Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2014, 08:17 AM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrinque View Post
Front umbrella gears - there are two types only straight and slant it simply should fit autorotation gear. I use slant ...
Great info. as always my friend.
Thanks for your ongoing support with this.
Can't wait to get those 700's in the air this summer. I may not get the 800 build flying until fall(if everything goes as planned). But it will be fun to build nonetheless.

PS. I noticed a difference in height between the T-Rex 700 and and 800's. Do you think that's due to the landing gear or is it the frames themselves that are taller?

Last edited by Esstee; 05-25-2014 at 02:10 PM..
Esstee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #102 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Actually seems that Align 800 has thicker tail boom, higher frame to fit bigger lipos and slightly different "floor", bigger canopy. Thats it.

Thinner boom from Align stretch kit does the job well. Just keep in mind Align 800 plastic tail mount has bigger hole than 700.

Most importantly drive tran is the same as in 700...

That is why I prefer stretching 700. It is lighter.

I am learning sailing. I have found interesting sources of information. Maybe I2'll post them later. I love sailing. Imagine 4 hours of fun on one avionics 2S lipo...

http://www.ivorbittle.co.uk/Articles...tre%20boat.htm

Today I attended my first funfly ever.

I was flying two 800s, three 700s, 600 EFL PRO and 450 Pro FBL. I have flown also Forza 450 (setup by Hiroki Ito ). It was fun. All models survived my flying. It was great opportunity to watch much better pilots than myself. I wonder if they like 800s. There was TV camera. Maybe I will find some clip on the net.

More photos and few video clips:
http://www.epheli.pl/index.php?name=...=asc&start=135

Last edited by utrinque; 06-02-2014 at 02:57 PM..
utrinque is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #103 (permalink)

Idea for new experiment appeared in my mind...

Lets put 600mm blades in 800heli.

Lets experience heavy 600 at high RPM.

I know why I like stretching. Lets check opposite - shrinking. Lets try 4.2kW motor with 600mm blades at high RPMs...

In the past I was flying heavy 600 with SK3 700 motor. I was flying also low weight 700 with 600 blades to check gyro settings. I do not expect surprises. This one will be really heavy, screeming 600.

Align combo for $975:
http://www.rcpioneer.com/product2.asp?id=1436&type2=75

Gartt sells RC car with top speed 30km/s? I am.sure it is just funny typo:

Weather today is perfect. Many hours of flying with 800, 450 and Eflite Extra 260. I wanted to sail but there is no wind. Those conditions are great to practice low RPM flying with Gartt 800. Motor started to get hotter but still far from dangerously hot. I do not push this 800 to hard because it has YEP 120A HV regulator. Extra 260 looks beautiful in the air.

I like transparent bottom of the wings.

I like Phantom sailboat very much. Today wind was just perfect for sailing. I wonder if $1000 sailboats perform much better... I miss someone to compete. It would test which settings are crucial for speed. Anyway I do enjoy water, wind and pure fun. I also recommend 20A YEP SBEC for stock servos set at 6V. Those servos are quite ok but very voltage sensitive. With 3S lipo and this SBEC they are stronger than with Align BEC providing lower voltage.

Sorry for offtopic.

I was flying Gartt 700 and 450 PRO again... They still perform very well...

I repaired old Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 yesterday. It has red fuselage and yellow wings and rudder now. Next one will have green fuselage and red wings. Third one will be full yellow. I am going to put MKS DS92 servos in it. Again it is my favourite plank now. It is incredible. MKS DS92 are on sale for $24... They are going to be discontinued. Last chance to get them relatively cheap. Contact MKS directly by email to order them if you want.

Last edited by utrinque; 06-11-2014 at 07:21 PM..
Old 06-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #104 (permalink)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZOUlP8JfKE

Around 20kg of lipos last week... Many flights with 800, 700, 450, PA Extra 260 and many hours of sailing Phantom boat. Zero crashes of course.

I installed YEP 20A SBEC on 800 and power loses are gone! I got this SBEC for around $8 using buddy codes. Actually three o them. It was great purchase.

Update:
Three Gartts after many, many flights are still in great shape.

I have put old ZYX 3axis gyro in old Precision Aerobatics Extra 260. Tomorrow I want to test it and setup gains after test flights. This gyro does not have setting for plank. I use heli 120 prefer. Aileron work together with elevator on elevator axis. Extra will be stabilized in all 3 axis. I just hope I did not mess reverses and gyro directions.

