Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hey there.

This is why I'm gonna fix those batteries. I fly every day with every model I own on the 14mz. I'm on vacation until the 28th, I ordered batteries that will add up to 3600 MAh, similar to those first discussed in this thread. No clue why the original guys dropped the work I guess they just bought new futaba batteries.
I'll take one of my bad batteries and use the pin hole contacts. The new batteries I think come with some charging electronics also. I'll post my findings hopefully next week. Thanks for the interest, talk to you guy soon!
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Really interested in how you get on, please post some photos etc.
Dwyn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic001 View Post

Is it possible to use the charge port or trainer port to supply the power? Or do i have to hack an old battery?
Hi mates,

Sorry to hijack this and I know its been a long thread but I checked it and did not find the reply on this.

Is it possible to power the 14mz via charging port? I know its always suggested to power down tx when charging.

Thanks.
jffry7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I have the new battery

I have the new 1800 li-on batteries just need to solder them up. Probably tonight or tomorrow I'll see if i have a cheap alternative solution for more power.
I completely forgot about the charge plug, I'll test that too this evening with an external battery.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Awesome looking forward to your photo and result. Just in case I tried to cut in half a cheap knock-off and remove the batt and board. But the charge plug would be a great way to plug in external batts. Either way your mod looks promising to extend flying time
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

We need pics please..

http://nitro-magic.blogspot.com
TmMugen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hello, can you post us some pics on this DIY? Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoot View Post
Did it. Done. Works great.

Took apart an old Sony battery and wired into the base pins. Threw away the cells, circuit board and top half of the shell. Re-installed just the lower half into the radio.

Battery meter seems spot on.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Requested pics...

For some reason I didn't get a pic of the wires inside but all I did was solder the leads to the connector pins inside the gutted battery case and drilled an access hole in the battery case for the wires to come out.

I made NO mods to the radio whatsoever.

Last edited by hoot; 09-06-2012 at 07:39 PM..
hoot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Sire for the pics..!! Superstar..!! Time for me to "operate" the F570.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nice

I soldered up the 1800 mah cells last night. Spent a good few hours making sure all the connections and balance plug were good. Taped the wires down, shrunk wrapped unit, go to the charger with the little beauty thinking now I can show you guys a nice internal solution and the charger starts beeping! Ahhhhhhh dead cell. Piece of junk all that and a dead cell. I'm off to complain to the seller.

Nice external solution though, more than enough options and power when you mount the cells on the back.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to hear 'bout your tx cells. Was looking forward to your results specially charging port.

This is how I currently have my tx batts.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ordering new batteries!

Not gonna give up, ordering new ones.

Where did you get that rig for the back of the transmitter? It's perfect for hidding the battery if you run external.

Also the charge port plug of course is smaller than a regular servo or balance port plug so I'm looking for a small adaptor that fits. I'm guessing that Futaba made this plug custom and very small for its charger so we wouldn't get the idea of playing with it. Eitherway still plugging away, the cells I orders fit perfect inside and if there 1800 MAh times 2 (3600) then should be more than the 2200 stock we have.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHeli View Post

Also the charge port plug of course is smaller than a regular servo or balance port plug so I'm looking for a small adaptor that fits. I'm guessing that Futaba made this plug custom and very small for its charger so we wouldn't get the idea of playing with it.
Yea it looks like Futaba did a few things on this radio to maintain exclusivity. Not sure why they would do that for power source and charging. I guess they were concerned about "hotdog" charging... less likely if the plug is unusual.

Now with my battery on the outside, the charging plug is right there and standard.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Where did you get that rig for the back of the transmitter? It's perfect for hidding the battery if you run external.
Its a Secraft TX tray, the batts are stuck with velcro to the tray and sits well between tx module and Battery door of 14mz
Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Also the charge port plug of course is smaller than a regular servo or balance port plug so I'm looking for a small adaptor that fits. I'm guessing that Futaba made this plug custom and very small for its charger so we wouldn't get the idea of playing with it. Eitherway still plugging away, the cells I orders fit perfect inside and if there 1800 MAh times 2 (3600) then should be more than the 2200 stock we have.
I'm not sure I understand the math here. Two 1800ma 3.7 volt lipo cells in series will have capacity of 1800ma. Does each cell have a voltage greater than 3.7? e.g. 7.4
dumpcentral is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default correction

Yes sorry each cell is 3400 when coupled in series. I forgot they are both 3400 and voltage is doubled not MAh. So it ends up to be a 2 cell 7.4V battery.
Dimentions of the bay looks like it will hold 70mm by 20mm max. These cells are 65mm by 18mm. I don't plan on using the electronics from a regular battery seems it is used for charging of the cells, maybe balancing.
2mm female plugs, slide onto the internal pegs quite well, so all we need is to shrink wrap the batteries do the soldering and charge them up. New batteries should be here next week. I'm so frusterated at how long it takes to order!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ordered two of the Duracell DR5 batteries and they are working very well in my 12Z. I can get at least two hours of ON time. They are rated at 2100 Mah and I cycled them on my PL8 and came out at 1900 Mah.
I also got one of these camcorder chargers for $5 off of Amazon. The charger can be powered directly off either 12V or 120VAC. There are two thumb grips where you can slide off the part the holds the battery and has the banana plugs. Remove the four little screws and you can solder in your own connector to fast charge the battery as a 2S Li-Ion (unbalanced) on your field charger.
If I'm planning an all-day flying session, I keep one in the charger, and one in the Tx.
FireNWater is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think you will find anything under 2000 mah doesn't hold up long enough. Remember, you don't get to use all of it before the low capacity beep kicks in.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoot View Post
I think you will find anything under 2000 mah doesn't hold up long enough. Remember, you don't get to use all of it before the low capacity beep kicks in.
Yes, that's why I keep one in the charger and one in the Tx and swap out thru the day. Its a "kludge" solution until I can get the 2600 Mah Li-Ions installed in the old Sanyo cases and see how they work.
I don't think Futaba is going to help us in this area, so it'll be a project over the winter hibernation season.
FireNWater is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jffry7 View Post
Its a Secraft TX tray, the batts are stuck with velcro to the tray and sits well between tx module and Battery door of 14mz
Which lipo did you use in that picture? I found that most Rx batteries (>2000mah) are too wide to put in between tx module and battery door.
chenlixyz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in