Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ill see if I can make a video and upload it with my phone. Never really did video...off my phone. Camera is at a buddies house.
MSR
Stolen.....several 450s, dx7, my laptops. 2 slash 4x4's.

Last edited by UBHSTRY; 05-04-2012 at 08:43 AM..
UBHSTRY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
I find this hard to comprehend. If the cyclic can control all three servos the pitch should also work since the mixed pitch function is in the firmware and not the hardware. Are you sure your pitch curve is not all zeros? Should be set to 0,25,50,75,100 for setup purposes.
+1 Its a programme I cannot see how it could be faulty. It has to be a setup problem.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

hey guys ,im just a noob ,and i remember how frustrating it was to get my FM to work right, and im affaid to sell the bird, now that i mostly fly my nitros, so does anyone know of any type of test this poor guy can do to test it......maybe voltage test or something.....cause im stumpped, Besides saying...send it to me and i will look at it.....but im a noob.......????
cruzroy is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is one of those cases that I could probably fix it if I had it but too many variables to do anything from remote. Did or does the heli work and is it setup good less FM is the first question. If so I will suggest to reload the default factory settings to FM and start again.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Guys, it flys great without the flymentor. I have reset it on more than one occasion, when I get a chance to take a video of it, I will. I have been doing this for some time now, and just am perplexed by it. I HOPE it turns out to be user error
MSR
Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I think a vid is a good idea, shoot with either good lighting or daylight and show what the swash does when you tilt the heli in all four directions and how the swash reacts to all sticks commands. Hope we can sort it for you.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default set up vids fly mentor

hi Cruzroy ,i really appreciate the time and energy you put into the videos, i downloaded all six vids onto my iphone and i have been replaying them over and over for days , i have even ordered the same transmitter .
I am using a KDS 7xii trans at moment and flying a trex 450v2 simular to your bird. thanks to your vids i had learnt alot before i tried the install aswell as learning about the tx settings wich are the same for all tx's really . I am now trying to set it up on a pro but am having problems .
i also use the helibal on computer but i still took in all from vid as the explanations explained things as you did them so i can compare with the computer set up .
My girlfriend and i have been trying to pick your accent ,i am australian and i thought all americans sounded the same but you have a weird accent ,where do u live ?(from)
joshd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well thanks.....i wanted to do a video done by a noob, for noobs, caz i got to be honest, there is a lot of smart people here, but some times it sounds like they are talking Chinese, and they have been helpful to me, but if you don't know the terms, you can be like DUH??????? dr this? swash that,?? gain who????? GRYO......???( i like mine with roast beef and cheese)....LOL im from the bad economic state of mass, of the united states of America.........but im a Fooligan, i do different voices in my vids, and costumes too,( Just to protect the innocent!!!)...well thanks for the support, and there are plenty of other vids on my youtube account.....look for the bloopers one......starting out with helis, did not work well for me....good luck......P.S. i don't use the rudder gyro on the FM, cause i never had luck with it.....so i use the gp750, plus never liked HELIBAL, so i got the programmer......seems to be easier to understand, plus you can bring it to the field with you....to do adjustments.......unless you bring a laptop and a 4000 foot extension cord....well

THis is CRUZROY and im out-ta here..............
Old 05-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default simple steps for flyMentor

Do all settup and balance of ur coptor

install fm on heli

make sure u have a chanel assigned to switch FM from off to balance

DO NOT TRIM TX

use only the FM software Or mechanically adjust heli link rods

FM HATES TX TRIM

setuup ur heli and trim it with the FM mode on Off /0 setting

when ur heli hovers perfect you then turn on the FM to balace mode
and it will stabize perfectly

Ive settup many helis with FM

trust me when i say FM wants ur TX trims and sub trims to be at 0

FM makes a heli perfect for a total beginer to fly

But the catch 22 is..to settup FM properly u need to be able to Hover and adjust the heli and FM programing (you need intermediate flying level skillz)

Once it is settup anyone can fly the heli
gandal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am not dropping the ball on this guys, I just have not had time to get back at it. I have been moving, and I work allot. BUT, I got a nice little place, its a trailer with a full finished basement, on 3 acres and a swimming pool. Which is a huge change for me, I have lived the "vagabond" life style for the past several years. (I lived at my business, in at first a conversion van, and then a motor home.) So, this is a big change for me, and I have a flying field right in my back yard now... So, i still cant get to it quite yet, I have a boat to get in the water, a pool to open up, oh ya, finish moving, and a 65 fast back mustang that MUST get done...lol Working a full time + job and keeping my dealership is back breaking....thumbdown: Plus I need someone to buy my SuperCoupe.......but sure dont want to sell it. And if I can get the grand am in the garage and finished up, maybe....maybe, I can keep the ole girl. Pisses me off, every time I put a nasty little car together, I hardly have any money it, and cant keep it, cause I need to turn the cash....... Anyways, life is in the way for the next week or two, for me to actually get back to the flymentor issue I cant seem to solve.