I like to fly in strong wind. Today wind was different. I did not like it. It was throwing 800 up and down, changing direction often. I did not like it. I felt like 800 rotor was working like big sail. For gyro on Extra it was good test. Gyro works good. Anyway I prefer to fly plank without gyro. What I like plane behaves different. It feels like learning to fly again to discover good and bad behaviors of this setup. I wonder if there are special recomendations for settng gyro on a plane...

Today different field. Very strong wind. Usually there are at least 10 pilots on his field. Today I was alone. Probably due to the wind. This time wind was strong but constant. I like it. I regret I did not take GPS. Probably 800 was faster than 200km/h down wind.

So today I celebrate 8000 views of this thread... 7 months after I decided to get first Assault kit. Thank you followers.

Last edited by utrinque; 06-24-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Old 06-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #105 (permalink)

Gartt 700 530kV motors started to get hot in hot days on both 700 and 800. Not extremely hot to make me worry about but definitely could be cooler.

I did not fly really hard. Probably harder than month ago...

Anyway bigger motor for 800 would be nice. There is also second option... rewinding, but I am not in a hurry.

Update:
After flying Gartt 700 and Gartt 800 today I like them so much that I got fourth. Motors were cooler today because ambient temperature was more comfortable for me and for motor.

Actually price was good $171.18 because it is the one HobbyKing used to make this photo:

I really do not care about upgraded Assault 700 DFC version because I have 4 Align swashes, few slant mod 1.0 main gears and I have spare Align tail slider.

Most probably I will not build this one. I do not need fourth 800 heli. I just have source of cheap spare parts and will keep it in the box.

Now you can call me collectioner...

Update: I almost crashed 800 today. I was hovering very low. Applied full collective up on second idle. Heli started climbing, I lost elevator controll and heli started to loop by itself. I hit throttle hold regained cyclic controll landed power off. Nothing broke. Call me lucky. I do not trust RJX HV servos in 800. Benji still has them in 800. Probably I will read bar log and switch to blue TGY/KST servos. It happened after many flights with this setup. YEP 20A SBEC is to weak? Possible. Log should.provide some answers...

Last edited by utrinque; 07-04-2014 at 09:34 AM..
Old 07-06-2014, 04:45 AM   #106 (permalink)

Default redneck

Yesterday I maidened new Precision Aerobatics Extra 260. It is my second one. I love this plank. With 3S lipo it is fast like 450 hovers like heli. This one has green fuselage and red wings and canopy. Third one all yellow is waiting in the box...

This one I build using MKS DS92 servos. Usually they sold it for $45 now they are on sale for around $23. Awesome servos. This model is discontinued that is why there is sale on it. Write an email to MKS and get them. I got 20. Actually those are my first MKS servos ever.

I was flying Extra, Gartt 700, FunCub, 450PRO for 7 hours non stop yesterday. I have sunburn on my neck. Zero crashes. It was hot but Gartt 700 motor survived.

Get Extra 260 from PA! Tons of fun. They have now Bandid on sale. $70 cheaper than usulal. Also great plane...

[ame]http://youtu.be/KtBuD17oV2Q[/ame]

450 is starting to piss me off. Two crashes due to malfunctions in flight in last days. 700 and 800 do not have such problems.

After repair 450 PRO is performing well. I would love to try 6S 450L Dominator.

Many flights today with 700. Weather is hot. That is why I fly Gartt 700 not 800. I do not want to burn motor. With 4.9Ah lipos it has more power but feels heavy. I do not like it. I prefer flying with 4.5 lipos.

Update:
It is getting borring. In last few days I fly 5-7h a day. Weather is to hot. Gartt is performing very well in those conditions. Better than me... : ). It just flies and nothing breaks. Motor is hot but below 100deg Celsius. I am sure it will not burn on me. At least dozen flights today with Gartt 700. Wind was very strong. Twice it took baseball hat from my head during flights. I love this heli.

How I know it is below 100degrees? Just put drop of water (or saliva),on your motor after flight if it is hot. It wil evaporate fast. If teperature is over 100 it would boil. Got it? Actually I do not need thermometer.

I noticed top heli pilots do not write on forums. Once I wrote that when I will not be a newbie anymore I will also stop writing. Let me confess I am glad I am still a newbie... I enjoy sharing my findings with you.

