Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows

Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows Ladies who fly Helis and Wives of Heli Flyers. Guys, please leave the new threads to the ladies

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use to work in retail when I was in school years ago and a manager at the time told me that 10% of the people out there are jerks but unfortunately, those are the ones that stick in your mind. I never forgot that and now I just try to remember the other 90% when I run into one. I was flying at a park last week and had several people stop and talk and ask questions once I landed and were very polite and interetsed. Then one older lady come by and says "what are you doing" in a very bad tone while I am flying. I wanted to say "cooking dinner" or something else stupid but I sucked it up and simply responded "flying helicopters". So she looks at me and asks "where's the ten year old?". Again I wanted to just slap her but I smiled and responded "right here!". I don't know why but she just bolted when I said that. Just ignore the jerks and let them wallow in thier own misery.

LouP
LouP is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Again I wanted to just slap her but I smiled and responded "right here!". I don't know why but she just bolted when I said that

I'm NEVER growing up!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

The requirement for an instructor/buddy box, et. al. sounds like total garbage to me.

So does the "professional pilot" business.

Sounds like they are taking the hobby quite a bit too seriously.

You should just be able to go out and fly!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

As far as I know professional means you get paid for the activity. Take for example there are no professional athletes in the Olympics but there are some bloody good ones.

As for being female at this sport I think it is just the 'professional males' afraid of being shown up. I'm male and it is nice to see females on the flightline - especially wearing tight shorts - but that's another topic to argue about

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Morley F1 60 Max (OS 61LX-H), Hirobo SDX (OS 55HZ-H, GY701), Trex 450SE + some planks
MarkD is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

PRÔTOS 500 Brain HK-3026
PRÔTOS 500 StretchVbar HK-3026

Last edited by rchelijc; 02-15-2012 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: triple posted
rchelijc is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

PRÔTOS 500 Brain HK-3026

Last edited by rchelijc; 02-15-2012 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: double post
Old 02-15-2012, 03:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
The requirement for an instructor/buddy box, et. al. sounds like total garbage to me.

So does the "professional pilot" business.

Sounds like they are taking the hobby quite a bit too seriously.

You should just be able to go out and fly!
I disagree, but let me explain.

If I wanted to just go and fly, any public park is fair game.

If you're talking under 300g planes, then fine. If you're talking blade MSR or 100-sized helis, then fine.

But hell no, if some unknown shows up with a 54" plank or the logo XXtreme.

If I'm at a flying club, then there are certain things that I expect. I expect that anyone flying to be of sufficient skill so that my risk of being injured by their loss of control is minimised. And vice versa. And the risk of severe injury goes up with size.

If my left arm gets cut off by an out-of-control 90-sized heli, and I find out it's because a member had brought a never-flown-before 'buddy' and decided to hand the controls over to that buddy for some 'fun'... I'd be extremely pissed off. Not that losing an arm would piss me off any less, but you know what I mean

But, whoever does the confirmation/certification, needs to apply that equally to anyone without discrimination.

As for the buddy box, if it's applied equally to both male and female, I think it's a great idea. I doubt any instructor has the reflex or strength to yank the controls out of a new pilot's hands who insists is still in control, when it is clearly about to plough into some spectators.

I for one would love a whole lot more female pilots around. And all should be treated the same with no special quarter given.

PRÔTOS 500 Brain HK-3026
Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

In the real flying world, thats why we instructors keep D cell flashlights around the cockpit.
Trex 600 ESP, Gaui 425
edhall is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelijc View Post
I disagree, but let me explain.

If I wanted to just go and fly, any public park is fair game.

If you're talking under 300g planes, then fine. If you're talking blade MSR or 100-sized helis, then fine.

But hell no, if some unknown shows up with a 54" plank or the logo XXtreme.

If I'm at a flying club, then there are certain things that I expect. I expect that anyone flying to be of sufficient skill so that my risk of being injured by their loss of control is minimised. And vice versa. And the risk of severe injury goes up with size.

