Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Fly mentor help - USB can not connect to HeliBal

I have read and follow the instruction from the manual and the tips from the forum, USB can not make connection to the software, any suggestion?

I have installed the Flymentor with the CCD and Sensor hook up to the controller, power up the heli, there's flashing Green light in the controller, after running the HeliBal software, the lower left corner says " connecting..." after 5+ minutes, still no connection.

I am running Windows XP, from device manager, port (com4) shows KDS link line, right click ppt, it shows "this device is working properly"

Do I receive a bad unit? I can control the cyclic servos but the swash is not moving in the proper direction, I am not able to get in the software from the USB to do setup.
estarter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a fairly common problem. If you look back over the last two years of threads (as I did night before last) I would bet that there are more than fifty discussions about just this same issue. Most of them were solved by loading the device manager in a separate file, then getting into your computers own setup system, changing the port info that is now not working on the connection by disabling the flymentor enabled port. And then connecting with the separate device manager file. This enables the port to function. I know this sounds convoluted but for most it works. I did say most. I ended up buying the separate field progammer and setting up my fm with it after trying just about everything including multiple computers with different op systems. Here is the discussion link.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=177346&page=3
And here is the bulk of the setup info in short.
Hi,
I installed Flymentor 3D software on a PC desktop and PC Laptop both running Windows7.
I downloaded Flymentor software from Helipal which comes as a zip file; I extracted the files into a folder. In the Programs file I made a new folder and named it KDS Flymentor, from the folder that I extracted the files to I copied the Vista files i.e. kdslink.info, lowcdc.sys and KDS-Flymentor.exe into the KDS Flymentor file in the programs file.
I then switched on the TX and plugged the usb lead into the FM and connected the lipo, plugged the usb into the computer. On to the computer screen comes the pop up to say that a new device has been found and the computer tries to install the device drivers but it then says that it failed. Keep the device plugged in and go to the Control Panel on the computer in the top right search box type in device manager, when device manager appears in the menu click on Update device drivers on the next screen list, look for the KDS Link Line which should have a small red and yellow with an exclamation mark on it (this means there was a problem when trying to install). Right click on this and choose update drivers. The next screen that appears choose “Browse my computer for driver software next screen click on browse and find in the Programs file the folder that contains the Flymentor drivers. Click OK and the computer should start installing the drivers, this takes about 3 minutes then you will get a warning about installing the drivers click on install anyway and then should come a message saying that the drivers have installed successfully.
Go back to the programs file and find the folder that the Flymentor files are in and right click on KDS-Flymentor.exe select create shortcut then drag the shortcut to the Desktop Double click on that and the program should start and connect to the heli.
Tony
Hope this helps, try this first and if it doesn't work there is a separate link to a site where you can change the port config on your computer to recognize the link.
Randy
Old 04-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

50 discusions on installing Helibal useing XP ?.

Did you load from a disc or download ? If you loaded from disc try removing it and download it from the KDS site. Be sure to load the driver when the found new software window pop's up. Do not just close the window.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I give up, I think I have a bad controller, thanks for the reply.

I reinstalled the driver many time on 3 different computer/laptop running Windows XP, Vista and 7, the USB cable is working, I can see the KDS link line in the device manager when connected and when I unplugged the USB cable, KDS device is gone.

I have tried 3 versions of the HeliBal, one from the CD, one from the KDS, one from the Hobby King site, the HeliBal is working, here's what I got:

USB cable connected to controller port, no power to controller -

USB unplugged: Scan KDS line ask me to "retry" , left lower corner "no adaptor"

USB plugged in: San KDS line is gone, left lower corner " connecting "

Power up the controller - still " connecting "

I have repeat this process 20 time with or without power up the controller, the controller has flashing green light when power up.

