Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default What comes with the HelIJive.

Hello all

Well I guess this is part question, part possible informative statement.

But I got my HeliJive 120HV the other day.

Ordered it from Hobby Hut and as well, got the heat sink and several Ferrite ring cords just to have.

So I opened the box (which was stick sealed with the official Kontronik labels) and much to my surprise, it already included a heat sink and two Ferrite ring cords.

The two cords were plugged into the master and slave plugs, and the heat sink was just loose and not installed.

And of course, there was no Epoxy.

But along with that, the one thing that was actually more of a surprise wasn't what it came with, but more what it was missing, which was the jumper so that you could perform the setup with it.

Don't know if this is how everyone else HeliJives or regular Jives come but I thought that was kinda lame.

I mean for $560.00 and with needing it to even do the basic setup, you'd think they would have stuck a few in there, or at least one.

Anyway, don't mean to rant too much as I guess I can make one out of a old servo wire, but still.

So other then that, of course it came with the instructions and as well as a warr reg card, and a small sticker.

So I just thought I would post all that as I myself would have liked to have known this stuff as I could have saved myself a few bucks on those extra parts as I certainly didn't need them.

As well could have known to ordered a few jumpers.

Of course if this is not how others find they get theirs, or other regular Jives, perhaps it would be good to post what you did get.

Hope that is of some help to others.
WBFAir is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi!

The jumper is in the JIVE on the motor side.

Epoxy: I thought, it is called "to build models"?

Btw: Do not glue a bigger heat sink (much bigger than the supplied one) to the embedded cooling plate of the JIVE. Better to use heat-conductive paste and to mount such a heat sink by other means to the body of the JIVE or the frame. We must avoid acting larger forces on the plate, in particular by high accelerations, as the plate is glued on the directFETs underneath.

But no problem to glue the supplied heat sink.

Tom
Old 08-22-2011, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yeah wasn't in there for mine, guess they missed one.

Hopefully for others, the missing jumper was just a fluke for me.

All in all, even had I gotten one, I think I would have still ordered the two pack set PN: G13194 as even if you do get one I could imagine they are easy to loose.

Also, got that tip on the heat sink. Yeah I had read about that you have to be a bit careful on the stresses on that plate.

I am mounting mine on the back deck of my 700 with the plate facing up, so I used so heavy duty Velcro between what I guess is considered the top (with the label) and the deck mount.

Hopefully this will help that I won't need too much extra to hold it down as I have seen some using Velcro straps all around and over the heat sink which I do intend to do unless there is no other way.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can glue the plate onto the ESC using regular CA. KT recomands that in the paper thats in the bag when you buy a separate cooling element.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Expecting a HeliJive to arrive any day.

I was thinking about using cooling paste on the cooling area and glue among the sides with CA.
Saw manual mentioned that with recommended mounting the sink probably newer will come loose...How about service to the Jive if the sink is on?
AAKEE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

My HF Map location

While I got the heatsink in a separate package as I mentioned....I never opened it to read the instructions.

As well it doesn't talk about CA'ing on the Jive instructions.

But all in all and this is just my opinion, but I don't think I would CA that thing on.

First is the holding capabilities of just CA.

As some may know, CA can be fickle stuff and some stuff it holds great, where as some stuff it doesn't and while I know there are tones of CA out there, I doubt any would hold as well as the Arctic Silver Epoxy.

Then if it ever does come off, you got one heck of a time cleaning off the old CA, to use the epoxy. And remember that is a sensitive area too to you can just beat on that spot with a scraper or wire wheel.

Then second of all and really more importantly, I really don't think CA is a very good conductor of heat at all.

It at least is no where near what the AS stuff is and I mean, isn't that the whole point to using the heatsink?

For the CA I would almost thing that is like putting a piece of paper between these parts and that it would do nothing but act as a resistance to the heat transfer.

I mean not totally, but it will do some.

Where as, the AS stuff is completely built to aid in the heat transfer and I bet if both were tested, you would see quite a difference between the two.

