Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #221 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys, Is someone finally find out how to swap the idle up and throttle switch on the devo8 by software?

Do we have to do it manually by switchinng the switch inside?

Regards,
probicha is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #222 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Genius CP rudder problem

Both the Left and Right Rudder causes the heli to spin the same direction as opposed to opposite direction. Does anyone know if this is Mechanical, or if it is just a setting on the Tx that I need to adjust? Just got my Genius CP like 2 days ago... Kind of confused.
holygoodness is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #223 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Devo 7 on Genius CP

i am Mode 2. the TX was a Mode1 and later change it to Mode2.
i find the throw on throttle did not have 100% , meaning :
just above mid stick, it is already showing 100% on the LCD display
just below mid stick, it is already showing 0 % on the LCD display.

Do you calibrate the throttle ? using the function in the menu of the Devo7 ?
thanks.
from Singapore
mh3400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by probicha View Post
Hey, what is the battery size for the Walkera mini cp genius (the new version). I would like to upgrade it to brushless with bigger battery...I wonder if this battery will fit :300mAh 43 X 17 X 6mm

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Pro_100_.html

Or the one for the MCPx 48,5 x 7,1 x 19

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ade_mCPx_.html

Regards,
Buy the ones for the solo pro because they have the right end on them and they fit . I have these and they work great . Make sure you swap the black and red wires in the conectors our the polarity will be wrong . It is easily dine with a small flat screw driver .
5488fletcher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #225 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys,

I am still having problems with my "Devention DfuSe USB Upgrade Tool." The program loads and runs properly and its STM32 DFU driver seems to be loaded correctly as well. When my TX connects to my computer, in USB mode, I can hear the acknowledgement tone from window so I know has been recognized. But the "...Upgrade Tool" does not show any "Available DFU Devices," ie. the drop down box is empty.

Does anyone know what is cause this?

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Thx,
on.looker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #226 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is my logic flawed ??

Is my logic flawed ??

After a lot research I want to make sure my logic is not flawed:

Walkera came out with the Genius CP. Great heli but is seems it is close to a beginners heli but not really.

They came out with a Genius FP but for a very limited time. Same frame, and mostly the same parts. Closer to a beginners heli.

Now they have the Super FP. New frame and some of the same parts. Closer to a beginners heli as well

COULD......... a heli flyer coming off a coaxial get into a Genius CP, make the pitch curve the same in ALL positions (say 70%), make the throttle curve straight line from 0 to 100% and essentially have a fixed pitch heli just like the Genius FP or the Super FP? That way a semi beginner could purchase one heli that would be fixed pitch and go into a collective pitch when they are ready.

This seems right but I want to make sure.
jweimer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 05:35 AM   #227 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweimer View Post
Is my logic flawed ??

Walkera came out with the Genius CP. Great heli but is seems it is close to a beginners heli but not really.

They came out with a Genius FP but for a very limited time. Same frame, and mostly the same parts. Closer to a beginners heli.

Now they have the Super FP. New frame and some of the same parts. Closer to a beginners heli as well

COULD......... a heli flyer coming off a coaxial get into a Genius CP, make the pitch curve the same in ALL positions (say 70%), make the throttle curve straight line from 0 to 100% and essentially have a fixed pitch heli just like the Genius FP or the Super FP? That way a semi beginner could purchase one heli that would be fixed pitch and go into a collective pitch when they are ready.

Your logic isn't flawed. I just tried it on my 250 FBL, but had my pitch curve set to 85 straight across. It did act like a FP bird on lift off. So you can do this on other classes other then just a Genuis if you really wanted to.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801

Last edited by Silver-techie; 05-16-2012 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: redid post.
Silver-techie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #228 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thank you Silver-techie

THANK YOU Silver-techie
The Genius CP is now on order and I will let everyone know how it works.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #229 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think that your logic is correct, but the average newbie may not be ready to talk pitch and throttle curves, etc, so the setup of a CP as FP may be above the head of the average newbie.

Rafa

Quote:
Is my logic flawed ??

Rafa's helis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #230 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Genius CP acting as an FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's helis View Post
I think that your logic is correct, but the average newbie may not be ready to talk pitch and throttle curves, etc, so the setup of a CP as FP may be above the head of the average newbie.

Rafa
I would agree with Rafa's helis comment that it may be a stretch for a newbie to understand the terminology…. ACCEPT for having this forum allowed me to formulate the thought in the first place.

After going through ALL the posts, all the TX / RX setups, and viewing all the videos from Finless-Bob et ALL. it was very clear what the Genius CP could do and how to set it up.
THANK YOU EVERYONE and encouragement for any newbie to go through each post in this forum and understand most, if not all, what they are saying / teaching.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #231 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default nice Video

nice Video
Viper4060 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #232 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you convert CP to FP, you still need to know how to setup the pitch on CP.
FP heli for newbie who doesn't know how to setup the pitch. On FP, usually it's 8-10 degree fixed pitch. If you set CP heli to 85% and the factory setting is not correct, you won't get the right pitch as a FP. For example, the factory setting at mid stick is -3 degree, when you set the pitch curve at 85%, you won't get 8 degree and the heli is not flyable.
pinguin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #233 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguin View Post
If you convert CP to FP, you still need to know how to setup the pitch on CP.
FP heli for newbie who doesn't know how to setup the pitch. On FP, usually it's 8-10 degree fixed pitch. If you set CP heli to 85% and the factory setting is not correct, you won't get the right pitch as a FP. For example, the factory setting at mid stick is -3 degree, when you set the pitch curve at 85%, you won't get 8 degree and the heli is not flyable.
I'm not disagreeing, but there is few other factors perhaps. Heli class.