If my left arm gets cut off by an out-of-control 90-sized heli, and I find out it's because a member had brought a never-flown-before 'buddy' and decided to hand the controls over to that buddy for some 'fun'... I'd be extremely pissed off. Not that losing an arm would piss me off any less, but you know what I mean

But, whoever does the confirmation/certification, needs to apply that equally to anyone without discrimination.

As for the buddy box, if it's applied equally to both male and female, I think it's a great idea. I doubt any instructor has the reflex or strength to yank the controls out of a new pilot's hands who insists is still in control, when it is clearly about to plough into some spectators.

I for one would love a whole lot more female pilots around. And all should be treated the same with no special quarter given.
I agree I deff wont be anywhere near someone who says that ain't been flying helis long... I am very cautious of helis, I have seen the horror videos. I am very responsible I wont fly unless i am very comfortable and if I ain't I get on the buddy box with my bf... I am now accepted in the club and the guys are nice and I always get comments like, oh wow that her flying or "what yall dont realize is that is all her flying" lol I love it I amaze them... I also got the comment of "she the only girl who comes out here and actually flys" lol

I agree with safety rules, but girls do get treated different in this hobby. Women have always had to fight for women rights to be equal
epoweredrcgirl09 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Where I am , the fields here usually require membership , training certification & insurance
I was told it was for safety & make sure you have enough training & understanding of things like , not flying over spectators , emergency procedures , etc,...So I guess some of that is going to be pretty standard at club fields ,...but I would certainly hope that you are not being judged on gender ,....
I think if you keep showing up , & keep your cool & get certified or whatever they want
they will realize your not going away & that whoever has an issue will just have to deal with it , just dont play into it , be nice & fly well & they will get over it
I dabbled with R/C aircraft as a boy & now at almost forty
I am just now learning heli's, Well I dont know how far my heli hobby will go ,... I will say.however ,... that it was the flying I saw from a woman that inspired me to try out heli's this was the first 3D I ever saw & it still blows me away....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fya_XECVW6E[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQDulkMaPpY[/ame]
dogtoy is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wow

This all sounds so rediculous!

Any woman with enough talent, dedication, will and stick time
could fly just as well or better than any man. Why is it such a wierd concept
to some people about women flyers? It's stupid and closeminded.
I think it would be great if more girls flew, it would be some nicer scenery at the
field instead of all the normal "hobby dorks" (like me)! lol

And.... I don't know about those AMA fields and clubs. They really don't sound like
too much fun. IMO
Losi 8e 3 / Airtronics M12s
ford9inch is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

wound up in this weird part of helifreak....somehow..???...???? why does this sound lieka club that flies in a nascar pattern? all go the same way please as to not make me nervous , if i get nervous i make new rules for certain people type club.HAHAHAHAHAH good luck
Old 07-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford9inch View Post
This all sounds so rediculous!

Any woman with enough talent, dedication, will and stick time
could fly just as well or better than any man. Why is it such a wierd concept
to some people about women flyers? It's stupid and closeminded.
I think it would be great if more girls flew, it would be some nicer scenery at the
field instead of all the normal "hobby dorks" (like me)! lol

And.... I don't know about those AMA fields and clubs. They really don't sound like
too much fun. IMO
The AMA sanctioned club fields are good if you can get into a good one, but just like everything else in life there are some bad seeds here and there.
I love flying at the field that I fly at, everyone is awesome and there are a lot of old timers mixed in with younger folks too. Unfortunatly I dont think that we have any lady members as of this time but I honestly dont see any of the folks at my field turning into douche bags over gender.

As far as the OP, it really sucks hearing that there are still folks out there that for some retarded reason think that its still 1950 instead of 2012.
I hope you can find somewhere more welcoming. Just dont give up, if you do those turds win
JETI USA
www.MSHUSA.com, www.MSheli.com
mamartin is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let's keep it all in perspective.

It's all about people's comfort level, and different clubs retain similar people who are on similar wavelengths and similar things they're 'uncomfortable' around.

