Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HXT900's for FBL

I recently converted my 450 pro clone to FBL, using the DFC head and tarot zyx gyro. But I'm having problems with shakes. On my 250 I had to lower the gains to about 25 to stop shakes which seemed about right for that size, but on my 450 I have to lower the gain to 15 before I can get a shake free lift off. The problem with this is that the heli is quite unstable with such low gains.

I'm wondering could it be the hxt900's aren't up to the task for FBL? Or do I more likely have a vibration/mechanical problem?
youturnjason is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gday mate!

HXT 900's are ANALOG servos. They work fine on a FlyBarred heli, but not with a FBL heli. They are just not quick and precise enough. You may have to use some align servos but if cost is a serious issue then I believe HK-922's will be enough, but I would do a tad more researching before you take the cheap road!

However my take on a FBL heli is that if you can afford a Good 3Axis Gyro, then good servos are a MUST otherwise you will have little niggles all the time. Do yourself a favour and get some align servos. ZeeJays hobbies are in Queensland and their postage is fast.

Cheers,

Pav
Kozzy_98 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 03:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeh I wasn't sure how well they would work. I only used them as I had some lying around and my zyx was collecting dust so I decided to build a cheapy. I did notice that my feathering shaft is very slightly bent, spool up and flight were still smooth but I'll replace that and see if it lets me up my gains a bit. I'm also wondering would moving the balls in further on the servo arms help with accuracy. I'm currently at 12.5mm but I'm considering 10mm.

I'm planning on eventually getting a super combo I want to keep this heli as cheap as possible. My 250 is my baby this 450 was just cause I had spare electronics lying around and could grab a kit for $50 The new 415m servos have me interested though, cheaper than the 410s and faster.
youturnjason is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by youturnjason View Post
Yeh I wasn't sure how well they would work. I only used them as I had some lying around and my zyx was collecting dust so I decided to build a cheapy. I did notice that my feathering shaft is very slightly bent, spool up and flight were still smooth but I'll replace that and see if it lets me up my gains a bit. I'm also wondering would moving the balls in further on the servo arms help with accuracy. I'm currently at 12.5mm but I'm considering 10mm.

I'm planning on eventually getting a super combo I want to keep this heli as cheap as possible. My 250 is my baby this 450 was just cause I had spare electronics lying around and could grab a kit for $50 The new 415m servos have me interested though, cheaper than the 410s and faster.
Any luck with making the hxt900s work in an FBL setup?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine work ok. Balls at 11mm and gains at 40.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA-BQkh18VU&list=UUQikodoC3ojsxq69ZmtT55g&index=2&fea ture=plcp[/ame]
pani is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

3D με hxt900??? θεός!
Which one do you use for the tail?

Great, thanks!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using HXT900 with my SEV2 converted to flybarless stabilized by a ZYX-S. It was shaking initially when I was using the last hole on the servo arms. Changing the Pid gains didn't help. But then I decided to go along with the instructions and reduced the distance of the servo hole. It is now at about 12mm which is the second last hole on the arm.
StevenC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

They are gonna burn up quick smart. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.
Grab some HS65's if you want a reliable hard working cyclic servo. Cost is not that much. Building a cheapie is fine but they don't end up cheap after a hardware failure causes an accident.
distractor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

"The poor man pays twice", right?

Would love to hear opinions from people running/have run cheap servos + FBL for a long time... if any

Point taken, from both sides. It works, but it may fail quickly.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
3D με hxt900??? θεός!
Which one do you use for the tail?

Great, thanks!
Gotek 9257 clone, Zyx-S Tarot FBL 3.5 firmware. Himodel Ice 45A ESC governed at 3200 rpm, Turnigy 2218 motor 15 tooth pinion, Tarot fbl head, Trex 450 SE airframe.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by distractor View Post
They are gonna burn up quick smart. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.
Grab some HS65's if you want a reliable hard working cyclic servo. Cost is not that much. Building a cheapie is fine but they don't end up cheap after a hardware failure causes an accident.
54 flights as to now (i don't fly much). I had a small incident that resulted in landing on the head from an inverted auto that killed all three gears on them at flight 42. I changed the gears on all three of them and fly them still. The HS65 i was using on my beastx V2 450 were burning like crazy. Some say it was the firmware 2.0 using too much current on the servos. I don't care about cost. This is my beater heli, I usually fly my Turbulence D3. I will let you know when they burn up.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pani View Post
Gotek 9257 clone, Zyx-S Tarot FBL 3.5 firmware. Himodel Ice 45A ESC governed at 3200 rpm, Turnigy 2218 motor 15 tooth pinion, Tarot fbl head, Trex 450 SE airframe.
Thanks, nice!

Although my Goteck 9257 just died...
Old 10-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by pani View Post
The HS65 i was using on my beastx V2 450 were burning like crazy. Some say it was the firmware 2.0 using too much current on the servos.
I ran HS65's on V2 firmware for months without any problems. The servo determines how much current to draw from the power source, not the FBL unit. If they were burning up, then the servo frequency was incorrect or there was alot of binding in the head somewhere.

The HXT900's may very well last you quite a while but the 10 bucks you spent on them won't do you any favors when they cause a 40 dollar or more crash.
Take no offense, just my opinion.
distractor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in