Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default zyx software. my pitch direction changed

a very weird and scary thing happened while testing my mini titan today, which im converting to zyx fbl

i hovered it yesterday for the first time since fittting the zyx, and all was fine, apart from cyclic response which was very sluggish. so today i changed to the 'extreme' button setting in the tarot software.

this time it wouldnt take off with a normal amount of throttle. i thought this is weird so i lowered the stick. but then the heli shot up in the air about 15 feet. motor wasn't turning, so it sort of did an auto back to the ground. a very heavy landing but luckily on the skids

i looked at the software and what had happened is the slider that controls the overall swash / pitch direction had changed by itself from the negative 70 value (where id put it) to a positive 70 value. so i had a weird combo of negative pitch with increasing throttle, (explaining why it wouldnt lift off normally), and positive pitch on lowering the stick, propelling the heli up in the air with the blade momentum alone

luckily there was no damage. i dont know what went wrong but it appears to have only altered the swash direction / pitch setting and no other software settings. i'm going to check on my settings alot more carefully if i ever click on those 5 buttons again

Last edited by neverland; 10-26-2013 at 09:04 PM..
neverland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Post a picture of the blade grips and blades I bet the blade grips are on backwards
super bad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

no, it couldn't be as the maiden flight was fine, as described. it was definitely the tarot software that glitched. i had moved the pitch setting slider down, but it changed back by itself (and thats after the program had been saved, opened and closed successfully several times).

ive had settings ive altered not 'stick' on saving the zyx software plenty of times, but not change once saved and opened successfully on both computer and zyx.

it was clicking the extreme button that did it. another thing i dont like is the button you selected (ie hard core or extreme) is never still red when you reopen the software
Old 10-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default zyx software. my pitch direction changed

Clicking one of the preset buttons applies a set of settings to the ZYX. It's possible this also altered the collective direction, though it shouldn't.

Most importantly, though, you should always do a preflight check of gyro comp and stick inputs, particularly after changing settings.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Switching directions does happen, see this post . This can be consistently duplicated.

As the doc says, alway preflight. Also pay attention when adjusting in software as things can accidentally get changed and make sure you have good saved ini's.
AXN FPV
Daddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Totally agree with the preflight check. i just converted my 450 with zyx-s two days ago. on preflight check i realised the cyclics were reversed, even tho on pc setup it shows me having the correct stick directions set up. this was on john's app v1.22

would have crashed immediately if i skipped the preflight check.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

thanks for confirming guys. yes its quite dangerous and definitely pays to do a pre flight check, esp when you've just changed settings. i will be alot more careful in future. luckily for me it was just the overall swash movement that got altered, not elevator or aileron movement so it just went straight up and down again rather than tipping sideways (its amazing how far it goes even when the motors off lol). trouble with the mini titan is the swash movement is opposite to 450s, which im used to, (MT swash goes down, not up, to give positive pitch) so i did not automatically spot something was amiss from just looking at it spin up.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Check your manual and MT forums...I think the MT has leading edge control which should cause positive pitch when the swash moves up. Flipped blade grips cause this change to happen.

Both leading and trailing edge control work but generally leading edge control is preferred (there's dissertations on this!)

Gotta luv these little heli's

Oh, anf have fun flying
AXN FPV
Old 10-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the exact same thing happen on saturday.
on mine just the pitch changed from neg to positve.
I will now check the rest on my setting!
Crashtestheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy View Post
Check your manual and MT forums...I think the MT has leading edge control which should cause positive pitch when the swash moves up. Flipped blade grips cause this change to happen.

Both leading and trailing edge control work but generally leading edge control is preferred (there's dissertations on this!)

Gotta luv these little heli's

Oh, anf have fun flying
hi. just so nobody makes a set-up mistake, the mini titan (V1, at least) swash moves DOWN when you raise the throttle stick. its totally counter intuitive, but there you go. there was nothing wrong with my mechanical set-up, it was entirely a software glitch, as i described. i have flown the heli since altering the setting and its great..keep an eye on those zyx settings
Old 10-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverland View Post
hi. just so nobody makes a set-up mistake, the mini titan (V1, at least) swash moves DOWN when you raise the throttle stick. its totally counter intuitive, but there you go. there was nothing wrong with my mechanical set-up, it was entirely a software glitch, as i described. i have flown the heli since altering the setting and its great..keep an eye on those zyx settings
Yeah - I had one a few years back, it just looks wrong till you get used to it

DIdn't get around to FBL-ing it before I killed it unfortunately
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Mind putting a pic of the head your using? I know it moves down on the flybar head but with a flybarless head it should move up unless washout arms are still used.

And no intention to confuse anyone, my apologies. Learning is sometimes hard for me in my old age

However, you can change it and many do and prefer leading edge control regardless of the rc heli. Albeit theres been many a debate about about this on the forums.
AXN FPV
Old 10-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

oh right. i can see where your coming from. camera needs new batteries sorry. i have modified the standard fb head, so the main links up from the swashplate don't connect directly as most fbl heads do, but connect to an inbetween arm, which itself has a link up to the blade holder. its a common conversion.

by leading edge control do you mean the secondary link attaches to the leading side of the bladeholder? because they do. its the same as on my 450 fbl.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
... so the main links up from the swashplate don't connect directly as most fbl heads do, but connect to an inbetween arm, which itself has a link up to the blade holder. its a common conversion.

by leading edge control do you mean the secondary link attaches to the leading side of the bladeholder? .
Ah, gotcha. No need to do the pic. That arm is the washout and what reverses the swash (besides LE or TE control).

LE control is where the blade grip arm/ball joint is on the leading edge side of the blade.

TE control is where the blade grip arm/ball joint is on the trailing edge side of the blade.
AXN FPV
Old 11-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ok. id rather not have to extra bits in between but i suppose it might help cushion the servos in a crash. and its a free conversion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in