For example, I sometimes fly at an unsanctioned field, hence no rules. When someone turns up with a 700e, I always stand next to a tree trunk, until I feel comfortable that they're low risk takers, and that they are in full control of their heli at all times, and the build looks meticulous.

There are clubs here whose members still believe and insist that the use of Lipos is not allowed, and give anyone a hard time the moment they find out they're using lipos.

Just move on.

Not worth the discomfort and tension of the herd when you're supposed to be relaxing and having a great time flying.

PRÔTOS 500 Brain HK-3026
Old 10-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrcgirl09 View Post
I agree with safety rules, but girls do get treated different in this hobby. Women have always had to fight for women rights to be equal
I'm sorry but your general demeanor and this comment specifically indicate that you walk in looking for a fight. IME thats a sure way to find it. While women in general have had to fight for equal treatment for a very long time I believe that time is largely behind us. Here's an example of a women I've been personally privileged to meet. http://www.greatwomen.org/women-of-t...s/2/193-Warner Emily Howell Warner, first female airline pilot in the US. Emily had to fight alongside the women of her age for their due and the world has changed for their efforts. Don't forget that there were not just women but also many men who were fighting this fight as well because they believed a change was needed. To suggest that it's still anywhere close to the world that she came of age in is IMO not fair to the fight of the women who opened the doors to those who now follow in their footsteps. I fly with many women at work and I can tell you that for the vast majority of men the sex of the person sitting next to us is irrelevant. Just as it should be for the women who fly. Perhaps this will illustrate just how dramatically different my parents and your grandparents world is from ours(I looked up your profile to see how old you are. Not stalking just out of curiosity. Lets just say I'm a lil' north of twice your age. I'm more than a little jealous) I recently sat next to a fellow employee who was pumping breast milk while at work. In the world of our forebears that simply can not happen on the flight deck of a commercial airliner. Guess what, in our world, still irrelevant. What is relevant is whether or not that person can do the job. Sure occasionally we still get an octogenarian trying to be nice and frequently female who will say something along the lines of "I didn't know they let girls fly" The only reasonable response to this, again IMO, is just to smile and realize how sad that at one time this WAS the ignorant world people lived in. OTOH I've met a few women who seem to believe that every problem they ever face in life is a result of some conspiracy to keep them down because of their sex. This I believe would also prove offensive to women like Emily who paved the way just for the chance to compete. For me the mere existence of a special section for women on this forum indicates a sort of ignorance which serves to continue to separate and prove divisive.

"I am now accepted in the club and the guys are nice and I always get comments like, oh wow that her flying or "what yall dont realize is that is all her flying" lol I love it I amaze them... I also got the comment of "she the only girl who comes out here and actually flys" lol"

You seem to enjoy the special attention garnered on you due to the mere fact of your sex. Thats a double edged sword. On the one hand you get seemingly positive attention that a male pilot might not and like it. On the other hand you rile against any negative attention due to the same fact. Have you stopped to consider that any comment on your participation or skill set that comes focused on your gender is really a subtle form of sexism? Might I suggest in the future you give both your supporters and detractors that focus on sex the following remark. "Whats my gender got to do with anything?" You don't have to be nasty when you say it. On the contrary, be nice. Your question may provoke some soul searching on the part of those you come in contact with and if not just remember that while their will always be ignorance and there's not much you can do about peoples minds gender equality is a law in this country. You no longer have to fight for the things that matter. The people that went before you ensured you had that right.

Hopefully you will find a way to become a contributing part of the hobby. Join the AMA, pay your club dues, know and follow the rules and expect, nay demand, your gender be irrelevant. If ANYONE makes it a matter of sex, the world you live in and the AMA in this case in particular has given you every tool you need to force them to respect you............As an equal. Neither more nor less than.

Men and women will always have certain unique issues. The enjoyment of RC helicopters doesn't need to be one of them.
Steve Graham is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I vented and no longer care about what happened in the past and no longer care what guys think of me cause my awesomenesss will out shine the fact that I am a girl

So on that note I am closing this thread....
epoweredrcgirl09 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in