Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well I can tell you that information is false and not accurate.
I am here in Chicago with DJI HQ and the Ace One will be available Dec 1st.
We launched the officical release of the Ace One this weekend at iHobby.
I also have Ace Ones that I have been flying and testing.
We are still finializing the manual and a few adjustments to the User Inteface (UI) but that will be finished up shortly.
Price is set to $3500. $400 discount for Pre Orders before Dec 1st. Additional $200 if attending the iHobby Expo here in Chicago and attending our booth and filing out a survey.
I will pass your information you were given to DJI HQ today and we WILL clear up and misinformation you were given.

Thank You
USA Dist. for Vario (Industrial)
rerazor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I met with the people from DJI on Sunday at the IHobby expo, along with Robert from Bird's Eye Media to discuss the release of the Ace One autopilot and changes to the Waypoint system (call them enhancements! )

I have to say this is a VERY exciting development, the minimal size and weight of the system coupled with the capabilities and enhancements over the Standard DJI 3.1 are going to make life SO much easier for AP pilots.

I hope to have a system soon to fully test out the capabilities myself, and of course will be posting my findings and videos as I have done with the previous versions.

Personally, I think you guys are gonna LOVE this!!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

It was great meeting with you Chris. Yes, the "enhancements" will be nice. Swift wrote them down so.....

Note: BirdsEyeMedia is now DJIUSA.com

In pic from left to right. Jacob Marble (DJI Field rep), Chris Bergen, Swift (DJI engineer), Myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bergen.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	186884  
Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh, yes, expect sample in 2 weeks.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Please take no offense, but so far I don't see why there is so much hype about a waypoint autopilot for professional A/P applications.

The waypoint setup is cool, but for most of us I think it will be nearly useless. First of all in the USA fpv flying is illegal, so flying FPV in a commercial setting for A/P is out of the question for any established A/P business that wants to keep flying.

But even if it were legal, I see FPV style flying having very limited use. It will be useful in the same type of shot you can get from a full sized aircraft. That is big, far away from the subject, and high above the ground. However the biggest advantage of A/V from our R/C aircraft is we can get very close to the subject and low to the ground, but to do this you need very precises visual control over the aircraft. The bottom line is FPV flying is useless when flying very close to live subjects for good aerial video.

The return to home feature if signal is lost seems cool, but that feature in itself is not nearly enough to justify $3k. For that amount of money most people will buy top of the line radio gear to insure they don't have a signal loss to start with. And if the return to home feature tries to fly through a tree or wall on the way home then it doesn't help anyway!

Overall the website and info about the DJI leaves a lot of questions, especially for a $3k price tag I wish we didn't have to wait for testers to post the results to see what this can actually do. I understand it has the ability to stabilize a 3 axis camera mount but again there is very limited info about that. If this camera stabilization is better that the picLOC 2x or even just better than normal gyros it could be a major selling point, why don't we hear more about it? Also if there is a position hold mode that can be controlled, like a fly by wire with hands off position hold, then I could see that being really cool!

But so far most of the marketing hype I've seen about this product is geared towards the waypoint stuff, which is very cool for FPV but I think is completely useless to myself and many other A/V operators like me. I want to hear more marketing talk about camera stabilization and heli stabilization/fly by wire type controls. If it could make my A/P rig fly like a Blade MCX for example, now THAT would be cool. My helicommand is pretty close to that in horizontal mode, but if it could hold altitude and hold postilion hands off despite wind etc too, then the $3k price tag is looking more reasonable.
hogfarmer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree that the website may be a bit lacking in information, but let me try to describe the workings.

DJI has 3 systems, XP3.1 standard, XP 3.1 Waypoint, and Ace One.

XP 3.1 standard is a GPS HOLD system, IOW when the autopilot is turned on, the helicopter will STAY at that position, including altitude, until it runs out of gas or battery..This system is being replaced by the Ace One.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4g-2dSjAJw[/ame]

The XP3.1 Waypoint is the ONLY one with waypoint navigation enabled.

The Ace One is NOT waypoint navigation.

The XP3.1 Waypoint is $9500.

The Ace One is $3500, with a $400 discount if ordered by Dec 1st.

Quote:
My helicommand is pretty close to that in horizontal mode, but if it could hold altitude and hold postilion hands off despite wind etc, then the $3k price tag is looking more reasonable.
This is EXCTLY what the XP 3.1 Standard and now the Ace One does. The Ace One ALSO is FBL capable, gimbal stabilization enabled, lightweight, no longer needs separate power source, plus a host of other improvements from XP3.1 Standard.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hogfarmer,

Waypoint is not needed for the majority. Only a select few with special needs or wants purchase the Way Point system.

The new Ace One is what it sounds you are looking for. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Return to home function is standard on Ace One also.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Im very excited about receiving my Ace out of the 1st batch. Ive never used the XP so I have a few control questions about the Ace.

If Im am climbing straight up to altitude and flip the position hold switch, is the heli going to stop climbing and hold, or do I have to reduce my climb rate to a stop and then hit the switch?

