Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters > 500 Aftermarket Upgrades

500 Aftermarket Upgrades Align T-REX 500 Aftermarket Upgrades by HF Vendors and Supporters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyther View Post
Support is what HeliFreak is all about. Could you make one cheaper? Probably. Personally, I like the mounts and ReadyHeli is out. When they are back in stock, you can bet it will be in my cart. It really bugs me when people start posting that they can make something offered by a member cheaper, etc. Time and effort go into fabrication on any hand made part. The price to me is reasonable for the quality and the fact that I don't have to make it myself. Don't like don't buy it.

Ken
I'm with you, Ken. There's a lot of things I make for myself because I want to. There's also things, like Rick's mount, that I'm more than willing to pay him for his time to make one for me. Having built a lot of things for myself and others, I'm willing to bet he's not making that great of an hourly wage for his work, much less paying for equipment. It's more of a "labor of love" for the sport.

Jim
Jim T is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 02:36 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
Its a valid question and it comes down to where you want to spend your time. I make mounts that are sure to fit and I back them up 100%. I charge not so much for the Lexan, but for my time spent making them, answering email and shipping them out. For this particular one I have to buy hardware too.

I'm fine with anyone making their own. Many people have made their own version of most of my mounts. By the time you have one made, you may decide you would have been better off buying mine or you may be happy with your own. The main thing is that you get your heli flying and you are having fun.

As far as the fins go, they are many times stronger than the stock version and a bit longer to better protect the tail blades. Newbies that bounce on their fins get tired of the CF ones busting so they buy mine. The colors are pretty bright too. I really don't push them much because I have to put so much time into making them. They are more hobby than anything else. I kind of groan when I get an order for them but I like seeing people fly with my parts.

I've sold many mounts over the last two years so it must make sense to a lot of people. The cool part is that in all the parts I have sold, not a single person has ever stiffed me. Heli people are definately a cut above the norm.

Rick

Oh and I wish that someone was selling parts to fix the static issues for a reasonable price. I would love to buy a metal boom block for the 500. I am ordering a metal tail and metal bearing mounts.

Hi rick,

I completely agree with you, my question was really not to flame someone's activity, especially because I'm a usual member of this forum, and I learn everything from here; sometimes amazed by the professionalism of freaks!

I've already got one of your mount for my 450, indestructible after the 50++ crash I had

I'm gonna get one for my 500 as soon as RH got them back in stock

Take care and nice flights to you

Cédric
Old 03-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #63 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Thanks for the support gents. I sent a few mounts to Ready this morning, but I was limited by how much hardware I had. I will send more as soon as my hardware comes in or I can find some locally.

Rick
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

sounds great ! I got it in my wish list
Old 03-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Received and installed YOUR mount today rick! awesome addition to MY 500! Perfect fit between the frames and it holds MY r606fs receiver and jr770 gyro out of harms way. Nice to be able to remove the tail mount without screwing with the gyro tape and what not. Nice work Rick! Here are some pics

chuckk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #66 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckk View Post
Received and installed YOUR mount today rick! awesome addition to MY 500! Perfect fit between the frames and it holds MY r606fs receiver and jr770 gyro out of harms way. Nice to be able to removed the tail mount without screwing with your gyro tape and what not. Nice work Rick! Here are some pics

Nice shot. Your bird looks great!
Thanks
Rick
Old 03-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #67 (permalink)
Team Tostada Member

Rick I gotta wonder what the heck's wrong with you man. First you send me a part that gets here BEFORE I even ordered it, then said part actually FITS PERFECTLY without any creative engineering. On top of that it actually has enough space to mount everything I want on it AND it doesn't flop around like the stock piece.

Keep slacking off like this and I'm gonna tell on you.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #68 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yeah, but I don't think it's been crash tested or not ???

HELI-FREAK, You couldn't have picked a better place to land !
ChasHeliCop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #69 (permalink)
Team Tostada Member

Hey CHC-thanks for putting the bug in Rick's ear!

