Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Try email again then.

Ian
Trooper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Making "some" progress

First off, "binding" does not travel with making a copy in the radio (thank you nightflyr)

Got all the servos working in the right direction, the problem I'm having now is in the diagnose tab in the pc program.

All the bars move in the right direction except "aileron" the bar moves in the opposite direction of stick input

If I move the aileron stick left, the bar moves right?

Which make me think HC will try to correct in the wrong direction?

Don't know how to fix this?

Thank you

Mel
Old 02-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator53 View Post
First off, "binding" does not travel with making a copy in the radio (thank you nightflyr)

Got all the servos working in the right direction, the problem I'm having now is in the diagnose tab in the pc program.

All the bars move in the right direction except "aileron" the bar moves in the opposite direction of stick input

If I move the aileron stick left, the bar moves right?

Which make me think HC will try to correct in the wrong direction?

Don't know how to fix this?

Thank you

Mel
It's been a long while since I had the need to tinker with my HC, but if I remember correctly that sounds as if you selected the wrong swash movement direction from setup.. If I remember there are several to choose from and some appear to function correctly at the setup stage...

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 04:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here are the settings on the Mixer tab. You should be able to see what you have selected in the software.
Hope this helps.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mixertab.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	138841  
Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Aileron is the only function that cant be reversed but you can reverve each servo to correct it, so thats where you have to start. Forget the sticks for now they are the last thing to correct. Try this go to mixer page, looking at heli from rear nose at 12 o'clock, tip heli to the left. Left hand servo should go up right hand servo down, if they do not change there direction. Now tip the heli forward, the and the rear servo should go down and front servos up.
Below the servo reverse is elevator reverse which will reverse all sevos to change elevator direction. So with a combination of servo reverse and elevator reverse you should be able to get the swash to auto correct when tipping the heli..
Now go to RC & trim and correct any incorrect stick movements.
It has been a long time since I played with helicommand but if memory serves me right this should solve your problem. Remember every thing can be changed exept aileron so get this right by changing servo directions and then change everything else to suit that. Hope this helps. Ivor
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry I have been away so long....in the process of buying a different house

Got the tail figured out.

All my servos are going the correct way...but at 50% throttle input my swash is at -1 degree. at full throttle pitch is 8 and at full negative its -10 . I need to move the whole swash up a degree or two at 50% input.

How??

When I did this set up I didnt remove sub trim from my servos. Dont you still need to start with servo arms at 90 degrees with 50% throttle (pitch) just like a regular set up?
splitboarder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitboarder View Post
Sorry I have been away so long....in the process of buying a different house

Got the tail figured out.

All my servos are going the correct way...but at 50% throttle input my swash is at -1 degree. at full throttle pitch is 8 and at full negative its -10 . I need to move the whole swash up a degree or two at 50% input.

How??

When I did this set up I didnt remove sub trim from my servos. Dont you still need to start with servo arms at 90 degrees with 50% throttle (pitch) just like a regular set up?
Hi under mixer you will see collective pitch offset this will move the swash up or down to set 0 degrees at 50% throttle and travel will set min-max pitch.
Helicommand say that all trims should be neutral so thats what I do this does mean that you cant get all the servo arms at 90 so I just get them as close as I can. Ivor
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

How??
You could use Coll Pitch offset on the mixer tab or adjust your servos back to centre at 50% stick.

Quote:
You should remove trim before you start calibrating, however if its only a small amount then you can leave it in. The Tx neutrals will be set with this.

Ian
Old 02-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default DX7 Switch assignment question for Helicommand?

Thanks to all the help from Trooper, nightflr, Ivor Hill & spiltboarder, I finally got the software & stick movements to all agree.

The swashplate is trying to correct as I tilt the heli this way and that

Started over and reconnected all wires as Ian spelled it out in post # 4 then corrected in the software, then the sticks last.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=185942

Then "read" the HC unit into the software.

Now comes the switch assignment question on the DX7 radio?

