Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Tail Pitch

How many degrees of tail pitch should i have on my P500 at full right or left?

Rough estimate id say i have 30 degrees of pitch at full left and 45 degrees at full right. set my end points in my Spartan to stop with no binding at the hub and the tail case. but this seems to be way to much pitch to me, but im also still a newbie and have no clue.
M&P_Hooligan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not familiar with a sparfan per say, but it shouldn't really matter. You tell the FBL controller what it has to work with (endpoints) so it knows not to go beyond those points, but dosent actually go all the way there just because you give full rudder, at least in flight. The FBL will only give what it needs, to do what your asking of the heli.
Certain helis (Trex 450 pro) do need mods to get more tail pitch, but I don't think the Protos is one of them.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P_Hooligan View Post
How many degrees of tail pitch should i have on my P500 at full right or left?

Rough estimate id say i have 30 degrees of pitch at full left and 45 degrees at full right. set my end points in my Spartan to stop with no binding at the hub and the tail case. but this seems to be way to much pitch to me, but im also still a newbie and have no clue.
While 30* of full left pitch is enough for sport flying and mild 3D, it's not enough for fast funnels, travelling piros, or fast piroflips or hairy situation where you bog HS down and try to save an out-of-control situation. Even if your flying style may not need that much pitch, I still recommend set it up properly just in case for the hairy situation. When set up properly, high max pitch setup doesn't adversely affect normal operation even if you don't need it. I have about 45 full right and not much less full left and I have absolutely no fear at
My Stretched Protos with Wild Scorpion 45C 3500mAh (5 min 4 sec)
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 04:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like your mechanical setup is off a little? I´ve also a Spartan on my Protos and with servo horn @90deg I have adjusted the tail conrol rod that I have 2-3 deg pitch countering the main rotor torque. You can also do a trim flight in rate mode and determine how long your tail pushrod should be exactly, but I found the above method accurate enough and I get nearly the same pitch left/right. Can´t help with a number as I never measured the exact pitch
Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
While 30* of full left pitch is enough for sport flying and mild 3D, it's not enough for fast funnels, travelling piros, or fast piroflips or hairy situation where you bog HS down and try to save an out-of-control situation. Even if your flying style may not need that much pitch, I still recommend set it up properly just in case for the hairy situation. When set up properly, high max pitch setup doesn't adversely affect normal operation even if you don't need it. I have about 45 full right and not much less full left and I have absolutely no fear at fast funnels even running 470 blades and 20T tail gear.
so it doesnt matter how much pitch i have at max throws then? just thought it might cause some issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dremel View Post
Sounds like your mechanical setup is off a little? I´ve also a Spartan on my Protos and with servo horn @90deg I have adjusted the tail conrol rod that I have 2-3 deg pitch countering the main rotor torque. You can also do a trim flight in rate mode and determine how long your tail pushrod should be exactly, but I found the above method accurate enough and I get nearly the same pitch left/right. Can´t help with a number as I never measured the exact pitch
i wanted to check it and couldnt figure out a good way so i hung it on the wall in the kitchen and started drawing! got a cool little design from it too, need a protractor to be 100% sure of what the angles and degrees are but ill be damned if i could find one in town at a store, or find any of the ones i have anywhere when i needed it.

also would it be beneficial to run the 18 tooth tail gear on an un stretched protos?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
also would it be beneficial to run the 18 tooth tail gear on an un stretched protos?
Only if you are running low head speed, like 2400 max.

I had my protos set up both ways, max slider travel and then with a couple mm left at each end of slider travel. I couldn't tell the difference in flight. But i'm not doing fast funnels either.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

i need to get a new pinnion it has a 13 on it right now i think which is a little slow it needs a 15 or 16, need to pick up one of the new motors too, it has the lipotech in it still with a couple broke cooling fins, so when i get the funds for the motor i will make sure i pick up a new pinion also to get the HS up a little more, i think mr mels said it was running like 2700,2488,2400 beg mid end, at 100% thro which seems a little low to me for a 500 since my buddy is running a 600 at a gov'd 2600
Old 03-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
i need to get a new pinnion it has a 13 on it right now i think which is a little slow it needs a 15 or 16, need to pick up one of the new motors too, it has the lipotech in it still with a couple broke cooling fins, so when i get the funds for the motor i will make sure i pick up a new pinion also to get the HS up a little more, i think mr mels said it was running like 2700,2488,2400 beg mid end, at 100% thro which seems a little low to me for a 500 since my buddy is running a 600 at a gov'd 2600
Yeah 13t is slow for non stretch. Stock scorpion and stock 15t pinion is like 3300, 3000, 2970 @ 100% which would be pretty extreme. But that allows you to gov up to 2800.

And wow 2600 on a 600??
Old 03-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
so it doesnt matter how much pitch i have at max throws then? just thought it might cause some issues.
If set up properly, FBL controller will command necessary pitch for the job regardless of how much excess you have.

Quote:
Even at my low HS setting 2300HS with 470 blades 20T tail gear is enough but yeah I think 2300HS is too slow for 430 blades perhaps unless you're just sport flying.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I´m running 14T non stretched and with lower TC I had the tail stepping out a few times, so I would imagine on 13T the 18t tail pulley would be necessary.

But as you want to try with 15T: I have an extra 15T gathering dust and if your 13T is in reasonable shape I´d send it to you in exchange. Dunno how much shipping is from your side, from here to the US it´s very reasonable for a small cushioned envelope. Just shoot me a pm if you´re interested.

Dr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in