Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Assault 700 build thread

Just received my Assault 700 in the mail last night. Everything was packaged very nicely for protection. I closely inspected everything upon unwrapping it and found zero flaws. I did a quick assembly just to check fitment of everything. It all went together very smoothly without issues. The bearings are super smooth. Edges of the frame have been smoothed and I cannot find any sharp or rough edges. The only thing different I notice about the carbon fiber is that it is not as shiny as other pieces I've had. Every metal piece on it looks great and again has zero sharp edges. he main and auto gear are actually perfectly round with zero runout. I have owned HK helis before and the quality of this kit is far beyond anything I've seen from them before. Now am going to strip it down to nothing and rebuild it applying proper grease and loctite where needed. I will keep updating the thread as I get electronics and get it in the air asap.
ChadCarlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Old 12-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure on all of the equipment yet but here's what I have so far:

Motor - Turnigy HeliDrive SK3 Competition Series - 4962-530kv

ESC - YEP 120HV

Lipos - 2x Revolectrix 5000mah 60 diamond label

FBL controller - yet to be determined based upon how this 3gx I just got works on my 600

Servos - to be determined, not gonna go cheap though

Main blades - 3D Pro

Tail blades - stock plastic blades

Also planning to only change out the TT to Align and leave the rest so I can really see the quality. Was planning to change the gears too but once I saw the quality, I am pretty comfortable with stock.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you get thrust bearings for the tail? I read the new Assault batches providing them now...

*Note: All current stock of Assault 700 DFC helicopters now include thrust bearings in the tail blade grips. A free set of thrust bearings will be sent to all customers who purchased an Assault 700 from the first release batch.

I'm waiting for the first hard smack video with this heli...so far all i've seen was lazy 3d. Good luck with the build!
AMA #1039539
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes it has thrust bearings in the tail. I bought from the second batch. I am no hard smack pilot so I won't be able to put it through that test.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is seriously a sweet looking heli.
I will probably get one myself soon.

Subscribed
McKrackin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

stuff the haters mate good on ya .

ive said it before and ill say it once more , this kit should be pretty dam ok..

ok being the key word here , i would feel just as safe around a hk assault as i would a trex 700 pro dfc so long as all shafts , gears , nut ,bolts & screws where replaced aswell as the owb and it had at least ds510 or better servos & the builder had owned a 700 sized machine for awhile and knew it well.

with all that done who's to say it wouldn't hold up ? Sure it might bend more in a crash but if built right i really dont think its going to fly bad or crash by its self!

tldr: i dont think anyone should bash this heli just yet,maybe the tools who see how cheap they can build one for the sake of being the cheapest. i say lets give this bird a chance spread its wings and show its true colors.
Raptor 50 Flybar - os50 sx-h
rotceh_dnih is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do think I might replace the bolts just because I've had a problem stripping heads on every brand heli I've had. I use high quality drivers but I prefer not to run into any issues with it. I do have ds610's on my 600 that I could transfer over but I would prefer to go a little over kill on the cyclics just because of the extra power and size. Technically I could get it in the air with only buying a motor and esc otherwise I have everything else. I want to do it right though and make sure the electronics can handle it.

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I appreciate the support, the mission statement of HF is showing through.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotceh_dnih View Post
ok being the key word here , i would feel just as safe around a hk assault as i would a trex 700 pro dfc so long as all shafts , gears , nut ,bolts & screws where replaced aswell as the owb and it had at least ds510 or better servos & the builder had owned a 700 sized machine for awhile and knew it well.
OWB from HK600GT is much stronger and better than oryginal Align OWB from brand new 600EFL PRO.

I know because I stripped two Oryginal German Align OWBs in my stretched 600 with 700mm blades using 600 PRO main gear assembly. Since I put Hobby King OWB no issues anymore.
utrinque is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx024 View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind words! I appreciate the support, the mission statement of HF is showing through.
I am with you. I have also ordered Assault. Lets see what it is worth. Thank you for sharing good news.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrinque View Post
OWB from HK600GT is much stronger and better than oryginal Align OWB from brand new 600EFL PRO.

I know because I stripped two Oryginal German Align OWBs in my stretched 600 with 700mm blades using 600 PRO main gear assembly. Since I put Hobby King OWB no issues anymore.
Looks like some misinformation here..... the Align 550/600 OWB have been updated two years ago with an additional radial bearing in the assembly, this make for a better centering and reduced play of the assembly on the main shaft, additionnally that Align OWB only work with the 700 M1.0 straight/slant main gear where the HK OWB only work with the old weak 170T M0.6 gear, and of course doe's not have the added radial in it.

With what todays motor used in 600 heli, I guaranty you that the 170T M0.6 is not going to last more than 30 second on my 600.

