Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 05:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default trex 800 dfc pro tail wag

hey guys fresh out the box my trex havin tail wag problems all the tail assembly is free no binding so i adjusted the gyro sens it was set at 70% so i adjusted it down and it just made it worse i found i get the best results at 80% but its still not rite any ideas?
uncle fester is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you give some more info please?
Is it stock setup -3gx, Tx etc etc??
Bonkievan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

yes stock setup 3gx v4 radio is walkera devo 12s i have a lil vid i try load it up
Old 07-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

[ame]http://youtu.be/OYTjzEP4UHA[/ame]
Old 07-04-2014, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am unfamiliar with your Tx, fester. It certainly looks like too high gain but as you say it gets worse lowering, a bit of a strange one.

When changing gain percentage in your tx, can you lower it to a point where the Status light on the 3gx goes from green to red, indicating Rate mode.?

Just want to ensure you have the right channel assignment and are actually sending gain to the 3gx. Getting the status light to change will prove this.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok i tryed that the light changes to red at 56.5%.ive moved the tail servo ball to the outside because i dont really know what align were thinking when u mont it like they say it hits the servo. im starting to think this is vibration related? thanks
Old 07-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your tail is free from all binding, what are your ESC settings?
Have you tried running a flat line curve on fixed endpoints and removing the governor front he equation?
chabs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just friendly advice, throw 3gx to trash can and put decent flybarless system.
I put in mine 800Pro Brain unit and it flew perfectly from bench. Adjusted just tail gain couple percent.
Your issue is known for me, I faced same problem on my 500 when I put 3gx in it. V4.0 software has this tail wag issue.
This is what you can do:
1. Update to V5.0 software.
2. Adjust tail control rod lenght, that in RATE mode tail will hold in hover, not spin in one or other direction.
3. Adjust tail gain in PC software.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabs View Post
If your tail is free from all binding, what are your ESC settings?
Have you tried running a flat line curve on fixed endpoints and removing the governor front he equation?
no binding its as free as can be i pulled the whole tail apart lubed everything its like butter.the esc settings are stock will give that a try.yes i agree im getting abit sick of this 3gx already my walkera helis fly far better with no problems .i was originally going to buy the kit without the 3gx and put naza H in it. now i gess im paying the price
Old 07-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 800 Tail Wag

I too have recently had the same tail wag occurring.
I have a Trex800 Pro, with ikon fbl, head speed 1700/1850/1950.

Today I tried adjusting the tail gains, but no change occurred.
This was after checking all bolts where tight.
Unfortunately I did not go over the heli to every extreme, because what happened next during flight was not a good end to my day.
While hovering, as I was checking out he tail wag, the entire tail assembly came of the boom.
Fortunately the heli was level, and I was able to make a pretty good landing considering.
The aluminium KDE vertical stabilizer had cracked in half, and had obviously tried to spin in the boom with the gouged slot instead of a hole that was now present.

I am still trying to get to the cause, but initial suspicions are the torque tube bearings shifting position.
I have managed about 20 flights before the tail wag started.

If anyone has had this tail wag, please advise the found problems & solutions if possible.

Cheers
Chopsy
ChopsyWA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 02:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopsyWA View Post
I too have recently had the same tail wag occurring.
I have a Trex800 Pro, with ikon fbl, head speed 1700/1850/1950.

Today I tried adjusting the tail gains, but no change occurred.
This was after checking all bolts where tight.
Unfortunately I did not go over the heli to every extreme, because what happened next during flight was not a good end to my day.
While hovering, as I was checking out he tail wag, the entire tail assembly came of the boom.
Fortunately the heli was level, and I was able to make a pretty good landing considering.
The aluminium KDE vertical stabilizer had cracked in half, and had obviously tried to spin in the boom with the gouged slot instead of a hole that was now present.

I am still trying to get to the cause, but initial suspicions are the torque tube bearings shifting position.
I have managed about 20 flights before the tail wag started.

If anyone has had this tail wag, please advise the found problems & solutions if possible.