In the Input Select window, I set Aux2 - F.Mod. and Gear – Gyro

When I flip the 3 position switch between Normal, St 1 & St 2, it changes the Pilot channel in the software for "position" & "horizonal" as it should.

Seems like I should have the HC off in N, postion in St 1 & horizontal in St 2 though?

But when I flip the Aux 2 channel, the bar graph in the software doesn't move?

Not enough throttle to enable Aux 2?

For convenience sake, I think I would like to be able to hit the push button bail out switch like nighflr installed https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=187110 to set trim after 8 seconds of hover and also use the button swicht for the "bail out-save me" switch?

I'm using the internal gryo on HC Rigid with AR7000 rec'r

Am I on the right path other than getting the switch assignment figure out (still a newbie on getting into the radio)

After this I'm sure I'll have questions about the gryo.

Thanks guys

Mel
Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Unfortunately using a three position switch always put HC off in the centre position.
Quote:
But when I flip the Aux 2 channel, the bar graph in the software doesn't move?
Is this how you have it set up?
'Using the Gear channel with the grey wire in the gear channel on the receiver allows the changing of gyro modes, it also allows the use of auto trim on the same channel.

To use this function we need to alter the sub trim of the gear channel in flight.

Set the Gear switch in the reverse menu from normal to reverse.
Alter travel adjust for Gear to +100% and -60%
With these settings the gear switch will alter the mode of the gyro.
Switch position 0 = rate mode.
Switch position 1 = heading hold mode.

Now we need to trigger the auto trim in flight and reset it quickly in flight.
To do this we need to alter the Sub trim of the Gear channel from 0 to a figure more than -24%.
To make life easier select the sub trim menu before take off and have it on display.

Once you are flying and require auto trim, just use the decrease adjust button and hold it in for about 4 to 5 seconds, this will trigger the auto trim facility.

You can use your left thumb to adjust once you are at a stable altitude, as you are in heading hold mode and need the right thumb to keep the hover steady.

Hold a steady hover for about 8 seconds then press the clear button to reset back to normal mode.'

Ian
Old 02-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
'Using the Gear channel with the grey wire in the gear channel on the receiver allows the changing of gyro modes, it also allows the use of auto trim on the same channel.

To do this we need to alter the Sub trim of the Gear channel from 0 to a figure more than -24%.
To make life easier select the sub trim menu before take off and have it on display. Ian
Yes Ian,

I have the grey wire plugged into the gear channel on the receiver

Now to be sure, when you say "set the gear switch in the reverse menu from normal to reverse" etc.

This is the radio itself, not the software?

BTW, how do you guys copy and post a screenshot of the HC software?

Mel
Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Now to be sure, when you say "set the gear switch in the reverse menu from normal to reverse" etc.

This is the radio itself, not the software?
Yes, in the radio.

I do a CTRL + PRTSC which captures the screen. You can then paste it into Paint, select the portion you want and save it as a JPEG image. Then use manage attachments and follow instructions. You can post it directly into your reply but I haven't managed to get that to work for me.

Ian
Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Unfortunately using a three position switch always put HC off in the centre position.

To use this function we need to alter the sub trim of the gear channel in flight.

To make life easier select the sub trim menu before take off and have it on display.

Once you are flying and require auto trim, just use the decrease adjust button and hold it in for about 4 to 5 seconds, this will trigger the auto trim facility.

You can use your left thumb to adjust once you are at a stable altitude, as you are in heading hold mode and need the right thumb to keep the hover steady.

Hold a steady hover for about 8 seconds then press the clear button to reset back to normal mode.'

Ian
Ian,

After this setup process is done and I'm flying and get in trouble

To get the HC to do it's thing, do I just center the cyclics or do I have to flip the gear channel to position 1 (or both)

Thanks Ian

Mel
Old 02-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just centre your Aileron and Elevator (right stick, mode 2), you still have to manage your throttle.

Ian
Old 02-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
You could use Coll Pitch offset on the mixer tab or adjust your servos back to centre at 50% stick.

You should remove trim before you start calibrating, however if its only a small amount then you can leave it in. The Tx neutrals will be set with this.

