Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Ufly

Ufly Walkera Ufly Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New WOW UFLY

Hello Freaks!

I recently got a WOW UFLY. Last night I played around with it a bit in the basement just brining the head speed up and getting the skids light making sure every thing was in order. I noticed a couple things and wanted to know if this is normal for this bird.

1. It really wants to go left, and correction does not typically help much while still in the ground wash. A couple times I did pop it a little more getting it up and things were better.

2. It sort of feels mushy. Is this just the FP nature of the lack of head speed of beeing low tot he ground and it not responding well?

I also noticed that some of the stock hardware is lack luster. IE the screws for the tail fina nd boom supports. I striped out a couple of them with minor tip overs. I replaced them with some small self tapers.

Im looking forward to this rain letting up so I can get it up and out of the wash quickly to see how it really behaves.

Thanks

Mike
TopKatz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great little heli for what it is. It has really taught me many lessons. The best lesson deals with how fast the ground comes up towards the heli when I do stupid stuff.

Going left is natural due to the size along with torque and the tail pushing left. You will learn to dial in a bit of right with out thinking about it when you start in a hover. Yes, it is more stable when you gain a little altitude.

What are you comparing this to when you mention it feels mushy? If you fly collective pitch, then yes, FP is slow to respond.

Luster? hehe. It's a walkera. It's good for what it is, cheap to fix and does fly stable enough to help learn basic hovering, nose in and flying skills. Goop glue is your friend on this thing too. It holds well although allows you to pull apart when you need to take things apart. Also works good on the canopy.

Want something that feels more like on a rail, try a t-rex 450. The ufly has really helped me with learning to fly and I enjoy it for what it is. My first hover with the 450 was like, flying a dream. So, use the ufly for training and move up as you can.

Stable flight on the 450
darmie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopKatz View Post
1. It really wants to go left, and correction does not typically help much while still in the ground wash. A couple times I did pop it a little more getting it up and things were better.
This is called "Translating tendency", it's the thrust from the tail rotor pushing the helo sideways whilst it is still in ground effect, it seems REALLY marked when you are first learning, but after a while you'll be able to lift it off with a wee dab of right cyclic to counteract this.
I can't even remember the last time I even noticed this tendency, and I've only been flying for 10 months, you get over it real quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopKatz View Post
2. It sort of feels mushy. Is this just the FP nature of the lack of head speed of beeing low tot he ground and it not responding well?

I also noticed that some of the stock hardware is lack luster. IE the screws for the tail fina nd boom supports. I striped out a couple of them with minor tip overs. I replaced them with some small self tapers.
FP's are soggy by nature, the variable head speed doesn't help in this matter. You'll get used to it.
As for the "lack lustre" build quality; Well, it's a Walkera. Use it to learn to hover and basic orientation, and then get yourself a quality heli,
Do you have a sim?
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I used to fly CP .30's and .60's.

I turned the EXT up all the way and things are much better. Way less mush to it. Also getting it out of the wash quick is key.

However I got cocky with it in the garage (it has rained for 5 days here) and smacked the wall good doing some side hovers.

Damage is tail drive, tail rotor rod, main gear and tail drive gear. That will teach me : (

Got my parts ordered and it all taken apart.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You're welcome.
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have both Pre-flight and ClearView. Right now Im using just a gamepad as Im waiting ona dongel.

I realize that Walkera is not "the best", I was just a little surprised how easy those screws pulled out. Using a self tapper in there would make a lot of sense.

I have experience with FP and CP and this just seamed real doggy. Once I adjusted the servo throw things were much better.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmie View Post
Want something that feels more like on a rail, try a t-rex 450.
You think the 450 is stable just wait till you move up to 500 sized or bigger... You'll be very surprised.
heli--freak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in