Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How do I pick next heli?

Well long story short but I as most others started in the plane world. And u started with a high wing flat bottom airfoil trainer. Then Ur high wing fully symmetrical air foil then a low or mid wing, then u throw in a tail drager. But when it comes to helis, I don't know what I'm looking for to step up. I have the blade Sr now and, I know its a beginnerish model so what am I looking for in my.next model? Like a sport, because it frustrates me all the media around 3d,.. and I know that's way out for me lol

I'm planing on building a 450-600 size heli to have ready for the summer time. What are features I'm looking for as a beginner? Slower servos? Slower headspeed?

Because it almost seem to me like its the electronics and programing, are the key features between a 3d machine and a nice flying sport model?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
gearhead07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your next step will be a CP (collective pitch) heli. I think most would agree with my recommendation of a MCPx, Nano, or the new brushless MCPx BL. These are tough little heli's, and they can usually take a crash with 0 damage, especially if you're crashing on grass.

A 450 crash can easily cost around $50, and a 600 crash can easily set you back hundreds. Learn on something that isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg. Any of the small heli's I recommended are going to cost you less than about 4 crashes of a 450, and you will easily crash 4 times while learning to fly. A little starter/trainer heli, like the ones I recommended above, will basically pay for itself within a few crashes.

Also, get a sim and practice practice practice. You may be a great plane pilot and a great SR pilot, but CP is a completely different game.

As for your helicopter after the MCPx/Nano....don't gimp performance by getting slow servos, intentionally running a very low head speed, or anything like that. You can soften controls by using settings on your TX. Here's a little homework for you: research throttle curves, pitch curves, dual rates, and expo. These are the main settings you'll use to tune performance.

The difference between a 3d machine and a sport heli is mainly the settings mentioned above, along with head speed (which is partially controlled by your throttle curve).
Goblin 700 - RAWR!
txheli15 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: How do I pick next heli?

Alright cool, thanks. But I do have realflight and Mar,Marx,mcpx and I have the blades Sr, and it is cp?!? I thought? I'm just sick of the Sr having tail issues and kinda sick of the blade line... My dada has the blade 450 and I just love how the size makes it more stable

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
gearhead07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in