Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default Align ESC mod page

OK First order of business is to get my link to the Align ESC mod page back up.

Here it is:

Align ESC MOD Web page

Enjoy,
Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks a bunch Bob
Old 05-13-2006, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That is very good information to know...Im thinking of getting a TRex and that will help alot if I do.

My HF Map location
BigVanVader is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Bob I just got my kit in from BlakeMcBrayer going to fix it tonight
skew is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Bob,

After getting my post that listed a link to your ESC mod and info on how to get my "Thermal Epoxy and Heat Shrink Kit" deleted from RR, I have made this my new home. I figure I had better get some info up on the kit.

My "Thermal Epoxy and Heat Shrink Kit" consist of the same thermal epoxy from MG Chemicals that Bob uses in his mod. The smallest bottles of epoxy that can be purchased run any where from $35 to $45 dollars for 450ml.

I wanted to make the epoxy available in a small kit that would be enough epoxy to do 2 or 3 ESC's and be affordable! The kit runs $7.50 including heat shrink and shipping in the CON US.

The "Thermal Epoxy and Heat Shrink Kit" also has one piece of BLUE or BLACK heat shrink. One extra piece of heat shrink can be added to the kit for $1.00

If you have any questions or want to place an order for the kit then contact me via PM and I will give you my email, PalPal address or mailing address. I accept PayPal with no extra charges, money orders and even personal checks.

THANKS to all!
Old 05-20-2006, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The heatsink on the Align RCE-BL25G seems the same. Should I perform the same on this ESC?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker
The heatsink on the Align RCE-BL25G seems the same. Should I perform the same on this ESC?

Thanks
Yes you can....

Bob
Old 05-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My question is....WHY DID THEY PUT THE HEATSINK ON THE SHRINKTUBING IN THE FIRST PLACE?
MUPPETHUNTER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUPPETHUNTER
My question is....WHY DID THEY PUT THE HEATSINK ON THE SHRINKTUBING IN THE FIRST PLACE?
There was a large debate over this topic on another site. But the general conclusion was that Align felt that heat build up inside the ESC's heat shrink wouldn't be great enough to offset the GREATLY reduced production cost of not doing it right in the first place.

IMHO, cost cutting that they thought they could get by with.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was glad to save a few bucks by buying one of BlakeMcBrayer's 35G ESC mod kits. Got one question:

What kind of heat gun does one have to use to shrink this heatshrink? I don't want to use a lighter because of the staining. I tried a hair dryer -- no effect. I tried holding a 100w solder iron close -- no effect. What do you use to shrink this stuff??
Old 05-22-2006, 09:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The best type of heat gun to use on the heat shrink I put in the kit is one of the "hardware store" type heat gun. They are commonly used to remove paint and get VERY hot.

I can see where a hair dryer would not generate nearly enough heat to shrink it.

Also, you may be able to stop by a local sign shop and shrink it with their heat gun. Most all vinyl sign shops use these style heat guns to help peel old sign vinyl.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, Blake.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Use a heat gun from a plane flying buddy. We use them to shrink monokote covering... I thought everyone had one of those
Old 05-22-2006, 11:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried a friend's Hanger9 wing covering iron (400°) and it barely made a dent in this shrink wrap, so I schlepped on over to Home Depot and picked up a Milwaukee model 1220 heat gun (750°/1000°, $26).

Not only do I now have enough heat to shrink Jabba The Hut down to the size of a garden slug, but a couple quick zaps and the coffee will stay toasty warm in the morning too.

This unit puts out so much heat that the shrink wrap shrunk the ESC down to about half size as well.

(chortle, snort)
Old 05-23-2006, 01:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Gimbalfan... Thats too funny!

Bob
Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by finless
Gimbalfan... Thats too funny!

Bob
Yea, I got a good giggle of his statments too!!
Old 05-24-2006, 05:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeMcBrayer
Hey Bob,

After getting my post that listed a link to your ESC mod and info on how to get my "Thermal Epoxy and Heat Shrink Kit" deleted from RR, I have made this my new home. I figure I had better get some info up on the kit.

My "Thermal Epoxy and Heat Shrink Kit" consist of the same thermal epoxy from MG Chemicals that Bob uses in his mod. The smallest bottles of epoxy that can be purchased run any where from $35 to $45 dollars for 450ml.

I wanted to make the epoxy available in a small kit that would be enough epoxy to do 2 or 3 ESC's and be affordable! The kit runs $7.50 including heat shrink and shipping in the CON US.

The "Thermal Epoxy and Heat Shrink Kit" also has one piece of BLUE or BLACK heat shrink. Two extra pieces of heat shrink can be added to the kit for $1.00

If you have any questions or want to place an order for the kit then contact me via PM and I will give you my email, PalPal address or mailing address. I accept PayPal with no extra charges, money orders and even personal checks.

THANKS to all!
insert shameless plug
Blake's a straight up guy, and his 'parting out' small portions to make the mod cost effective is a great idea.
This is the type of home industry that will promote the hobby, and we are glad to see someone do it!
Rock on Blake!
/shameless plug
WayneBrown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2006, 09:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the gesture is greatly appreciated. it's nice to see a few more people contributing to the community

but, you can get arctic silver thermal expoxy for under $10 here. i've used that particular SKU for over a dozen computer processors and just did the sink mod to the ESC and still have plenty left.

[edit] fixed link
Old 05-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to let everyone know, I'm leaving in the morning for the Chattanooga Fly-In. All epoxy orders placed between Friday and Monday will be mailed on Tuesday May 30th.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2006, 01:35 AM   #20 (permalink)

Bob I have a question. I have a T-Rex I am setting up right now. The esc when I plug it into the battery makes a continues beeping sound no matter if I have the transmitter throttel up or down and then after about 45 seconds if you move the aleron or elevator stick and the throttel stick the motor runs wide open and you have to unplug the esc to stop it. Do you think I have a bad esc or am I not doing something right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Joe
jda3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in