Is Align 700 DFC true COMBO price $400?:
http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/114..._KX018E14.html

Weather is not so hot anymore 800 is back in the air.

Today Metallica in Warsaw. Worst concert ever. Horrible sound, dissapointing. I left after half an hour.

Last edited by utrinque; 07-11-2014 at 03:09 PM..
Old 07-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #107 (permalink)

Default Broken frame

Yesterday I noticed that left side of the frame at front is not flat. Actually front of it was broken. I was very surprised because my landings were smooth. Than I realized that few days ago I had hard landing in autorotation due to electronics malfunction. After applying full collective heli started to loop by itself. I hit throttle hold and landed. I did not notice any dammage because I was looking mainly for broken skids.

Surprisingly Align skids did not break.

I was surprised because in the past in hard crash of 800 another frame did not break.

Anyway because I installed lipos already I decided to fly with broken frame. I did not notice anything unusual during the flight.

Today I will replace broken half frame.

I wonder if Align frame would broke. It is thicker and has massive plastic at front making it stronger in area which broke.

Raining all day yesterday. I replaced broken frame and got rid of RJX HV servos. I put blue TGY 815 and TGY 805 on tail. Now I trust my 800 much more. I setup gyro, now I finish recharging and will fly it today.

Turnigy TGY BLS 805 tail servo test - Assault 800…
[ame]http://youtu.be/AyQ0qtW_wYY[/ame]

Today Gartt 700 catched fire. It was black cloud of fumes and than pure fire. After I landed all components seemed fine except front part of the frame. I had to replace it. It was short circuit betwen cables. My fault. Shame on me but effect was spectacular. Fortunatelly lipos are fine and did not burn, explode nor fried.

800 with blue servos was flying nice in strong wind.

>9000 views of this thread. I am surprised. It is quite borring thread.

Maybe I will increase RPM in my 800 to have more exciting news. Now it has 780mm blades and 180A HV YEP. I can risk burning $48 motor...

Thank you.

Update: Unfortunatelly not only half of the frame was damaged. I burned motor also. I am pretty sure short circuit outside the motor happened first. Actually I blame it for burned motor. In the same two 800s motor is fine after many many flights. Now question is did YEP 120A burn too? I will check.

Last edited by utrinque; 07-20-2014 at 01:04 AM..
Old 07-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #108 (permalink)

I received PM from Australia:

"Thanks for the compliment. Its not how good you fly, its about how much you enjoy it and like helping others.
And my friend you have helped dispell the myth that you have to have the absolute latest and greatest to have a good machine and have fun. And helped many as far as what upgrades are required to get the most of this machine.

I have logos and miniature aircraft machines (top end machines) , but i wanted to build a cheaper machine to see if it was viable. Mainly as i hate seeing newbies by super expensive machines and crash them all the time. Or buy junk that doesnt fly. I thought this assault 700 might be a good machine to learn and push your limits with regardless of skill level, but on a machine that is capable, flies good and wont cost you the earth in a crash.

Ive read all your posts on the assault 700 and again i thank you for taking the time too share with others your findings."

Author does not mind me posting his PM.

Actually he is great pilot, much better than me:
[ame]http://youtu.be/QRtGZwl5Tkg[/ame]

My friend Benji flying Assault 800 with green TDR canopy ordered second Assault kit. I would not be surprised but he crashed Goblin 700 in ninth flight earlier than switched to Agile 7.2 crashed and repaired it. Than ordered Goblin 560, has mini Protos, Logo 600 and many other helis. He is serious...

Actually he never flown Assault with 700mm blades. He put 800mm right away. His 800 is still in perfect shape.

I like him. He is honest and dedicated, passionate.

Godspeed Benji.

Update:
I fried my Spartan Bluetooth for VBar
My fault. I wanted to mod connector to be able to use it with another gyro. Be careful with those BT dongles.
It was already my second fried BT .

Anyway I have two new BT modules. I was looking for BT capable of HV and found this on eBay:
http://www.ebay.pl/itm/261514068595?...84.m1497.l2649

I recommend it. It is cheap $18, handles 10V, has long range and I already tested it. Works just fine.

You can find BT cheaper but most of them handle only 5-6V and can fail at higher voltage.

Foirth Gartt kit (Assault from HK) is already in Warsaw. Stopped at customs. I ordered two 700 530kV motors. Probably I'll get second YEP 180A HV for second 800.

I do not fly 800 every day anymore. I got bored a little.

I miss something...

