Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilslim79 View Post
Now only if I had a soldering iron. Guess ill bring it to the local hobby shop where I bought it.
Soldering irons aren't expensive items...and I can guarantee you'll be needing one time and again in this hobby. Might as well just buy one now. Running down to the hobby shop every time a wire breaks will get old real quick.
Heli-cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Heck ya, pick up a soldering pencil as they are quite cheap, used mine for many years and easy to use. Just get some good quality electrical solder, very small in diameter and do pickup a small container of flux. Yes I know they now say you don't need it with the more modern solder materials but......it still makes the solder job much easier especially when you get that one joint that just does not want to solder easily.
As far as the 120 sr being outdated.....so what... still fun....and costs very little to fly.
Look at the folks that have to have the latest technology....cell phones...and the billions it has made for the cell phone company....my old cheap cell phone works great and with all the money I have saved from not getting the "newest" and latest pays for my hobbies. I can still talk on the phone as well as anybody!!
airshot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amen.

+111111111
lilslim79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Actually I don't consider 120SR out dated.
Most of my helicopters are fly bar, although I do enjoy flying flybarless I prefer my old Flybar helicopters.
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
Actually I don't consider 120SR out dated.
Most of my helicopters are fly bar, although I do enjoy flying flybarless I prefer my old Flybar helicopters.
Well, it came out in 2010, so I consider that outdated. It needs to moded to fly better and only flys well with a computer radio. I still have mine, but I fly quads.

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Outdated.....who the f%#$ cares?

I have two of these, one of which still flies. I have had so much fun with the little bugger flying at lunch breaks, or whenever I can fit in a few minutes of flight time.
I have run countless batteries through them and essentially wore the damn things out.

No - it doesn't fly "correctly". The weird pendumum motion is a trait you can fly around with practise.

Besides, my kid LOVES it when I kill the throttle 60 feet in the air and let it drop out of the sky, catching it with throttle just in time.
Wildcat RC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love how this thread has just exploded and created so much back and forth chatter.

I flew it outside today for the first time in 0-5 mph winds and it was fun, lost that itty bitty bearing on the back of the tail motor in the grass. I couldn't believe I scanned the grass with a magnet and I picked it up! what are the chances of that. Anyways I think that thing is useless I've flown 10 batteries through it without even noticing that it was gone and it worked just fine.

I'm practicing nose in flight and doing circles and figure eights right now. It's tough when the helicopter gets away from you and starts flying fast and out of control...hard to get it back in control, luckly the grass is soft. So when I get in real trouble for sure I try to get it close to the ground and kill the power to the blades.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
Well, it came out in 2010, so I consider that outdated. It needs to moded to fly better and only flys well with a computer radio. I still have mine, but I fly quads.
Hmmmmm...flying quads....isn't that the same as flying a coaxial heli, sort of sounds like you are going back to your roots. Yes I made some minor mods to improve the response of my 120sr but use a blade radio and it flies great. Had mine for two years and still learning something every time I fly. Best part is it has not cost me a fortune to keep in the air. Only wish I would have is to fly better in light wind.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilslim79 View Post
Well had my first problem so far with the 120. Was about 15 feet up and the helicopter went into a violent tailspin to the ground. The tail motor stopped working. I believe it was a wire in the tail motor that came disconnected. Have to buy a new motor I guess for like 8 bucks.
the same thing happened to my nano. common issue with any heli really:
mattheli2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The DC-3 Dacota is more than 70 years old lady and is still flying great as long as is well maintained. All Machines need care and maintenance, if you provide one they are going to last fore ever.
Glaucon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 04:26 AM   #31 (permalink)

Hardcore 3D pilots say the 120sr is rubbish cause is outdated and have a flybar that keeps it on rails.

For newcomers that flybar is essential to keep the bird on air by it's own. So they love it!

Try that on a 3D capable heli with a newcomer? Not going to happen.. it's all hell over the place!

I love my 120SR cause it hoovers and stays there for it's own and it's not the toy look of coaxials.

Some people love helis only to hoover them... like 1:1

RC 3D heli driving as a more dificult level of aprendice then driving 1:1 helis, for sure. It's a thing that not everyone even if they like that can acomplish!

targetingxmod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

The statement that a newcomer needs a flybar is false, it's the way you tune the Fbl controller. A flybarless heli is way more stable, but it can be tuned to have fast or slow cyclic for movement. Where as a Flybarred heli can tend to feel a little laggy to a 3d pilot. There's no doubt that the 120Sr is great inside. Either way there's no point arguing about what's better, when all that matters is what's good for the individual. Also for what it's worth I bought the 500 3d over the X because of the flybar nostalgic feel it gives me every time I fly it.
terryv83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryv83 View Post
Either way there's no point arguing about what's better, when all that matters is what's good for the individual.
Agreed. I love the 120 for a little relaxed flying around once in a while. When I wanna go nuts I pull out the Nano CPX. That keeps me on my toes!
Old 07-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flying last night in calm winds was pure bliss. I only put 2 battery packs through it but it was the best time I had with that thing hands down. I was actually able to FLY it and not just hover around or try to fly in close spaces (indoors). I tried taking it out this morning in 5-8 mph winds, totally different experience. It just..sucks.

For some reason the hole in which the tail prop goes on to the tail motor loosed up. Probably from coming on and off so much. The prop wouldn't spin as fast as the motor was and kept coming off during flight very easily causing me to crash. I just put a tiny dap of super glue in the hole stuck it on the tail motor, works perfect now.

Going to fly it again this evening as winds are supposed to go calm.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Next time you may want to try some hotmelt glue or some silicone sealant as the prop will be easier to replace than with the super glue.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The 120sr is old and uses old technology. The AS3x and SAFE technology is amazing. Should have gotten the 200SRX.
^^^THIS^^^
Old 07-13-2014, 05:09 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not when you're on a budget, that bloody 200srx is stupidly expensive for what you get.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

DiggyStyle if your here to just condescend and not post anything helpful then you can just leave this thread. I enjoy what I have, maybe ill get the 200 sr x soon but for now i'm having fun and isn't that all that matters?
Old 07-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryv83 View Post
Not when you're on a budget, that bloody 200srx is stupidly expensive for what you get.
It is only expensive if you crash, I have not spent more than 25 bucks in the last year on my 120sr, it is the cheapest hobby I have. I have taken my time and learned to fly it and not rushed into doing things I am not skilled enough to do. I see most people getting in over their heads by trying to do things before they are ready and that costs money. The 120 sr is probably one of the cheapest heli's on the market when it comes to repair/replacement parts. It is the pilot not the heli that controls maintenance costs.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by airshot View Post
It is only expensive if you crash, I have not spent more than 25 bucks in the last year on my 120sr, it is the cheapest hobby I have. I have taken my time and learned to fly it and not rushed into doing things I am not skilled enough to do. I see most people getting in over their heads by trying to do things before they are ready and that costs money. The 120 sr is probably one of the cheapest heli's on the market when it comes to repair/replacement parts. It is the pilot not the heli that controls maintenance costs.
Yeah that's pretty much what I was saying in my post. I was just stating that the 200srx isn't worth the money over the 120sr, once you consider crash costs, and the issues people are having with them falling from the sky. The 200srx seems to have larger helicopter comparable repair bills also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in