So I guess to each his own, but for me, I would want to keep my controller as cool as possible and thus would use the AS stuff over CA.

Also I would think that those heat transfer sticky pads would work really great too.

Anyway, just my 2
Old 08-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
I never opened it to read the instructions.
Yeah, i already noticed you dont read instructions

CA works fine. my 80HV gets warm after a flight on the logo, and so is the heatsink. it transfers just fine. remember its only a thin layer.
It holds as fine as my other jive, 1 of them has the heatsink attached using AS, and 1 of them using those heat transferring stickers. i like the ca the best. fast, clean, and it is alot stronger than the heat tape.

If you ever want the heatsink to come of. just place an exacto knife on 2 corners and push them in between the jive/heatsink. it will just ''break'' off. you can remove the CA leftovers with some acetone or CA remover.

Read the paper that comes with a heatsink. it says to use cyanoacrylate to fix the heatsink to the jive.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nko15 View Post
Yeah, i already noticed you don't read instructions
I read instructions plenty, but yeah, sometimes I do that quickly as despite how it may seem, I'm not a guy with a lot of time. But also and this isn't meant to start stuff, but these Kontronik ones translated to English...well.. leave something to be desired some time.

But if you will also note, I didn't read that as I didn't open the pckege as I had a sink coem in the box, so I wasn't going to open something I didn't need to as I might sell it or send it back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nko15 View Post
If you ever want the heatsink to come of. just place an exacto knife on 2 corners and push them in between the jive/heatsink. it will just ''break'' off. you can remove the CA leftovers with some acetone or CA remover.
But speaking of reading directs Nko, you might have noticed in them this statement:

4.5 Cooling/Fixing
Sufficient cooling increases efficiency and lifespan of the ESC. The HELI JIVE ESC improves performance with increased cooling. If the HELI JIVE ESC is fixed on the model leave the cooling plate uncovered (Heatsink, #9470). Other, heavier heatsinks may put mechanical pressure on the ESC and may damage the ESC.

And with that last part and including how it has been written in the forums many times you should know that the heat plate on these ESC's are a very sensitive area as some of its key parts are attached to that just beneath it and it has been said that it is not something that should be manhandled.

So quite frankly to tell others to pry or snap something off of that kind of a part of a $560.00 ESC, to which not only could that destroy it, but render its warranty invalid, is truthfully, a little inappropriate.

I mean if you want to reduce your units cooling capabilities by not using the thing that will do that the most, and or as well pry or force around a part on your ESC that could destroy it, then for you that's fine, but I don't think its right to recommend such risky actions to others and or even more so, to even too, insult ones for arguing against that either.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Prying an exacto knife between the corners of the plate/heatsink wont damage anything.. since your prying the 2 appart, and not pulling the heatsink off from the unit.
Generally, i glue them on with ca, and never pull them off.. where is the problem? the heatsink is like 4 dollars.. a new one is bought in seconds.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just about all the guys in the Logo and TDR Forum have been running Jives/Jazz for quite some time. Artic Silver Epoxy is made just for this application and holds very well.

If you want to use CA, go for it, It's your Jive.

Synergy N5C sitting in Box...
Mystic3D is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 02:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

But always keep in mind that the cooling plate is directly glued to the upper directFETs!

When applying brute force, it can tear off the covers of FETs. That would transform the JIVE into trash.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl7uae View Post
But always keep in mind that the cooling plate is directly glued to the upper directFETs!

When applying brute force, it can tear off the covers of FETs. That would transform the JIVE into trash.
That why I was thinking about gluing around the sides of the heat sink and use thermal paste in between the sink and Jive. Doesnt seem impossible that a crash could put high forces on the sink...
AAKEE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 03:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

In any case no problem with the little heat sink delivered by K, one may glue it to the plate.

Only with a bigger heat sink.... I would use thermal adhesive foam (pad, tape) and mount it by appropriate means to the body of the JIVE or the frame.

We have to avoid huge acceleration forces on the plate. That's it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in