Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Ufly

Ufly Walkera Ufly Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Fly bar weights question

Hi guys
Has anyone tried flying without the fly bar weights? If so how did it work out.

Thanks
Steve

Edit: Hmmm. found this, very interesting.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=194724

Edit #2:

Well I took the leap and removed the weights, replaced the fly-bar with some carbon rod from a hobby shop (the grubs on the weights chewed up the original rod) and wow what a difference!
It is dialed in, snap-to responsive! Hovers hands free with very slight left drift probably from the tail rotor efficiency.

I am VERY pleased thanks to timewerx!

Steve

Last edited by ERRATIC; 03-12-2011 at 08:45 AM..
ERRATIC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bird, are you still running with the flybar weights off? When you replaced the flybar, did you keep it the same length as stock? Has your flight times been increased due to the lower weight? (keep in mind, I'm still using stock 800mah batteries and get about 7min).
tkerins is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

i removed mine and also found it made the heli more responsive and stable...but now i run the flybar less and its almost the same only a bit more precise and responsive....
magicmarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yes I removed the weights, also added the bell-hiller mixer and it is really awesome!

Steve
Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm gonna try removing the weights but not with the stock flybar. I have a steel flybar and 450 paddles on the way and I will swap those in without the weights and try it.

Its odd that people say to replace the flybar with one from a 450 because it bends easy but I wasn't aware that cf could bend. I thought it only breaks. Steel on the other hand does bend. Whats up with that?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Stick with the CF bar, you will add weight using steel defeating the reason for removing the weights . The problem I found was the grub screws on the weights chewed into the CF bar weakening it, if you find that (which you will) replace the bar with a fresh CF one.
I bought some 2mm CF rod at a hobby shop for cheaper than getting stock replacement rod.
Are these the paddles your getting? If so cool!

http://www.xheli.com/t-450-flybar-pa...trex-450-.html

Steve
Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

you could just switch the flybar with one of the tail boom support struts as they are the same length ...i agree the steel bar will deaden the response to the affect of like adding extra weights to the head....plus its more rotating mass which will affect your run time and spool up speed...
magicmarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERRATIC BIRD View Post
Stick with the CF bar, you will add weight using steel defeating the reason for removing the weights . The problem I found was the grub screws on the weights chewed into the CF bar weakening it, if you find that (which you will) replace the bar with a fresh CF one.
I bought some 2mm CF rod at a hobby shop for cheaper than getting stock replacement rod.
Are these the paddles your getting? If so cool!

http://www.xheli.com/t-450-flybar-pa...trex-450-.html

Steve
I did take the weights off yesterday and noticed the gouges in the CF like you said. In running I didn't notice a big difference in handling but it was breezy out and it seemed like the heli got blown around easier without the weights. I'm surprised its flying as good as it is. I have had several boom strikes recently and my boom is bent like 2-3 degrees. I am certain I would have had binding issues(or worse) at this point had I still been running the stock cf drive shaft.
This is the paddles I ordered. Nothing special, they were cheap and I knew the would fit the flybar which was also for the same model the Cootch Helios 450s;
http://www.clubheli.com/Helios-450S-...27_p_3095.html
Old 04-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I just received the Helios flybar & paddles and installed them on the UFLYs to see the difference. I definitely is cyclic response is definately toned down but more stable for hovering anyway. Its a bit breezy today so I did not run the whole battery to get battery run time. The wind is gusting to probably over 15mph. It was getting lifted up in the air a bit from time to time but no severe tipping from the gusts. I think it was more stable in this wind than it would have been with the stock flybar & paddles. I probably will switch back to the stock setup.
Just FYI, here are the weights I measured;

10.4 grams stock cf flybar with weights
9.5 grams stock cf flybar without weights
18.4 grams Helios 450s steel flybar & paddles

So you see there is a bid difference in weight with this 450 flybar setup.

Anyone interested in a 450 flybar & paddles set. Brand new only used 5 minutes?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in