Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65L88 View Post
Pitch curve is XX-XX-50-75-100 in all flight modes.
+1
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinSouthern View Post
Surely though that means that you can't hover until you get to about 2/3 stick, thus leaving only about 1/3 stick for airborne collective control?
No offence intended but every CP flyer even 1st time CP-newbie should get use to hover above mid-stick on any CP heli including as small as nano CPx. This is no FP scale heli flying.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
No offence intended but every CP flyer even 1st time CP-newbie should get use to hover above mid-stick on any CP heli including as small as nano CPx. This is no FP scale heli flying.
The big question though is "how much" above mid-stick? If one is running only a moderate headspeed and enjoying some casual sport flying then it effectively means they'd be operating in only the top 1/4 of collective stick travel -- and that just doesn't make any sense to me.

Personally, I prefer to have the bird hovering around mid-stick in normal mode and change to a fully linear pitch curve only for inverted / IU modes (and just anticipate the drop when changing).
ColinSouthern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Surely though that means that you can't hover until you get to about 2/3 stick, thus leaving only about 1/3 stick for airborne collective control?
You still have the full positive pitch range, though. The point in doing this is, for 3d flying, the collective is symmetrical. That way you use approximately the same amount of stick from center for flying inverted as you do for equivalent upright flight. The key to using as little stick as possible above center for hover is to get the headspeed up. The higher the headspeed, the less pitch needed to hover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
+1. I started flying fp with hover set around 3/8 stick or so, and I had a pretty tough time kicking the habit when I made the move to CP. Every once in a great while I revert tback, and you know what happens then......
65L88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #45 (permalink)
3vw
Registered Users

Maybe this will make you feel a little better... Maybe not.

I just had a brown out inverted and actually hit TH and landed on concrete with almost zero damage. The Edge CF blades were only scratched!

This was the 3rd motor cutout I experienced after changing to a different/new stock ESC... Thinking that was the problem. So this time I decide to swap out the AR7200BX and see what happens.

So, I go over my setup carefully and then take her outside for a flight. She spools up fine only on take off it tips violently forward and destroys the CF blade tips and rips just about everything on the head. Thankfully my servos made it ok.

Hey here's a fun one... Ever think what you need to unscrew to simply replace that AR bracket (mine broke)? Just about every frickin screw on the frame including the servo screws and removing the Rx if you have it mounted up top like me. I sware the same designer that worked this AR bracket in must be the same guy who designed the front elevator servo access on the 130x... If you know what I mean.

At any rate... The 300x is plagued with some real bugs and don't let anyone accuse you of being at fault. Thankfully I own 3 - 300x's and that gives me enough spares to swap out after a crash and getter back up to crash, I mean fly again. ha ha

I'm not giving up on this bird (just yet) because when it's flying I just love it. It's just the manifestations of these bugs that get tiresome & costly... Especially when you lose a set of CF blades each time.

Hey, I bought the 3rd 300x to use the AR7200BX for a Goblin 500 I'm building... I sure don't want these bugs doing their thing on that beautiful machine now do I. Imaging the Goblin 500 doing a hard flip on take off like the 300x.

It does make me hesitant to use the AR7200BX for that now and do you blame me.
3vw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default keep it!

I went from a MCPX v2 to the 300x and mine is rock solid, the only thing I did was zeroed pitch with the align dig. pitch gauge. Really impressed with how solid and stable the little thing is and would def rec. fixing it and giving it a second shot.
brendon55 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
The big question though is "how much" above mid-stick? If one is running only a moderate headspeed and enjoying some casual sport flying then it effectively means they'd be operating in only the top 1/4 of collective stick travel -- and that just doesn't make any sense to me.

Personally, I prefer to have the bird hovering around mid-stick in normal mode and change to a fully linear pitch curve only for inverted / IU modes (and just anticipate the drop when changing).
The problem here is, you would have to make a conscious effort to remember what mode you're in all the time. If you were in IU, and thinking you were in normal mode, and dropped the collective down to, say, 3/8 stick to descend (remember, you're hovering at half stick in normal mode) you'd very likely wind up driving the heli into the ground. With my pitch curves set the way I do, I never have to think about what mode I'm in as long as I'm upright. I'll never slam the stick far below center unless I want to descend rapidly, and if I'm in normal mode, I'll just descend less rapidly than I would in either IU mode.
65L88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You still have the full positive pitch range, though. The point in doing this is, for 3d flying, the collective is symmetrical. That way you use approximately the same amount of stick from center for flying inverted as you do for equivalent upright flight. The key to using as little stick as possible above center for hover is to get the headspeed up. The higher the headspeed, the less pitch needed to hover.
Couldn't agree more - but - if one isn't doing 3D (sorry, but it just bores me to death) then I can only see a linear curve for sport flying & general flying as a disadvantage, as you'd be operating the in-flight range of the positive pitch range in about the top 1/4 of the stick travel - which on a 450 would make it both a bitch to land, and a PITA to make small power adjustments in flight.

