Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System

Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System Thunder Tiger GT5 Flybarless Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GT 5.1 Boots with screen scrambled

Hey any of you folks seen this before? My GT 5.1 boots with screen scrambled occasionally. Everything still functions fine when this happens and it flies fine I could not if I wanted to enter programming mode when this occurs. Sometimes it boots and works fine with a blank screen ( black).

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 12-05-2013 at 08:20 PM..
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

That happens to mine too sometimes. I think it usually only happens if the heli is not kept really still when it is starting up. I try to have the heli on a dead flat surface and dont touch the heli until it has booted up fully

Henry
linelaps is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I can live with it long as it keeps working. I feel like its something loose somewhere inside the gyro the way it works intermittently.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Try opening up with the 4 screws on the bottom and checking and the internals to see if anything is loose.

Take the blades (main and tail) off and spool up to full throttle and put a coin on the gyro and check the vibration. Vibration could have cause it to do this in the fist place.

If this is the case and the coin moves around, tighten up the screws and maybe add some more gyro mounting pad or a different brand. If you have enough of it, you could do some tests because you want the gyro mounted on the heli so there is no/little vibration, but still senses everything properly.

Henry
Old 12-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey HenryNZ, I might give that a try. I've flown it 4 times today and it booted with a perfect screen every time. Its been misty, foggy, gloomy and cloudy all day. I guess if it was 20 degrees it would be snowing.

Im using this on an EXI 450 with Hitec HS 65 Analogue servos, Futaba 9257 on rudder and its worked really well. I have a slipping belt issue I have to get sorted out now. The tail is not holding in wind in hard maneuvers. I have to be really careful with it. I believe the belt is slipping on the front pulley because if I hold the front drive gears still and rotate the tail rotor. The belt will slip there and I can't get the belt any tighter.

I'm gonna try a new kevlar belt that I've not tried before. Hopefully it will bite into that pulley a little better.
Its 3/4's down the page.
http://techmodelproducts.com/trex_450_parts.php
Old 12-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep the Kevlar belt should help some, I think they are really stiff though - do you have a full metal tail? Also i could have just been some dust that got in there - who knows...
Also your autorotation gear (top one/tail one) could also be worn out. Sometimes with a lot of use the teeth wear down slightly which would cause the belt to slip.

Henry
Old 12-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fixed it today. It rained all morning so I broke it down and put the new belt on as well as a new front drive gear. The pulley on the old gear was worn down almost to 5mm diameter on the gear teeth. The teeth were sort of rounded off too. The new one measured 6mm diameter. The old one had around 1690 flights on it.

The new belt is a 400 tooth belt and moves the boom back about 3mm's farther than the stock 397 tooth belt. Now I just have to get the slop out of the tail. The slider bushing is worn out. I have that ordered as well.

Last edited by Bladecpnitro; 12-15-2013 at 04:05 AM..
Bladecpnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh cool, rounded teeth doesnt really help. Good luck for the next flight
Old 12-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

No rounded teeth don't bite too well. Its working great though, I got some flights in the other day in 26 mile per hour gusts and the tail held everywhere, hard puchouts, fast backwards hurricanes. I did see the tail twitch a bit travelling sideways forward flips. I think that is my worn out slider bushing trying to lock up on the shaft so soon as I get that replaced I shouldn't need anything.

I may try the GT 5.2 if it ever comes available or I might try a VBar or Beastx on it just to compare. I'm a fan of the GT 5 gyros and not needing a PC to make field adjustments. If you get out flying and something needs tweaked just a little so you can enjoy the rest of your flying its so nice just to be able to make the adjustment and take off again.

I've heard something now about a GT 5.1V2 but still have not seen it anywhere for sale.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in