Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 500 with 450 electronics?

Is this possible? Excluding the motors and esc. I was considering buying a 500 and using the ds410m servo that come in the 450 pro kit on a 500
Jamison816 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

I might be wrong but i think the 500 size servo's are bigger.
noobbeltcpv2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Micro servos in 450, mini servos in 500, different size. That and I doubt the micros would have enough torque to hold a 500 up, would likely strip gears if not metal and if metal, may not have enough jam. That and they won't mount in the bigger holes made for the mini servos.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yea it seems u can use bigger servos on smaller birds but not vise versa.
Jamison816 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For tails for sure, and if you mod it right, for cyclic but pretty hard to get a smaller servo to work in holes too big for it, and wouldn't get good performance out of smaller ones. Sorry bro I know it's easier to use stuff you have sometimes but don't think you wanna risk a bigger nicer bird on smaller servos either.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, it will not work, and everyone will laugh at you!

Align Trex 500 Scorpion 3226-1400 powered missile
Wildcards is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcards View Post
No, it will not work, and everyone will laugh at you!
Yup, right reply seriously, what everyone else says (I own both birds, and only tail servo is the same), the 410's have no hope of controlling that much bigger swash and blades.
flynot2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default no chance?

here is a stretched 450 swinging 500mm blades...little servos handled it just fine, never got to push it any further cause the main gear shredded on the 3rd test...and thats 75mm longer than a 500's blades...I fly 385's and 420's all the time at 2500+ HS with no ill effects....and she takes off like a bottle rocket...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7izzFtf3D4&list=UU3PVBClvr-95JEc-QW90uXA&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]
helihaven is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Maybe but a 500 weighs a fair bit more.
JR 11X, Phoenix+RF7 sim.
zap357 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

A 500 weighs a WHOLE LOT more...lmao was just rebutting the statement that the smaller servos didnt have a HOPE of controlling such big blades...ones used in the video were hitec hs65-mg's and the blades were 75mm LONGER than a stock 500's...so clearly they DO have a hope...cant say what they would do under extreme duress, never got that far...and the amp draw to swing the blades was outrageous...was just done to see IF it could be done...
Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

450 = 3s light battery and lighter frame
500 = 6s twice as heavy battery and a lot heavier frame
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, I disagree! It is not the wieght of the heli that the servos are pushing. But the blade thrust. I agree the smaller servos arent the greatest idea. But like Helihaven I am pushing 420mm blades with my stretched 6s 450 and doing it at 3000rpm. My MksDs95s have no problem with this. None. And like Helihaven I would run 500s but simply don't want to stretch it any farther due to the cost of the new head gear needed for the increased grip size at the moment. Maybe later.
P.S. Should be quite interesting to see his new 12s 450 version pushing those 500mm blades.

It is not so much the size of the servo, but the quality of the servo.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
Sorry, I disagree! It is not the wieght of the heli that the servos are pushing. But the blade thrust. I agree the smaller servos arent the greatest idea. But like Helihaven I am pushing 420mm blades with my stretched 6s 450 and doing it at 3000rpm. My MksDs95s have no problem with this. None. And like Helihaven I would run 500s but simply don't want to stretch it any farther due to the cost of the new head gear needed for the increased grip size at the moment. Maybe later.
P.S. Should be quite interesting to see his new 12s 450 version pushing those 500mm blades.

It is not so much the size of the servo, but the quality of the servo.
What do u think the weight of the helicopter does to the amount of blade thrust? when lifting the helicopter the more weight it carries the harder it is on the servo. also the amount of travel required to operate a 500 is much greater then a 450. which would mean longer servo arms thus creating more stress on the servo. no doubt it works on your 450...cause its a 450 with standard arms. theres a reason why certain helicopters use certain size servo's. moral of the story why risk killing a 500 helicopter because your too cheap to buy correct equipment.
ddj74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj74 View Post
What do u think the weight of the helicopter does to the amount of blade thrust? when lifting the helicopter the more weight it carries the harder it is on the servo. also the amount of travel required to operate a 500 is much greater then a 450. which would mean longer servo arms thus creating more stress on the servo. no doubt it works on your 450...cause its a 450 with standard arms. theres a reason why certain helicopters use certain size servo's. moral of the story why risk killing a 500 helicopter because your too cheap to buy correct equipment.
^ I like this guy

Align Trex 500 Scorpion 3226-1400 powered missile
Wildcards is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

servo arm length is a valid point, i agree...my whole point was that a previous poster said a 450 class servo didnt have a HOPE of moving such big blades..and I for one never said it was a great idea...however..that being said..im pretty sure the MKS ds95's would do just fine on a 500...but then you have the fact they weigh knocking on 30 grams? and a set cost 225 or so? then you have the added weight of some kind of adapters to mount em..i have to admit..the thread has got me to thinking on it..with some custom cut side frames and a set of ds95's...i'd have alot more room to do what i WANT to do with my 450.....
Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still going with the earlier sentiment, "No, and people will laugh at you!", or something along those lines.
flynot2000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wait guys, OP never said he wanted to fly this thing

"I have some gocart wheels, can I mount them on my 18 wheeler?"
"sure you can, though they will never reach the ground"
I am a Heli-Coholic! Citizen #207
PRÔTOS Max v2 PRÔTOS 380 Speed Goblin 380 Blade 180CFX
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Tomy. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy. View Post
Wait guys, OP never said he wanted to fly this thing

"I have some gocart wheels, can I mount them on my 18 wheeler?"
"sure you can, though they will never reach the ground"
ROFL!!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj74 View Post
Again, blade thrust. Trust me when I say my blades produce as much or more thrust at 3000rpm as the slower speeds of a porky 500 blade set the way I fly. I am not condoning it. Just saying it can be done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in