Ian
Guys

This is from question #28 that switchboarder asked.

When I use Collective pitch offset to 90 the servo arms and have 0 degrees at 50% on the radio, I end up with more than 10 degrees (tops out and binds) pitch at the top and about 0 with the stick down and can't find a happy medium between the two with pitch travel adjust.

This 450 flew like a bigger bird, maybe even a 50 size before HC (sorry Dicey of inside Heli)

My Col. pitch is # 26

My center to ball link on the servos is 3.40 mm with 10mm under the swash plate at 50 % throttle.

That's how it was before and built from the bottom of the head up so everything was according to finless setup.

I've been chasing this all over the place and can't figure out what I'm missing

Mel
Old 02-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If your getting excessive pitch at the high end, go into your swash mix and lower the value, that should reduce the high throw...

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
If your getting excessive pitch at the high end, go into your swash mix and lower the value, that should reduce the high throw...

Thanks night

I guess I had it in my mind that everything should be zeroed out in the radio, I guess that is for initial setup?

One more question while I have you on the phone and I'm getting close to "The
Maiden"

Normal St 1 & St 2 are all set to normal pitch and throttle curves as instructed by ya'll

If I spool up slowly from a stick down position, won't that be -10 degrees since at 50% stick I'm at 0 degrees?

Did I skip that class somewhere along the way?

Edit: I'm not seeing the swash mix menu since I'm set to one servo?

Mel
Old 02-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator53 View Post
Guys

This is from question #28 that switchboarder asked.

When I use Collective pitch offset to 90 the servo arms and have 0 degrees at 50% on the radio, I end up with more than 10 degrees (tops out and binds) pitch at the top and about 0 with the stick down and can't find a happy medium between the two with pitch travel adjust.

This 450 flew like a bigger bird, maybe even a 50 size before HC (sorry Dicey of inside Heli)

My Col. pitch is # 26

My center to ball link on the servos is 3.40 mm with 10mm under the swash plate at 50 % throttle.

That's how it was before and built from the bottom of the head up so everything was according to finless setup.

I've been chasing this all over the place and can't figure out what I'm missing

Mel
You need to adjust the Coll Pitch Offset with a linear pitch curve 0, 25, 50, 75,100. It will only work if you are a small amount off from being at 90 degrees at 50%, you then have to adjust the coll pitch travel to get a reasonable pitch range. The coll pitch travel set at about 80 will give you +/-10 degrees.
If you can't get this then your only option is to adjust the height of the swashplate using the links.

Ian

Once you are set up you can change your pitch curve so that you have something like -2 to +10 degrees.

Last edited by Trooper; 02-20-2010 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Extra information
Old 02-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
You need to adjust the Coll Pitch Offset with a linear pitch curve 0, 25, 50, 75,100. It will only work if you are a small amount off from being at 90 degrees at 50%, you then have to adjust the coll pitch travel to get a reasonable pitch range. The coll pitch travel set at about 80 will give you +/-10 degrees.
If you can't get this then your only option is to adjust the height of the swashplate using the links.

Ian

Once you are set up you can change your pitch curve so that you have something like -2 to +10 degrees.
Ian

What time is it in the UK?

Don't you guys ever sleep

Ok, I'm going to try your suggestions and "if" I have to change the links, I'll measure them first as it really flew more like a 90 size and I'll move the HC unit over to something else once I get the learning curve done of the 450 so I can change it back to the 90 size

Now, once I'm setup, I change the pitch curve to -2 to +10 in the radio?

Mel
Old 02-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its late and I'm going to bed now!
Forgot to say put the coll pitch offset back to zero (mid position), throttle to 50%, remove servo arms and re-attach at 90 degrees, then adjust links so that you get enough pitch movement. You can then use coll pitch travel to set the amount you require.
The offset should only really be used if you can't get an even amount of pitch up and down.
Yes, you set the your pitch curve in the radio, You can set them all the same, Normal, Idle1, Idle2, or set linear ones for Idle1 etc.

Ian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in