Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2016, 02:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Low Headspeed

Hi Folks
I'm building a new 300x with Lynx frame, mostly Lynx parts with a CC talon 35. I'm curious about what lower head speeds I could run and still have the heli fly properly. Already have another 300x with a scorp motor if I want more speed. Just looking for more flight time and easy cruising around.
Thanks
blom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would suggest a lynx stretch kit to increase your blade length.
Then slap a 9T pinion on your motor. Using the Castle Software select "set gov rpm", input all your system specific details and type in the slowest headspeed the castle software will allow. Try it and go from there.
GodsLt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Guys,
Greetings from Sunny Australia.
Using a Lynx Stretch Kit with a stock 300X what parts do I REALLY need to upgrade?
I am still at the hovering stage and would like to increase the flight time and reduce the noise level.
Any information gratefully received,
Tony
tony#1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony#1 View Post
Hi Guys,
Greetings from Sunny Australia.
Using a Lynx Stretch Kit with a stock 300X what parts do I REALLY need to upgrade?
I am still at the hovering stage and would like to increase the flight time and reduce the noise level.
Any information gratefully received,
Tony
Main gear, change it to a Lynx slant gear and you have removed the high pitch noise that the main gear does.

The electronics is garbage so that could use a change...

I wouldn't go to bananas since its discontinued! My first option would be not to do that much to it...

1. Electronics
New motor and esc, casle35 is popular and not super expensive. Lynx EOX 2214-4100 is the king in the motor class, but something in the same size 2213 up to 2216 with 3500 or higher kv. New servos, TGY306hv, KST215 are pretty good alternatives for cyclic and tail...

Electronics can be a bit more expensive if you like the size... you can always transfer it to a better heli like Oxy3 later on...

2. Mechanics
Frame brace to not snapping main shaft from flexing in the frame. Carbon frames like Lynx Ultra frame are great but if you have a stocker and want to really bling it... Get an Oxy its basically as much as doing the full bling!

Flight time, keep head speed as low as you feel comfortable with, don't overdo it, 3200 ish maybe... Get 4s packs, used with electronics above and a pinion like 9T you'd get it about that head speed, max 3400....

4s contains more juice and not more skill requirements like some might think! A 1300 pack on 4s is basically as much power as a 1800mah 3s pack so longer flight time if you set it up for lower head speed....
Old 04-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livan75 View Post
Main gear, change it to a Lynx slant gear and you have removed the high pitch noise that the main gear does.

The electronics is garbage so that could use a change...

I wouldn't go to bananas since its discontinued! My first option would be not to do that much to it...

1. Electronics
New motor and esc, casle35 is popular and not super expensive. Lynx EOX 2214-4100 is the king in the motor class, but something in the same size 2213 up to 2216 with 3500 or higher kv. New servos, TGY306hv, KST215 are pretty good alternatives for cyclic and tail...

Electronics can be a bit more expensive if you like the size... you can always transfer it to a better heli like Oxy3 later on...

2. Mechanics
Frame brace to not snapping main shaft from flexing in the frame. Carbon frames like Lynx Ultra frame are great but if you have a stocker and want to really bling it... Get an Oxy its basically as much as doing the full bling!

Flight time, keep head speed as low as you feel comfortable with, don't overdo it, 3200 ish maybe... Get 4s packs, used with electronics above and a pinion like 9T you'd get it about that head speed, max 3400....

4s contains more juice and not more skill requirements like some might think! A 1300 pack on 4s is basically as much power as a 1800mah 3s pack so longer flight time if you set it up for lower head speed....
Livan75,
Thanks for the information. The reference to using a 4S Lipo is food for thought. I guess like most people I had assumed that the 4S setup was to increase the power for 3D flying. I had never made the connection to increased flight time. It would need the V2 version of the EOX 2214-4100 for 4S or am I wrong?
Old 04-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

To be fair, many motors "rated' for 3S can be run at 4S...
My scorpion 2213-14 is rated for 3S but I run it on 4S to yield around 4000rpm+

I would suggest finding a used 300CFX/X airframe, Getting a talon 25/Yep 40, Typhoon 2215h, 4S 1300 graphene packs, KST215 from banggood all round, a slant gear and a slant 9T pinion. Stretch using lynx parts and use 285mm zeal blades. Floaty gallore! You could always get smaller batteries (800mah 4S?) for even better floaty feel at the expense of flight time.