And had no idea I was moving, hit me out of left field. I found out last friday........and had to move what was in the place, out. And it needed some work.....been vacant for 3 years and shut up. I had to do allot of fixen up, fast. Its all for the good though, I am willing to try the homeowner er....I mean trailer......ah, or was that mobile home........bit....
MSR
Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

UBHSTRY did you get the bugs worked out
Old 06-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Cruzroy,
First - thanks for all your work and awesome vids. Thanks to them I decided to get FM for myself. Luckily for me I have almost the same setup as you. CopterX 450 runing on Tgy 9x so I shamelessly copied all the settings. Before FM era I crashed almost every take off. Post FM I did 2 long flights and nothing damaged. When i finished my heart rate was that high so I should end on ER, hands shaking and legs all rubber. And I want MOAR. Highly addictive.

But there is one thing that concerns me. Position mode. Although I did almost exactly as you show in your vids, I'm still uncertain if this mode engages. Fact, I was flying rather high. About 5m (16.4ft) so position mode isn't workind at that altitude. But I had also flights within position mode alt range and I'm not sure about it.

While searching info about FM itself i found that you can set your Tx switches to manually tpggle between position and balance modes.

So I plugged green wire into CH7 on my Rx. And stuck at that point. In theory everything is ok. But how do I bind my Tx switches to achieve that? In case of Tgy 9x it's a miracle I even can control my heli - I'm still learning all those menus.

I've also found this pdf (http://users.telenet.be/MBRC/PICS/KD...or%20Setup.pdf). On the last page there is some kind of info how to do what I seek. Can someone translate it from English into Noobish? Please?

Ideally in form: press on Tx this, scroll to... set this to this and done. While in flight switch this to get this and that to get that.
Sabaot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can't help with your Tx but can tell you that the green wire controls tail gyro gain. You need to use the blue wire plugged into channel 7 to change FM modes.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hello from down under

cruzroy , Thank you for the Vidz

Great effort , flymentor should offer you some sort of royalty

Thanks for the vidz ...

Flymentor is certainly interesting to be kind .. And does not appear to be noob friendly at all .
I do like it when its working , but mine has a bad habbit of pulling to the right ..

Im trying to get it to stop doing it , but

Less FM , my heli hovers superbly and thought it a good candidate for FM for this reason .
Im using a Turnigy 9x Tx , and have ch7 mixed to Hov Pitch to control FM ...

Anyhow , lots of learning to do this end , and thanks for sharing

Matt (Australia)
old4570 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i you can get you bird to fly hands free for a few seconds, without fm, (with mechanical trimming, not radio).......when the FM is on it will fly perfect
Old 06-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Yeah

It can hover up to about 3 seconds when hitting the sweat spot .. less FM

Issue is this tendency to pull cyclic to the right when activating flymentor , when using the Hov Pitch pot on the Tx ..

How do you mix two switches to control flymentor ? That one has me stumped ATM .. eg / Gear and say Rudder D/R , or does it need to be Throttle hold ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4160.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	321541  
Old 06-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ok Solved it

Ok solved it ...

Hov pitch is now working , I can dial in and control FM now from the Tx

What was happening , when FM was off and I twisted to one mode or the other it was (Hov Pitch) introducing a variance (pulling to the right) ,

and I went to Hov Pit [ second screen ] and adjusted the values to -50 , and this seems to have removed the pull to the left ..

Now I just need to re-trim my heli , and get on with some flying ...
Old 06-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default this is how i got it to work.....FM likes switches not knobs

Hit you menu button

then hit the down arrow

hit the menu button again

then hit the down button till you get to throttle hold

if the throttle hold is OFF, hit the + or - till it says INH

Hit the menu button to save

while in that menu , use up arrow to go to E.POINT

hit the menu button to get to endpoint menu, then hit down arrow till you get to the bottom AUX, (that is channel 8)

now make sure the tall switch on the left hand side of the 9X is flipped away from you, (we will make that ON)
and make sure the endpoint is "100", + or - button

now flip the same switch towards you

and with + or - button set that endpoint to "0"

now hit the menu button to save settings

then hit exit 2 times to get back to main page

now the long switch on the left is an ON OFF switch for channel 8, so i dont remember witch wire green or gray, the wire for positioning,
and it will turn it on and off......thats the best i can do ...hope that helps, i just purchase a futaba radio, and it lets me assign any switch to ant thing, the 9X is a great radio, i got to, and i wont let the go, but it will only assign 5 things, so if you willing not to have throttle hold, thats what i would do.....just check if its the gree or gray....the first flymentors use the grey for gain, but the newer ones use green......so you would need the grey......but just check before you fly......im still a NOOB too
Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default why do you have a timer on your 9X

why do you have a timer on your 9X, it has a nice one in it already?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
It can hover up to about 3 seconds when hitting the sweat spot .. less FM

Issue is this tendency to pull cyclic to the right when activating flymentor , when using the Hov Pitch pot on the Tx ..

How do you mix two switches to control flymentor ? That one has me stumped ATM .. eg / Gear and say Rudder D/R , or does it need to be Throttle hold ?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thank you

Thank you cruzroy , I will try that today

Timer is there , as I can see it in an instant , can count up or down .
Is very easy + fast to set up , is at my fingertips .

I like to time my flights , have 4 batteries ATM , of varying quality .. Cheapest one does about ? 8 min , the best one does about 11 min , when I fly , I have no idea about time , might only feel like a few minutes and in reality its a lot more .

Its functional , very easy to set , very fast to set , counts up or down [ down has an alarm at the end ] and I can see the counter with a quick glance ..

Life has taught me / find the path of least resistance that will take you to your goal , too often have I taken the hard road , Im getting old , tired , so doing things the easy way is looking ever more tempting .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in