Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Airplane Related

Airplane Related R/C Airplanes Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First Floatplane

Hello all,
I have been flying a hobbyzone duet alongside my helis and quads and would like to get another plane. I have an interesting situation because my flying field is big enough for my duet, but the duet looks like the max size for the field. But, I have a large body of water behind my house that could serve as a field for a float/sea plane. I am considering the Hobbyzone super cub with floats, the flyzone beaver, a-flite apprentice and flyzone tidewater. Do any of you think I would be able to go for a 4 channel floatplane that I would have to maiden on the water or do a 3 channel because I can already fly the duet?

Thanks in advance
My (currently abandoned) blog: umFlight.com
John234 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have an Apprentice with floats, and it is a blast. Good plane to have at the lake, because other people can fly it too in the beginner mode, and you have the Safe bailout option if things get a little hairy. If you have the room, you should look at the Carbon Z--it is much bigger, and way more powerful. The only issue with the Apprentice is that you outgrow it pretty quick if you want to try some 3D moves.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

@Malibu LXI I was thinking that the beginner mode on the apprentice s would help with the first take off and landing so I could get a feel for it.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I maidened mine from the water, with pretty good results. The safe mode on the Appentice S does help but only after a little work on the steering system because without it the plane has problems with keeping the centering of both the planes rudder and the floats rudder in sinc, the floats system and the plane both have there problems they both need a little help, Without some Mods it can be very hazardous taking off and landing, But It's a fairly easy fix though I'll try to take pics and post them. Look on You tube for a vid, I think the post was ( gaining tail authority on a Appentice) I did mine a little different from the post but it still works a much, better than stock
Old 04-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, gajomac.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the others?
I love the way the eflite carbon cub ss looks, but I think it would be a too small...
Old 04-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You do need a plane that has a rudder in the water. If not, it is very difficult to steer on the water. A slight crosswind breeze makes it pretty tough to navigate because plane keeps turning into the wind and is liable to get blown over with no rudder authority.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I highly recommend the Hobbyzone Super Cub.
Very easy to repair.
It's not a windy weather float flyer, but it will teach you how to use rudder.
I have a few different float flyers.Icon A5, Alpha 40 (nitro),and this HZ Super Cub,
and it's still one of my favorite. It'll take a tremendous beating and bounce right back-parts are cheap. AND the airplane is cheap to buy. It's relaxing to fly.
Learn to walk before you try to run.
EPBDDSB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPBDDSB View Post
I highly recommend the Hobbyzone Super Cub.
Very easy to repair.
It's not a windy weather float flyer, but it will teach you how to use rudder.
I have a few different float flyers.Icon A5, Alpha 40 (nitro),and this HZ Super Cub,
and it's still one of my favorite. It'll take a tremendous beating and bounce right back-parts are cheap. AND the airplane is cheap to buy. It's relaxing to fly.
Learn to walk before you try to run.
Thanks, EPBDDSB.
I'm leaning towards the suber cub- it seams like it's a good size and it is just like a duet, but bigger and has floats (and I have to get something with the 15 % off coupon) I'm thinking the regular one, maybe it will be on blowout with the SAFE version coming out.
Any opinions on the tidewater?

Last edited by John234; 04-13-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Old 04-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im looking to get a superclub LP also.... I currently fly a MCPX BL heli, how hard would it for me to fly??? This will be my first RC plane.
jaxxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default flyzone beaver

Consider the Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver. It flies wonderful, quick off water, nice lander and decent water rudder system. Started with Apprentice on floats now have Carbon-Z Cub also for a float plane. Beaver also is a great price.
hoverfun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the flyzone beaver, it's decent for the price, fly's nice, lights are cool, rudder system needs mods IMO, I took it off, it steers with the planes runner good enough for me. Works great in the snow, & it comes with wheels also.
rcnorth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverfun View Post
Consider the Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver. It flies wonderful, quick off water, nice lander and decent water rudder system. Started with Apprentice on floats now have Carbon-Z Cub also for a float plane. Beaver also is a great price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnorth View Post
I have the flyzone beaver, it's decent for the price, fly's nice, lights are cool, rudder system needs mods IMO, I took it off, it steers with the planes runner good enough for me. Works great in the snow, & it comes with wheels also.
Well, I got the super cub. If I like it, I am planning to get the Beaver. I am just making sure that I want the super cub before I open the box...
Old 06-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to revive my thread, but I am thinking about getting a um icon a5 first to build confidence and learn water landings before the super cub on floats. This is extremely important- one dip in the brackish water behind my house and the electronics would probably be shot.

The question is: would it be too hard to take 2 steps (4 channel and floatplane) at once or would I be fine starting with the um icon a5.

Thanks,
John
This thread is... it's alive!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in