Cheers
Chopsy
i often hover mine and watch it wag so annoying i tryed everything except going into the 3gx i have nearly got it to stop by putting the ball on the servo closest to the centre and setting the gyro gain to 100%.im going to get my friend to go into 3gx when he has time and if that dont work ima chuck it
Old 08-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi try to lower the gain. even if you have to go down to 0.and if it still wag at 0. then yes the 3gx is defective.
Tx /DX8, Blade 180 CFX, TREX 550X ,AR7200BX and upgrade new align 100amp esc and align 820m HV servo , 800E PRO w/ Newly style rotor head mini-Vbar, upgrade new align 130amp esc and HV align HV 820m servo.
whan1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 01:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok i give that a try 2mro if weather holds out.ive got the wag nearly under control with gyro gain at 90% and the gyro travel at 150% but its still not rite. if i lower the gyro gain the wag gets slow and big ive only taken it as low as 50% if i have the gain at 100% the wag pretty much gone but when its flying along at speed it wags ive seen guys update firmware to v5 and it fixes it. if i update to v5 will i have to setup heli all over again? cheers 3gx
Old 08-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Listen very carefully to the next two things I'm about to say to you. a) That bird is NOT CHEAP to crash. b) 3GX is NOT GREAT

- I speak from experience, 3gx we all know the stories and the cures. But you're heli is NOT CHEAP so why take a chance with a pain in the ass tail. If you do a basic setup on a spektrum beastx or a vbar or a skookum with your eyes closed it will fly
just fine with no wags no nothing and tune to your liking. I never had that level of success with 3gx, they always feel very tense.

I recently had a hard landing from a poor auto on my 800 Pro because I inverted and maxed out negative pitch in normal mode esc cut power. Rookie !! I broke 6 parts plus main tail blades, the cost of repair is 770 dollars. (ironic the cost of repair is the same number as my goblin) So don't take a chance PLEASE. The frames for your heli are not strong and they are expensive, check parts pricing.
jsbach#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exactly.. dump the 3gx and get another FBL controller...

Plain and simple
JasonA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok whats the best eazy to setup fbl controller to get? i cant understand why align would sell there flagship helicopter with a junk heap of a 3gx cheers
Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

They are all easy once you know how

Skookum has one of the best setup wizards, imo. The Ar7200x doesn't require a computer but is fairly basic in feature set compared to some others.

Also, how much you are willing to spend on a fbl? As you've quite a lot of money in the air, best not to skimp on a budget fbl imo.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

First thing I did when I built all my Align birds was to dump (or have it removed from the kit) the 3GX, I love the Align heli's but hate the 3GX.

All my small heli's are running the AR7200BX, as mentioned they are easy to setup as you don't need a PC but IMO you can't beat the Vbar but they can be a bit complex at first but once you get used to them they are easy to setup.

One thing about the vbar is that once you have your heli mechanically setup most of the time the stock settings will be fine, oh and the customer support at VStabi is second to none, they even made me some custom firmware a while back which has now been added to the latest update for all to use.

I now have the Vbar Contol so will be converting all my heli's to vbar.
Velos 880 Neo, Logo 800 XX Vbar, T-Rex 800 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 Trekker Vbar, T-Rex 700 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 F3C Vbar, T-Rex 550E DFC Vbar, T-Rex 500 Pro DFC AR7200BX, T-Rex 450 Sport V2 AR7200BX, T-Rex 250 Pro AR7200BX, VController, DX9.
JohnTC02 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 04:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

dont really wanna spend more than 300 but all depends
Old 08-21-2014, 04:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle fester View Post
dont really wanna spend more than 300 but all depends
Well, in that price bracket you have a lot of choice and if setup properly, all will perform very well. Vbar, ikon, Skookum 540, AR7200, CGY750 etc etc.

Another FBL that has just come to market and has been getting very good reviews, which you could get landed in NZ for just over $325nzd , is the Spirit. It has bailout, Self level and vibe analysis which you normally have to pay twice the price for in other equivalent FBLs. Definitely worth taking a look at that, IMO.

I don't push my FBLs, and as such, find all three I run very good for each application. If you fly smack a bailout would most likey be no use to you but if not and like extra features at an affordable price, like aforementioned bailout, the Spirit would be the one I'd opt for. As soon as they come back in stock (next week apparently) I will probably get one myself.

What do most of the lads at your field fly? Pity you're not near chch as I'd be happy to give you a spin of my 800 with the BD3sx (hc3sx).

Last edited by Bonkievan; 08-21-2014 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: More info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in