And for what I'm doing, all a higher headspeed achieves is a reduced flight time due to the higher power requirements.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The problem here is, you would have to make a conscious effort to remember what mode you're in all the time.
Well yes - kind of - but that's just part and parcel of the sport. That's a bit like saying perhaps I should fly light twins with the gear and flaps down so I don't have to remember what "mode" the aircraft is in when it's time to land.

In my opinion, they're called flight modes for a reason -- so I can choose an appropriate mode/configuration for the type of flight I'm about to do. If it's sport flying then - personally - I don't want an IU mode and I don't want all collective movements restricted to the the top 1/4 of stick travel. On the other hand, if I'm going to be hovering inverted, I don't want only 2 degrees of -ve pitch and a throttle curve that cuts the engine at bottom stick!

Not sure how others get on, but never once have I forgotten which mode I'm in - IU modes are pretty hard to miss because the bird is screaming it's head off ...
Old 04-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Sounds like an FP-heli or plank flyer. Any CP-heli flyer especially 3D flyer has been or is getting use to zero pitch at mid-stick. The original mCPX is one of the worst powered CP heli and it took about 3/4 stick or less to hover. CP-newbie may find it odd but that's the way to learn it -- zero pitch at mid-stick. Any other higher powered CP heli requires less than 3/4 stick to hover. Makes perfect sense to me. What doesn't make sense is to have different upper pitch curves for different flight modes.

Quote:
Again, sounds like FP-heli flyer or CP-heli newbie. Ask any 3D heli flyer.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Well yes - kind of - but that's just part and parcel of the sport. That's a bit like saying perhaps I should fly light twins with the gear and flaps down so I don't have to remember what "mode" the aircraft is in when it's time to land.
Totally different scenario. The whole reason I'll use flaps on a plank is to slow down the plane. I'll do the exact opposite of your heli flight mode strategy. I'll set elevator to match flap so that when I flip the flap switch I won't get a surprise which is the whole point.

Quote:
In my opinion, they're called flight modes for a reason -- so I can choose an appropriate mode/configuration for the type of flight I'm about to do. If it's sport flying then - personally - I don't want an IU mode and I don't want all collective movements restricted to the the top 1/4 of stick travel. On the other hand, if I'm going to be hovering inverted, I don't want only 2 degrees of -ve pitch and a throttle curve that cuts the engine at bottom stick!

Not sure how others get on, but never once have I forgotten which mode I'm in - IU modes are pretty hard to miss because the bird is screaming it's head off ...
That's another bad idea. If you set throttle curve (thus HS) to be different significantly on a bigger heli for different flight modes, you can rip the main gear in the air just by the jump in throttle curve.

300X is a 3D heli for advance flyers (hint: 3D). Whichever way you set it up is up to you, but suggesting...
Quote:
Most have their normal pitch curve set to hover around mid-stick (around 5 deg)
especially for an advanced-level 3D heli is just plain wrong. Just ask any 3D flyer, doesn't even have to be advanced level flyer, or just CP-heli flyer.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
+1

Colin, I would strongly recommend setting your pitch curves this way only.
Even if you intend to fly sport only, you'll probably still progress onto some light 3D moves such as loops and rolls and will appreciate zero pitch at mid-stick.
stevebaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaker View Post
+1

Colin, I would strongly recommend setting your pitch curves this way only.
Even if you intend to fly sport only, you'll probably still progress onto some light 3D moves such as loops and rolls and will appreciate zero pitch at mid-stick.
I've spent a couple of hours in the sim trying it out and - I must admit - that it seems OK. I'll see how it goes on the real bird once I get a new gear set for the tail servo in a couple of days.

Thanks for the input everyone.[/end_thread_hijack]
Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: 15 second maiden flight / BS

Hey Colin, I bought two tail servo set by mistake if you haven't ordered one yet I'd let one or both go to ya cheap.

Sent from my Desire HD
Sentinel1537 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel1537 View Post
Hey Colin, I bought two tail servo set by mistake if you haven't ordered one yet I'd let one or both go to ya cheap.

Sent from my Desire HD
Thanks for the kind offer, but I've already ordered one -- and postage to New Zealand would probably cost more than the servo!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

LoL I was on tapatalk and didn't see where you was

Sent from my Desire HD
Old 04-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel1537 View Post
LoL I was on tapatalk and didn't see where you was

Sent from my Desire HD
Best place in the world to be if you want to keep away from terrorists - and the worst place in the world if you want RC helicopter parts in a hurry!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey we got the TSA feeling people up everyday to keep us safe from granny and little 11 year old girls:what: I do get parts fast tho

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yep same here.. Learned on CP and did this from the beginning I usually get a slight jump UP when i switch into idle up because my head-speed goes up but pitch stays the same.
KTMDirtFace is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in