New video from Jan:
Jan Erlebach 2014 - CRASH! (2 min 34 sec)

Last edited by utrinque; 07-31-2014 at 07:02 AM..
Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #109 (permalink)

Default Short update

Two 800s and 700 are still in perfect shape. I fly 4-5 hours a day in last week. Fourth Assault frame arrived.

To avoid charging at the field I fly a lot 450 PRO DFC, PA Extra 260 and Fun Cub. I have around 20 3S lipos.

I was not flying X5 for a while. X5 feels much lighter than other helis. I like it. Only disadvantage it kills 6S lipos at high RPM. I need lipos with higher C rating.

Update:
I had bad crash with X5 : ( Most probably servo mount broke in flight. I need new frame. Definitely I will rebuild it.

I did not know that e-flite discontinued my favourite bipe Pitts 12:

I was flying it today after long break. It can fly even with 3S lipos. 4S setup gives much mkre power. Wind was strong but all landings vere smooth today. It is fragile plank. I love the way it handles. Most fragile part is probably landing gear. Anyway when I noticed it is discontinued I had to order one more. Fortunatelly I have found one kit in Germany. For me it is sad that such beautifull plane is not produced anymore.

By the way 800 in strong wind is even more fun. I like doing rainbows with 800.

Now I build this bipe:

Upper wing span around 145cm.

I will need a truck to get it to the field. Size comparison with my 800:

Last edited by utrinque; 08-17-2014 at 03:52 AM..
Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 AM   #110 (permalink)

There are many new videos on Youtube showing Assault 700. Still Jan Erlebach's videos are my favourites.

10866 views make this thread second most often viewed in 800 subforum. Thank you for interest.

I suppose we have many viewers looking for epic dissaster...

I was flying 800 yesterday and all is still fine.

Amazon is selling Gartt:
http://www.amazon.com/%C2%AEGT700-RC.../dp/B00FGLB3MW

Last edited by utrinque; 08-27-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Old 08-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #111 (permalink)

I started to push 700 harder. Maybe I am over sensitive. I noticed change of sound it makes.

800 was always quieter. I am to lazy to investigate. It flies very well. Sound change annoys me.

Main suspect is motor. I have to check it for loose magnet. I learned in the past that sound change is not a good symptom and motors like to break when hovering inverted.

It was different heli and different motor. But it was 700.

It is funny I did not crash any of my Gartts once in last few months. I did crash 450 PRO few times in the same period.

I do not mind I have three of them and plenty of spare parts to keep them flying. Mechanical failures happen more often on small helis.

Last edited by utrinque; 09-03-2014 at 10:58 AM..
Old 09-07-2014, 12:33 AM   #112 (permalink)

Many flights with Gartt 700 and 800. I increased power finally by increasing throttle curve in 700. Lipos and motor are still not hot after 5min flight. Flying is much easier with higher RPM.

I have problem with tail in 450 PRO after I upgrading tail slider.

My fault but again I have impression 700 and 800 are much easier to work on. I will dissasemble this tail and look at tail bearings in tail blade gripps. Maybe washer is missing. I used brand new Align parts. I do not blame Align. New slider looks good.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:47 AM   #113 (permalink)

Default New video

My friend Benji is trying hard to damage his 800 in flight. Did he succeede? Lets see...
[ame]http://youtu.be/0fYYnPB0LeM[/ame]

He has Align 800MX motor.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
My friend Benji is trying hard to damage his 800 in flight. Did he succeede? Lets see...
http://youtu.be/0fYYnPB0LeM

He has Align 800MX motor.
800MX, 520KV or 440KV?

What headspeed?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #115 (permalink)

Benji has 850MX Brushless Motor 490KV - now confirmed.

Regarding RPM he has programmed three speeds:1450, 1650 - used most often and showed in video, 1800 - this one he uses rarely. He was flying earlier this at 1900 RPM but probably this RPM is just waste of ammo in 800.

Actually I have no idea what is my RPM exactly. I set throttle curves according to my mood and in the past I was keeping them low. Now I like higher RPMs. I do not like to use governor. Presonal preference. Someday I plan to set Vbar gov just to feel the difference.

Last edited by utrinque; 09-15-2014 at 02:21 PM..
Old 09-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #116 (permalink)

Check Heligods forum.

Last edited by utrinque; 09-21-2014 at 03:49 AM..
Old 09-16-2014, 05:26 AM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Thanks for al your info utrinque, can you maybe add the shop links to your reccommended align parts for the 700 and 800 uprade? That would help me a lot!