The only failure I know of the 550/600 OWB is to constantly locking-up when pushed hard. Another failure I've seen at our field was the bearing slipping in the hub and damaged the hub, but there is some kind of a motor in that 600.

The assault 700 have only a needle bearing type for OWB where the align have a sprag type OWB, the align is a much stronger design and still you can see here and there some people having problem with it, so unless you run a weak motor in the assault (700mx, or 4035 series) that part will need to be uppgraded, and that part alone for me would cost 100$, which mean the assault 700 is not worth the money only for that part alone.

I'm not against clone heli, but you really need to know what you want to do with the bird before to make a mistake, clone are not for beginner, but not for pro as well.
martin_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ View Post
, so unless you run a weak motor in the assault (700mx, or 4035 series) that part will need to be uppgraded, and that part alone for me would cost 100$, which mean the assault 700 is not worth the money only for that part alone.
$100 makes it not worth it?

That only brings the price to $300...That still leaves another $400 to reach the price of an average 700.

Let's not wreck this thread with irrelevant info guys.
There is not one report of a failed part on this heli yet....No one can "guarantee" that anything is going to fail.

I run a 700MX motor myself and if it's considered a weak motor that won't break the stock parts...well then I highly recommend using that motor.
They are in the classifieds CHEAP and pack a helluva punch in my opinion and way more than enough motor for someone not doing hard smack 3D and actually plenty of motor for a pro that knows how to actually fly hard 3D and not just jam the sticks in every direction.

I also suggest an OS 1100HV ESC for this set up.
It's cheap too at $180.
I use it myself with the 700MX motor and the two stay completely cool to the touch for over 7 minute flights doing mild 3D.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I might also suggest all Savox servos and a BeastX FBL unit to keep it economical without sacrificing performance...Stuff that I also use myself.

I have a Savox 2227HV tail servo and BeastX FBL.

I have used Savox cyclic servos on 700 nitros and they did a fantastic job.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Looks like some misinformation here..... the Align 550/600 OWB have been updated two years ago with an additional radial bearing in the assembly, this make for a better centering and reduced play of the assembly on the main shaft, additionnally that Align OWB only work with the 700 M1.0 straight/slant main gear where the HK OWB only work with the old weak 170T M0.6 gear, and of course doe's not have the added radial in it.
I was talking about two brand new OWBs included in H60200 Align part for 600 PRO EFL I use Mod 1.0 main gear from 700 for all my 600-700 helis.

It fits T-Rex 700 main gear and 10mm 600 PRO main shaft and HK600GT OWB

This one (HN7002) is for T-Rex 700 12mm main shaft:

This one is for Assault:

Quote:
With what todays motor used in 600 heli, I guaranty you that the 170T M0.6 is not going to last more than 30 second on my 600.
I use SK3 T700 560kV and 480kV >4kW motors.

Quote:
The only failure I know of the 550/600 OWB is to constantly locking-up when pushed hard. Another failure I've seen at our field was the bearing slipping in the hub and damaged the hub, but there is some kind of a motor in that 600.
My Align OWBs stripped totally.

Quote:
The assault 700 have only a needle bearing type for OWB where the align have a sprag type OWB, the align is a much stronger design and still you can see here and there some people having problem with it, so unless you run a weak motor in the assault (700mx, or 4035 series) that part will need to be uppgraded, and that part alone for me would cost 100$, which mean the assault 700 is not worth the money only for that part alone.
There are reports confirming that T-Rex 700 main gear fits Assault perfectly. So in worst case scenario I can put it in Assault.

Last edited by utrinque; 12-03-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Old 12-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is the quality of the head assembly on that thing? Not a bad looking bird for sure
SMOKEMASTER60 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEMASTER60 View Post
What is the quality of the head assembly on that thing? Not a bad looking bird for sure
Check inbox on YouTube.
What's In The Box Video for the HobbyKing Assault 700 Helicopter (18 min 12 sec)

Last edited by utrinque; 12-04-2013 at 04:17 PM..
Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got my rotor blades today. Picked up a set of Pro 3D blades from HK. I have been flying them on my 600 with good luck. Only problem is they are 12mm and my grips are 14mm. I know some of the bigger name brand blades come with teflon spacers to solve this. However, I cannot find them listed alone anywhere. Can anyone point me towards a place to purchase?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Pm me. I have a pile of those.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...mm-Main-Blades

These work?
AMA #1039539
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been using Savox on my 600...which ones are you using on the 700 for cyclics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKrackin View Post
I might also suggest all Savox servos and a BeastX FBL unit to keep it economical without sacrificing performance...Stuff that I also use myself.

I have a Savox 2227HV tail servo and BeastX FBL.

I have used Savox cyclic servos on 700 nitros and they did a fantastic job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in