As far as crash testing.....give me a couple of minutes........
Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #70 (permalink)
DVS
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got mine today VERY nice
DVS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #71 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpspeed View Post
Rick I gotta wonder what the heck's wrong with you man. First you send me a part that gets here BEFORE I even ordered it, then said part actually FITS PERFECTLY without any creative engineering. On top of that it actually has enough space to mount everything I want on it AND it doesn't flop around like the stock piece.

Keep slacking off like this and I'm gonna tell on you.
Glad I got it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
Got mine today VERY nice
Excellent! Thanks!

Made up a bunch more for Ready Heli and my web site tonight. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for screws from RTL Fastners so I can't finish them. Not that I'm complaining about RTL. I just ordered them Thursday.

Anybody know of a great place to buy bulk M2x8mm Socket Head Cap Screws (black) and M2 Flat Washers? RTL sells in packs of 50 but I would prefer 500 or 1000.

Rick
Old 03-18-2008, 02:03 AM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Glad I got it right!

Excellent! Thanks!

Made up a bunch more for Ready Heli and my web site tonight. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for screws from RTL Fastners so I can't finish them. Not that I'm complaining about RTL. I just ordered them Thursday.

Anybody know of a great place to buy bulk M2x8mm Socket Head Cap Screws (black) and M2 Flat Washers? RTL sells in packs of 50 but I would prefer 500 or 1000.

Rick

Rick,

MSCDIRECT.com

awesome company.

BigT
chichiuno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #73 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by chichiuno View Post
Rick,

MSCDIRECT.com

awesome company.

BigT
Thanks. I sent them an email.
I also got a bulk price from RTL thats decent.

No screws came in the mail today . Hoping for tomorrow!

Rick
Old 03-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

The pics look good up there

to the guy saying you could make one .. well it sounds easy but in reality it's not.

Making a jig and getting that jig right takes time. I've made a few custom parts for my helis on several ocassions and it takes time to get right. If you got the time , go for it , if you'd rather buy one and save the time then that's your choice.

My stock tray is twisted bad and i'm considering making one myself only because im in canada and shipping times are high. I think the $16 on a $1000 heli shouldn't be a factor if you look at it.

Rick ... Do you ship to canada via usps ? Or do i need to buy via a store (like rediheli) ? Is there an additional charge for canada shipping ?

Martin
rcmarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #75 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmarty View Post
The pics look good up there

to the guy saying you could make one .. well it sounds easy but in reality it's not.

Making a jig and getting that jig right takes time. I've made a few custom parts for my helis on several ocassions and it takes time to get right. If you got the time , go for it , if you'd rather buy one and save the time then that's your choice.

My stock tray is twisted bad and i'm considering making one myself only because im in canada and shipping times are high. I think the $16 on a $1000 heli shouldn't be a factor if you look at it.

Rick ... Do you ship to canada via usps ? Or do i need to buy via a store (like rediheli) ? Is there an additional charge for canada shipping ?

Martin
Hi Martin,

I ship anywhere. $18.50 shipped to US, $21 shipped anywhere else.

And you are correct, they take a bit to do perfectly. I still destroy a few each time I make a batch. I either make them too thin so the fit is not perfect, or I drill a hole that deforms the lexan on the flat surface. Its always the last of the four holes that I screw up, which are of course drilled after all the sizing is done. Not complaining though. I'm enjoying doing a different kind of mount.

Rick
Old 03-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #76 (permalink)
Team Taco CEO

Quote:

Rick
http://www.mcmaster.com/

type in 91290A015 for part number.

Shipping is usually next day, and if they have a branch near you area, shipping can be same day.

Don't Taco My Pack, Bro! ,
Why crash when you can POUND it!
fireup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #77 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireup View Post
http://www.mcmaster.com/

type in 91290A015 for part number.

Shipping is usually next day, and if they have a branch near you area, shipping can be same day.
Cool, thanks. I emailed them for a quote.

Rick
Old 03-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #78 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

: banana
The screws and washers came!

Rick
Old 03-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #79 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
: banana
The screws and washers came!

Rick
Would you look at that. I found a bug in the forum! One banana was a no show.
Rick
Old 03-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #80 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

It's just that one banana is a member of the Union, and he's on break !

HELI-FREAK, You couldn't have picked a better place to land !
ChasHeliCop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in