Thanks,

Matt

Quote:
I do recommend replacement of following parts with Align:
- swash plate - Gartt improved design after I have sent a request. I tested it already and recommend using Align swash. It is around 30$ and will survive any crash.
- main gear slant 112T-118T mod 1.0 - I am flying with Gartt main gear on my low weight 700 without issues, but slant main is quieter and can handle hard flying in Trekker
- front umbrella gears - for piece of mind because it seems to be weakest point of Align design
- tail slider - my friend Benji is still using Gartt tail slider in his 800 but he reinforced it with Loctite 638, this procedure is not easy because new one is difficult to disassemble and waiting until it has play is not best solution
-
M3 bolts keeping tail grips in place - I do recommend 12.9 hardened bolts - I did not replace mine yet, but one of them broke in flight once
- optionally tail shaft with umbrella gear - I am using Gartt but Align upgraded this part because old part HN7042 sometimes broke, you will need this part: H70G005XX it contains new hub, old one used also by Gartt will not fit
- landing gear - Assault has stiff one but fragile, good pilot should have no problems, but Align plastic is stronger
- thrust bearings in tail grips - are included in Assault kit, but Gartt had 3 radial bearings, they are cheap around $2 if not with Align logo
- tail supports - I use Gartt parts in my low weight 700s without issues but I recommend. reinforcement with small screw.
- links and ball links - should be fine for 700, in 800 for piece of mind I use those from Trekker they look stronger

I use Taranis radio.

Recommended reading:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=295533
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=587363

In 800s I do not have problems with:
- whole frame - main shaft mounts and tail mount are strong enough
- oryginal NMB bearings and OWB are fine (Align kits hed some problems with OWB which required additional Loctite)
- DFC heads (till now three of them work great... I am still testing them) - I did not fly very high RPMs. I think with 800mm blades 1800-2000 RPM should be ok for them. One head survived hard crash without scratch
- main shaft
- alu servo horns provided with Assault kit - survived 800 hard crash
- tail cage
- tail fin
- rear umbrela gears, tail grips, hub - I use them in 800

I have replaced tail slider and "buterfly" for piece of mind, someday I will use original Gartt tail slider

I use YEP 180A HV regulator in 800, YEP 120A HV in 800 and 700, TGY-BLS805MG servos for cyclics and TGY-BLS815MG HV for tail - those servos survived 800 crash,are strong fast, have BL motors and metal gears.

In 700 I did not experience problems with:

- tail boom and TT
- tail push rod after I reglued it
- tail pushrod mounts
- skids should be fine for 700

For 700 I recommend YEP 120A HV, cheap $30 Power HD 1266, 1267 servos, $50 TGY-BLS805MG and TGY-BLS815MG HV (tail).

Motors:
- Turnigy 700 Series 530KV Brushless Outrunner Helicopter Motor - I have three of them, 800 can easily fly 102mph with this motor, I keep relatively low RPM,I do prefer lower kV for 800, but YEP can handle low throttle curve (for me they re better than SK3 700)
- 700 .90 Size 530KV Brushless Outrunner Helicopter Motor $76.35 - I did not fly it.
- Turnigy HeliDrive SK3 Competition Series - 4962-480kv-560kV - I like those for low weight 700s
- Benji uses Align 850MX in his 800
- KDE has 330$ >12kW ; )

I have over 100 flights with 3 Gartt GT 700 DFC kits. Two stretched to 800. I like them.

Are they good for you? I have no idea. Your call...

Update: My two Gartt (Assault) 800 helis are still alive and kicking. Third Gartt joned them today ad 700 with MAH blades (from Kostek... thanks). Over 10 flights and I like it a lot. Definitely there is huge difference comparing to 800s. I like both sizes.

Update: Only 6 more flights today due to the rainy weather.
repute is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #118 (permalink)

Gartts still flying. Today I crashed two planks including my favorite PA Extra 260. So more flights with 800 and 700 today. They became my most reliable helis.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Crashed the Assault 700

Well I crashed my Assault 700 today. I don't care what people say I like the Assault maybe just a little bit better then my T-rex.
travisiniraq is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #120 (permalink)

Finally Assault 700 DFC kit is available from EU warehouse. Price $250 is better than in International considering much lower shipment cost around $11.

I will not get fifth kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in