I did 85% across for a 250, which I did test in my bedroom. 75%, it had problems lifting off and climbing, and the throttle was almost 100%.

Now 85% on a 120 class may cause it to be a bottle rocket.

Other differences, FP main blades are thinner, more flexible. I have a 200 that's fix pitch and the main blades seem to flatten out some when it's lifting. And my 250 is using carbon fiber. So you do need a pitch that allows the motor just to lift the heli at higher or rpm.

Last difference I can think of... I didn't try something like this on a fly bar. Just on my FBL since the genius is FBL.

Edit:

Also think a CP motor may work harder, or is ran less efficiently which may cause the motor/esc to run hotter having the main blade at a fix pitch.
Erazor 450 (2801 rx) 2750kv | EXI 450 Pro (2702V rx) FBL Tri-Blade head 3500kv AKE | V450 Walkera (2702V rx) 3950kv Turbo ACE 804 | 4F200 & 4F200LM | V200DQ02 & V200D02 | V120D02 & V120D05 | 250 CopterX | 250 EXI FBL | Genius - WK2801

Last edited by Silver-techie; 05-23-2012 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: Another last thought
Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #234 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info guys.
My Genius should be here any day.

I was going to start at 50% pitch across the board and increase a little at time until I get lift off at 100% throttle. I am hoping to keep the altitude low and crashes down at the beginning that way. I can understand working the motor too hard with too much pitch and will definitely keep track of temp and flight time per battery.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #235 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys.
My Genius should be here any day.

I was going to start at 50% pitch across the board and increase a little at time until I get lift off at 100% throttle. I am hoping to keep the altitude low and crashes down at the beginning that way. I can understand working the motor too hard with too much pitch and will definitely keep track of temp and flight time per battery.
No problem.

50% you should have 0 degrees. So no lift at all. I usually eye the main blade edge. The fat part should be up or going up as you increase the pitch. If is facing down, you'll have neg pitch. If it's basically flat or the fat part is pointing in the middle, it's pretty much neutral, which should be 50%.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #236 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Gang,
My Genius CP was waiting for me when I got home yesterday.

Didn’t get much sleep playing.

I got lift off at 81% pitch and 100% throttle. About a foot up.
Once I got that I tweaked everything to get a level hover pretty much hands off in 6 axis mode.
Then when to 85% pitch and at 100% throttle got to about 3 feet with a full battery. No serious crashes, just a few hard landings. I will add the landing skid mod tonight.
The motor was hot and the battery lasted around 5 minutes. Sure glad I have 4 batteries.
It will be all fun from now on and this heli will be able to take me a long way.
Thanks again for all the info in the blog.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #237 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default tail drift

Hi all.

Whats the latest on the tail drift?

I got my genius out a few days ago after not flying it for a while. The program mix having never 100% cured the drift problem i got online with the hope someone had found a 100% fix to the problem, no such luck. Nor did i find anything that seemed the likely cause.

Something that has crossed my mind for some time is gyro neutral drift due to temperature change. Most of my gyro instructions say to make sure gyro is at ambient temperature and to turn it on and let it warm up for five minutes, then turn it off and back on to recalibrate neutral at operating temp. I know some gyros are temp calibrated and/or compensated.

I removed canopy, and set up a temp gun pointed at gyro. With genius at 22 degees C ambient temp i plugged in rx. in only 1 minute the gyros temp had gone up to over 28 degrees, @ 4 minutes 33 degrees. Thats an increase of 11 degrees or 50% above calibrated neutral. Gyro temp peaked @ around 38 degrees after 8 minutes. Thats alot.

I have done a number of tests to prove this theory and am now 100% convinced the problem is neutral drift due to temp change.

More on tests later. but i will add that the hottest part of rx is right where gyro chip is. I get a similar temp from both sides of rx at this location. Is it gyro chip? chip on other side of rx? led? or a combination of the above?

Like to hear your thoughts.

Dave
heli64 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #238 (permalink)
Registered Users

My findings are consistant with those that say there genius behaves after the first flight. Gyro is at operating temp, when second cell is plugged in it recalibrates neutral.

I believe the same for the trim trick. What is actualy happening is people are bringing rx up to temp in process and the last time rx is unplugged and plugged back in neutral is calibrated.

Dave
Old 05-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #239 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's something new. I don't have a drift problem, but I have to check if my gyro doing the same.

Before you fly, you better heat it up with a hairdryer.
pinguin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #240 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguin View Post
It's something new. I don't have a drift problem, but I have to check if my gyro doing the same.

Before you fly, you better heat it up with a hairdryer.
Funny you mention hairdryer.

One of the tests I did was to to see if genius would drift right if gyro was colder than calibrated (turned on) temp. Not having any freezing spray on hand another solution to this was to remove canopy and heat gyro with hairdryer to well above operating temp, quickly calibrate (plug rx in) and fly. With the canopy off gyro cools in airflow and guess what, genius drifted quickly to right.

Dave

edit: for above test i removed some foam from under rx to expose gyro so as to cool better

Last edited by heli64; 05-28-2012 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: add info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in