Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question

Hi Howard,

I ordered the CPII-c3 yesterday, will this work on the raptor 50 without modifiying anything like the digital servos? Im really just a newbie in this field of hobby so I dont understand a lot of terms in the heli side (ccpm, psm...). Thanks guru.

"To EaCh HiS oWn"
Black Sparrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sparrow View Post
Hi Howard,

I ordered the CPII-c3 yesterday, will this work on the raptor 50 without modifiying anything like the digital servos? Im really just a newbie in this field of hobby so I dont understand a lot of terms in the heli side (ccpm, psm...). Thanks guru.
Hi,

It's a little dangerous to mix up CPD4 information with CPII information in the same thread. I have answered questions on both systems within this thread. While the two systems both use IR thermo technology to facilitate stabilization, that's where the similarities end. Comparing these two systems is like comparing an '09 Cadillac CTS to a '01 Toyota Corolla. Both good cars, but not in the same class. Let me be very clear about this. The original Co Pilot (CPD4) was designed in the early 2000's. Due to major advancements in microcontroller technology, and 1000's of hours of R&D, the new CPII does not suffer from any of the limitations associated with the older CPD4 design. It is fully compatible with all radio systems, all analog or digital servos, and virtually any aircraft configuration. No workarounds such as the use of analog servos or servo buffers are required when using the CPII system. Here is a couple of shots to show the size difference of the systems:

Top View - New Sensor vs. CPD4/FS8 Sensor

Side View - New Sensor vs. CPD4/FS8 Sensor

Top View - FS8 "Z" Sensor vs. CoPilot II Vertical Sensor

Side View - FS8 "Z" Sensor vs. CoPilot II Vertical Sensor

New 3 wire cable (standard aileron extension) vs. CPD4/FS8 ribbon cable
Howard Matos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Howard. You've been a lot of help specially explaining the difference in these two system. I cant wait for it to arrive and mount on my heli. Now I know I made the right choice in getting the CPII instead of the cpd4.

"To EaCh HiS oWn"
Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is it available yet?

"To EaCh HiS oWn"
Old 02-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sparrow View Post
Is it available yet?
Hi,

Not yet but I'll let you know as soon as they are!
E2C_Mech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

keeping this thread alive...

"To EaCh HiS oWn"
Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

until it arrives...

"To EaCh HiS oWn"
Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

So in terms of functionality, this device is no different than the AP2000i?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Apparently you didn't read the responses to my questions. It is functionally better if it flies over snow better and doesn't react to low sun on the horizon.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes I did read the reply: "There is no problem flying over snow, cold sky, or low sun on the horizon.".

Seems like a general statement to me. I'm sure AP200i could claim the same, it has no problem flying in these conditions, just not optimal when compared to ideal condition.

I guess I was looking for a more detail explanation as to why this device will perform better. Is it because of a different sensor technology? Software? Or the integration of the vertical sensor?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Howard,
Any chance the manual will be available via .pdf anytime soon?

Thanks!
1fastt2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastt2 View Post
Howard,
Any chance the manual will be available via .pdf anytime soon?

Thanks!
Hi,

We're working on the manual now, but it probably won't be ready until close to the time that the product ships, which is still slated for end March '09. But we do have a really good flow diagram already. Check the following link:

http://www.fmadirect.com/other_technical.htm

From the above link, click on the document titled "Co Pilot II Flow Diagram". If you take a minute to go over this, you can see how all the menu systems work for the Co Pilot II using the IRNet programmer. You'll need to zoom in and scroll around. It's really simple to set up. Of course, if you're interested in knowing how the sensors mount, you can check the photos presented earlier in this thread. Also, for background information on Co Pilot technology, you can check the manuals for the older systems. Although setup, features (like 3D modes) and compatibility are vastly improved and simplified, the basic principles have not changed; meaning the system still uses FMA patented thermo technology for stabilization as opposed to gyros for instance.

CPD4 Manual -
http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1126.pdf

FS8 Co Pilot -
http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1239.pdf

The FS8 differs substantially from either the CPD4 or the CPII in that it included an 8 channel FM receiver. The new CPII is similar to the CPD4 in that it is a stand-alone system to be used with your existing radio receiver.
E2C_Mech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Howard,
Thanks for the quick reply. Would you be able to briefly explain the calibration process required for the CPII?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastt2 View Post
Howard,
Thanks for the quick reply. Would you be able to briefly explain the calibration process required for the CPII?
Hi,

If the customer purchases the vertical sensor, calibration is continual and automatic. Just fly the model. If the vertical sensor is not included in the purchase, the system knows it is not connected. An extra menu option comes up on the IRNet programmer for manual calibration. In this case, customer's are advised to calibrate the unit once per flying day or whenever the weather changes significantly during a flying day. Calibration in the CPII is reduced to a weather check only now. Put the aircraft on it's nose, tail, or one wing down, then press the ENTER button on the programmer. The system records the weather reading. That's it.

Either with or without the vertical sensor, the temp differential between earth and sky is presented as a temperature variance on the LCD. It is available any time the system is operational. If the weather is extremely poor, the system warns the customer. If the temperature variance is inadequate for stabilization to work properly, the system notifies the customer and disables stabilization. If you check the flow diagram, you will see these warnings under the main menu option "CHOOSE TASK? >PREFLIGHT".
Howard Matos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like a great unit and I cant wait to recieve mine. Maybe your post of how easy this unit will be to operate will sway some more customers to purchase one.

Thank you!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still waiting...Sound really a product. Can't wait for it to arrive.

"To EaCh HiS oWn"
Old 02-25-2009, 11:53 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im having dreams at night installing the copilot II on my heli. Now I cant wait to sleep so I can have the same dream again. Any news yet when it will be shipped .

"To EaCh HiS oWn"
Old 02-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do all the sensors require a clear view of the horizon ?
Is the forward part of the tailboom the only mounting alternative ?
Darkside41 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #59 (permalink)
Jay
Registered Users

Default copilot 2

Ordered mine yesterday, look forward to testing it out
Jay is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's March!!! Just a few more days...

"To EaCh HiS oWn"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in