Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 07:15 PM   #1161 (permalink)

Finless,

I was walking thru your other build threads and noticed that they have a TON more info on building, each part/step included and noticed some things I dont recall seeing in your build vids on this thread.

The collar with 2 grub screws and pinching the bottom with main gear in place. I dont remember doing this so I went and took off the head assembly and again tried to adjust the main gear and auto gear so they were a little closer together with no luck but its been flying so I hope I am ok there. Then I pinched as you show in your HDX400 vids and locked the collar down again. I noticed that it no longer spins as freely as it used to and you show in your Ad-hoc maintanance vid that it should be pretty free. Do I have another problem? bearings?
MellVR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 11:30 PM   #1162 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

You want to pinch them down so there is no top to bottom end play but not so hard that the bearings bind up! I think you pinched them together too hard!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #1163 (permalink)

I guess I did, in your vids, it appeared you had too but i got them to where there is no slop yet bearings are free.

so I basically re-tuned the bird and noticed it wasnt quite as loud as it used to be (think i had motor pinion too hard against gear) and everything was perfect...was VERY excited and decided to go ahead and try to use the 13T pinion since I cannot get more than 10deg of pitch (unsure why...sent you PM a while back about that) because I get full throw on the servos (up and down Main shaft til it almost touches top and almost binds at bottom)...and an old problem I thought I was rid of returned...the tail end moves left now that I have more RPM's.

been trying all day to redo the tail, but it keeps going left even at an even hover in idle up (100,95,90,95,100)...like the tail is too strong. I think tail going right would be a belt slipping? I recentered the tail (90's all the way around), no creep on the servo and going -1 or +1 on subtrim will cause it to creep ever so slightly. did a re-bind on the AR7000/DX7 as per others advice, also noticed I get some wag with new motor so I dropped the gain down some on my DX7 and thats gone but the gentle yet annoying tail movement is beating me.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:36 AM   #1164 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm new to this forum so I just wanted to say: Thank you Bob for the great videos.
They helped me so much while setting up my Thunder Tiger Mini Titan.

With best wishes from frozen Germany.

Last edited by Mr. Slumber; 11-19-2007 at 10:40 AM..
Mr. Slumber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #1165 (permalink)

Hey, I love Bobs videos but I can't watch them because I have windows vista. How can I get it to work?
Wii1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #1166 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just download K-Lite Codec Pack and get rid of all this problems

Hope this helped you.
T-Rex 500 / Logo 500 3D / Trojan T-28 / Super Mini Cub / MPX Blizzard
Mikrokopter Cayman 500 /
Mr. Slumber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 07:53 PM   #1167 (permalink)

Guys if I want to download Bobs videos to my computer. Do I have to click save on download file, or stream file?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #1168 (permalink)

Wii1,

Ive done both, as long as you have the codecs installed on your system, both will work.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 PM   #1169 (permalink)

Thanks guys I've finally done it.

I used to use the old 98 computer. but now I can watch the vids without having the screen freeze.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #1170 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Finless
Finally managed to get registered. Had the pleasure of watching some of your video's with a T-rex flying friend. I have just completed my build of the Mini Titan and was wondering if and when you will be moving to this neat heli. Never having flown electric before I am not sure about basics like the electrics. Can we contribute to your future MT so we can see some more great video's?
andyrauc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #1171 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Aileron with Pitch

I have gone through most most of the vids on here which have been extremely helpful....Thanks! I have the Trex 450 SE V2.

When looking at the stick positions on the LCD of my DX-7, I notice that the more throttle I give the controls, the more left aileron and down elevator the controls go. I am not giving it any aileron or elevator, but it is going that way. This may be normal or I probably have something screwed up, but when the heli gets ready to hover, it wants to tip to the left badly. Is there a setting I am missing? I have the throttle and pitch curves set up as per your vids. The servos seem to be moving in the correct directions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited by bill9519; 11-22-2007 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: more detail
bill9519 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #1172 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Sounds like your CCPM setup is not right. Go back to the CCPM1 and CCPM2 videos and check it.
Previous rides: HX242, W5-4, TRex450(HDE), TRex450(SE), QJ-EP8v2, BCX2 ,Logo10, Hurricane550
SIM: Phoenix (previously also Reflex/XTR, ClearView, RF, FMS)
kgfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #1173 (permalink)

Is there a special size ball link tool or will any work? The one from JR I saw looks like it may be a little too big?
MikeyMike1969 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2007, 05:14 AM   #1174 (permalink)
Registered Users

JR one works fine.

WRT the swash tilt, did you REST the model memory first? It sounds like you may have mixes set up.

Of you have the wrong swash type selected.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2007, 07:14 AM   #1175 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Aileron with Pitch

I have the swash plate set up for 3 servo 120 degrees for my Trex 450. I do not have any mixes set up either.

One thing I noticed is if I move the controls around, the flybar ends up dropping down on one side, there is nothing keeping it level.

Thank,

Bill
Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #1176 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9519 View Post
One thing I noticed is if I move the controls around, the flybar ends up dropping down on one side, there is nothing keeping it level.
That's not unusual, although you should make sure the flybar will swing somewhat freely. When you slap down the paddle somewhat hard, it should at least go down, up, down.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2007, 08:41 AM   #1177 (permalink)

My HF Map location

yes it moves freely. still have the left aileron and down elevator when giving up throttle.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #1178 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It really sounds as if your swash mix or servo reversing is messed up. Try to watch Bob's videos again. You want all of your servos moving in the same direction (it doesn't even have to be the right direction, just so they are all the same) when you move the collective, if they aren't, use the servo reversing to correct this. After that, you can use the values in your swash menu to correct the elevator and aileron directions, and correct the direction for collective if necessary. Do not use the servo reversing feature again once you have them all going the same way for collective, use the swash menu only at this point.

Also, make sure the servos are plugged into the right slots on the Rx, the rear servo must be elevator, the front ones are aileron and pitch.

Hope this helps.
j bomb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #1179 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yes, revisited the vids and it all looks good, When I look at the swash plate, it remains level at all throttle positions, but the stick monitor window on the TX shows the left Aileron and Down elevator. Even theough the Swash remains level!
Thanks!

Bill
Old 11-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #1180 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Based on the servo reversing etc do not expect Aileron, Elevator and pitch to all go the same direction in the stick monitor. That is normal. As long as you swash is level at low, mid, and high you should be OK.

Also all Heli's tip to the left in the hover. This is normal as well. The disk is compensating for the push of the tail rotor thus the "lean" to the left.

Finally if you just learning you need to hover higher than skids just off the ground. With them only an inch or so off the ground you are in what is called ground effect and it's harder to control. You need to be at least a full disk width above the ground.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in