I am lost!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
This is a fairly common problem. If you look back over the last two years of threads (as I did night before last) I would bet that there are more than fifty discussions about just this same issue. Most of them were solved by loading the device manager in a separate file, then getting into your computers own setup system, changing the port info that is now not working on the connection by disabling the flymentor enabled port. And then connecting with the separate device manager file. This enables the port to function. I know this sounds convoluted but for most it works. I did say most. I ended up buying the separate field progammer and setting up my fm with it after trying just about everything including multiple computers with different op systems. Here is the discussion link.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=177346&page=3
And here is the bulk of the setup info in short.
Hi,
I installed Flymentor 3D software on a PC desktop and PC Laptop both running Windows7.
I downloaded Flymentor software from Helipal which comes as a zip file; I extracted the files into a folder. In the Programs file I made a new folder and named it KDS Flymentor, from the folder that I extracted the files to I copied the Vista files i.e. kdslink.info, lowcdc.sys and KDS-Flymentor.exe into the KDS Flymentor file in the programs file.
I then switched on the TX and plugged the usb lead into the FM and connected the lipo, plugged the usb into the computer. On to the computer screen comes the pop up to say that a new device has been found and the computer tries to install the device drivers but it then says that it failed. Keep the device plugged in and go to the Control Panel on the computer in the top right search box type in device manager, when device manager appears in the menu click on Update device drivers on the next screen list, look for the KDS Link Line which should have a small red and yellow with an exclamation mark on it (this means there was a problem when trying to install). Right click on this and choose update drivers. The next screen that appears choose “Browse my computer for driver software next screen click on browse and find in the Programs file the folder that contains the Flymentor drivers. Click OK and the computer should start installing the drivers, this takes about 3 minutes then you will get a warning about installing the drivers click on install anyway and then should come a message saying that the drivers have installed successfully.
Go back to the programs file and find the folder that the Flymentor files are in and right click on KDS-Flymentor.exe select create shortcut then drag the shortcut to the Desktop Double click on that and the program should start and connect to the heli.
Tony
Hope this helps, try this first and if it doesn't work there is a separate link to a site where you can change the port config on your computer to recognize the link.
Randy
What is this "separate field programmer" that you mention above;and from whom is it available? I can't find it referenced on any of the retail sites that sell the Fly Mentor.
DanF is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF View Post
What is this "separate field programmer" that you mention above;and from whom is it available? I can't find it referenced on any of the retail sites that sell the Fly Mentor.
Hobbyking sell it but it is on back order, lot's on ebay. Not sure why you cant find it most places that sell Flymentor also sell the programmer. Just Google Flymentor programmer.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am getting a good used FM with field programmer sometime next week, will see how it works out.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarter View Post
I am getting a good used FM with field programmer sometime next week, will see how it works out.
It works like a charm! The wording is different but once you wrap your head around the concepts you can progress through your setup like clockwork. It is usually in stock at HK by the way.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13288
Old 04-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

is the ppc just plug and play?
xdarkestangel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes! And if you mess up and get lost it will also give you the option to reset to factory settings. You can literally go through the whole setup with the field programmer. One of these days someone here will have to do a step by step with one of these. With the field programmer starting at the factory presets all that you really have to worry about is setting your swash level, orienting it correctly, making sure tail servo direction, and preset limits are correct and it will almost fly itself if using the FM as a tail gyro also. If not you just set up the tail gyro to servo as you normally would.
I may end up doing a photo step by step with the field unit one of these days and have Ivor look it over so we can have more usable info on these since most threads here start as a usb connectivity issue and lots of us just buy the programmer and move on.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The new FM from Hobby King is defective, I got servo movement from the controller but not able to make any changes like servo and stick direction with the FM programmer.

The used FM I got is working properly, first time to use the Hobby King customer service, wish me luck.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarter View Post
The new FM from Hobby King is defective, I got servo movement from the controller but not able to make any changes like servo and stick direction with the FM programmer.

The used FM I got is working properly, first time to use the Hobby King customer service, wish me luck.
When I had an issue with something at HK it took a few days for me to log in to get the live customer service feature. But they solved it immediately.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
When I had an issue with something at HK it took a few days for me to log in to get the live customer service feature. But they solved it immediately.
Yes, they solved it immediately. The 800 phone # works but the operator told me to send it back to Hong Kong and their tech will check it over, when I asked if I can send the defective unit to USA warehouse, he replied "NO".

Looks like I have to use registered mail.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man, I am sorry. That sucks having to send it all the way back just to get it replaced. It is the byproduct of great pricing. Personally is is worth the hassle at almost any cost.
I am soooooo happy with my Fm now that I have everything sorted out.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

The used FM is working OK, needs some fine tuning in the programming, the HK450 I'm flying has some vibration, looks like the FM can live with some vibration.

Thanks guys for the great info here.

Pics and test flight video clip:

http://www.youtube.com/v/8hlIdWojAT4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	224940   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	224941   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0004.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	224942   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0005.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	224943  
Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not the best surface try to set it up over grass if possible but well done.
As soon as you know that the returned one has been delivered chase them up with the delivery number. They will sit on it for weeks before they even open the parcel if you dont chase them.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Again I wanna to thank you guys for the great info.

The FM is working great in my HK450, the heli is vibration free now, the tail shaft was slightly bend from previous crash, going to send the bad FM to HK this morning.

Here's my DX7 settings for reference:

FM balance gain = 70, gyro gain = 30

Position Mode: gear=0, aux2=0
Manual Mode : gear=0, aux2=1 or gear=1, aux2=0
Horizontal Mode: gear=1, aux2=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FMx2.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	225095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mode position.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	225096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mix1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	225097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mix2.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	225098  
Old 04-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

This was pretty much in line with mine when it was last flown using the FM as a tail gyro successfully.
Nice Job!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

the file you inst in program files,,,was that in program files x86?
HELIDIPP is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hello Friends,
I've read all most all of the forums on the subject but still can't make it work.
I am running windows 7 and the USB adapter cannot be found by Helibal. I believe everything is connected correctly. I have tried every comm port, every version on the driver, every port #, every compatibly mode and every USB port. This is way to complicated for a simple USB connection. What am I missing.
Thank You
Jerry
Jerry Campbell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in