Once locked in an altitude and position hold, can I still climb up and down or reposition using standard control movements? Once I let go to neutral, willthe heli attempt to reposition itself to the original position, or will it stay at the new altitude and position?

Matt
Old 10-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbergen View Post
I agree that the website may be a bit lacking in information, but let me try to describe the workings.

DJI has 3 systems, XP3.1 standard, XP 3.1 Waypoint, and Ace One.

XP 3.1 standard is a GPS HOLD system, IOW when the autopilot is turned on, the helicopter will STAY at that position, including altitude, until it runs out of gas or battery..This system is being replaced by the Ace One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4g-2dSjAJw

The XP3.1 Waypoint is the ONLY one with waypoint navigation enabled.

The Ace One is NOT waypoint navigation.

The XP3.1 Waypoint is $9500.

The Ace One is $3500, with a $400 discount if ordered by Dec 1st.

This is EXCTLY what the XP 3.1 Standard and now the Ace One does. The Ace One ALSO is FBL capable, gimbal stabilization enabled, lightweight, no longer needs separate power source, plus a host of other improvements from XP3.1 Standard.
Thank you very much Chris.

So just to clarify further, with the Ace One, the helicopter can be controlled while the autopilot is also active, similar to the Helicommand horizontal mode?

In other words, can I simply 'drive' the heli around sky, the autopilot making corrections to hold whatever control input is given. For example, despite horizontal and vertical wind gusts the heli will track strait and level forward if I give a forward input is given. And also the ability to then release the sticks and the heli will hold the exact hover position (including altitude and heading).

So can the Ace One can do all of this without flipping switches, just simple behind the scenes "fly-by-wire" stabilization? AND can my camera operator control a 3 axis camera mount with stabilization provided by Ace One on a separate controller?

If so, sign me up, I want one now!
hogfarmer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
In other words, can I simply 'drive' the heli around sky, the autopilot making corrections to hold whatever control input is given. For example, despite horizontal and vertical wind gusts the heli will track strait and level forward if I give a forward input is given. And also the ability to then release the sticks and the heli will hold the exact hover position (including altitude and heading).
EXACTLY!!

The procedure is, turn the autopilot ON, in this instance to AUTO mode. You can then move the heli around by moving the sticks. If you want to climb, push the collective stick straight up, the heli wil climb, in proportion to the amount that you move the stick. Move the stick a little the heli will climb slowly. Move the stick all the way up, the heli will climb QUICKLY.

The same applies to all the other axis.

When you release the stick, the heli will then stay in THAT spot that you left it.

There is no need to flip a switch to move the heli or to stop it's movement.

The above description applies to XP3.1 standard and Ace One models.

The question of the camera mount I cannot answer, not having used the gimbal stabilization personally. But it's a GOOD question!!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

One point: You do have to have the collective at mid stick before going into Auto mode. You have to find your hover point in manual mode first and adjust your pitch curve accordingly.

Also, for the split second before you flip to Auto mode make sure you are not touching the sticks or drifitng could occur.

I have only played around with the gimbal stabilization a little because I did not have a gimbal with roll axis.

I have a crappy iphone video of me testing it for the first time that I wil try to post. I would like to show a better one first and do some real testing. Don't worry with the gimbal stabilization being standard on the Ace One there will be many people posting about it now.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Are the instructions you are working on going to explain the details of operation such as what you said above?
Matt
Old 10-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

More or less setup is what I'm working first. Also, plan on doing a install video that will follow. Kinda like Finless videos but without Finless (sorry buddy).

I'm sure a flight video showing stick commands could also be made. Its just once you are in Auto mode its stupid easy.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

need help with the video Robert? It's what I do...
Steveact1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveact1 View Post
need help with the video Robert? It's what I do...
Hmmmm.......Now we are talking. Give me a week to get to the video portion but I think your skill set is very much welcomed.

Off topic: MSU #5 in nation Steve.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

go blue...it is blue isn't it?
Steveact1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Video from Steve's camera would be AWESOME!!

Oh, and it's blue and GOLD!! LOL...
Old 03-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default any reviews of the Ace one yet?

I am struggling to find a hands on review of the ace one. I have actually bought one and am waiting for it now but would like to hear more about hands on testing and this thread seems to have gone dormant.
thecadman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor View Post
7 channels.
Just like a normal CCPM heli but you need an extra channel for the "Manual, Attitude, AUTO" switch.
Does internal tail gyro sense lead require for tx adjustment? If the answer is no, this channel can be used for two position switch. Otherwise, a Y cord can do the 2-position job, if channel assignment can be made, no?
sidneyw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
Does internal tail gyro sense lead require for tx adjustment? If the answer is no, this channel can be used for two position switch. Otherwise, a Y cord can do the 2-position job, if channel assignment can be made, no?
Honestly, I have no idea. I'm thinking you might be able to set the gain on the tail then unplug the lead from the Rx to the Ace One Main Controller and it will remember that setting. I will have to try that on the bench next time.

I just go with a 10 or 12ch Rx. you can always use more channels etc..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in