4S batteries hold more "energy' than 3S batteries due to the extra cell, which increases your flight time even with a lesser mah pack. I actually went from a 1350mah 3S to a 1550 4S pack and man...'low' headspeed = 8 minutes of flight time (2700rpm) and 4 minutes of 'high' headspeed (4100rpm).
GodsLt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2016, 12:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Livan75,
Thanks for the information. The reference to using a 4S Lipo is food for thought. I guess like most people I had assumed that the 4S setup was to increase the power for 3D flying. I had never made the connection to increased flight time. It would need the V2 version of the EOX 2214-4100 for 4S or am I wrong?
Yeah, its a common misconception that more cells is just for the 3d bonkers flying. Its easier to run higher head speed on more cells since you get a power advantage as well... It is a bigger fuel tank with a bigger fuel line, how you use it is up to you

What GodsLt said, you don't really need it. EOX officially supports 4s so maybe less problems in a warranty situation, but most 3s motors commonly used on 300x would probably run on 4s.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey guys, not trying to be a dick here but could I get a response to my original question.
GodsLt, thanks for the reply, at this time I'm not interested in stretching it. This is being completely scratch built for what I've got into it I could have bought a high end kit. It's amazing how many small insignificant parts (but needed) I didn't think of when I started.
Livan, I've been reading your posts since I joined here, you seem to be quite the 300x guru. Any help would be appreciated
Old 04-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blom View Post
Hey guys, not trying to be a dick here but could I get a response to my original question.
GodsLt, thanks for the reply, at this time I'm not interested in stretching it. This is being completely scratch built for what I've got into it I could have bought a high end kit. It's amazing how many small insignificant parts (but needed) I didn't think of when I started.
Livan, I've been reading your posts since I joined here, you seem to be quite the 300x guru. Any help would be appreciated
Hi blom,
Apologies for hijacking this thread,
Tony
Old 04-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Small helis thrive on headspeed, any less than 75% throttle on the stock setup and my 300cfx flew like crap. A stretch would definitely help but I would strongly suggest getting an oxy3 kit instead of dumping a bunch of $$ on a old bird that can't hold a candle to the oxy, even with every available upgrade on the planet. You will spend more on the 300 to end up with less imo.

Low hs on a 300class heli will make a slight wind blow it around like a little biotch and make it fly like there's an elephant on board.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Small helis thrive on head speed, any less than 75% throttle on the stock setup and my 300cfx flew like crap. Low head speed on a 300class heli will make a slight wind blow it around like a little bitch and make it fly like there's an elephant on board.
Thanks learnthehardway
So the consensus of opinion is that a lower head speed is not the best way to go?
I initially ran a low head speed in an attempt to tame my 300X but have slowly increased the speed as my confidence has grown and I have flown in more breezy conditions.
I guess it is a case of "fly with what you are comfortable with",
Tony
Old 04-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks learnthehardway
So the consensus of opinion is that a lower head speed is not the best way to go?
I initially ran a low head speed in an attempt to tame my 300X but have slowly increased the speed as my confidence has grown and I have flown in more breezy conditions.
Tony
if your trying to tame it, try using expo on the cyclic..on these smaller birds low headspeed makes them sluggish. once you find the headspeed you like, you'll find that different helis of different sizes want different rotor rpms..mostly the larger you go, the slower the headspeed..but at least for me I still use expo for all of them to be soft around center stick on cyclic, especially when im practicing inverted..i have both the oxy and cfx, both stretched. oxy is the way to go but I love my cfx..maybe cause its old and if I crash it wont matter..for the money...def oxy
Old 04-11-2016, 03:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi blom,
Apologies for hijacking this thread,
Tony
No problem Tony, I enjoy reading all the info.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Small helis thrive on headspeed, any less than 75% throttle on the stock setup and my 300cfx flew like crap. A stretch would definitely help but I would strongly suggest getting an oxy3 kit instead of dumping a bunch of $$ on a old bird that can't hold a candle to the oxy, even with every available upgrade on the planet. You will spend more on the 300 to end up with less imo.

Low hs on a 300class heli will make a slight wind blow it around like a little biotch and make it fly like there's an elephant on board.
Can't disagree with anything you wrote, but too far in to stop now. Sometimes I'm not to smart.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Tony
Bingo! Low is good, to low is bad but in the end its what you like...

What is correct is up to you, just lowering head speed to make it tame will eventually make it harder to fly, you can fiddle on with expo or something like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in