Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories

KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories KDE Direct Upgrades and Accessories Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default KDE Performance Tail Control for 550e

Can anyone tell me if the Performance tail control fits the standard parts on a Trex 550e V1?

I purchased it and was installing it on my 550 that has the performance tail upgrade already. I noted that the pitch slider assembly bearings are too big to fit the stock shaft slide bushing without play. I am wondering if I got parts for a 700 in this one or the wrong bearings.

I also noted that the bracket that mounts to the tail box support arm was rubbing the upper screw and bracket, I installed the second washer on top to raise the bracket to reduce the rubbing. So far my experience with this upgrade is lacking.

Is there a difference in the bushing between the V1 and V2 550's? Is this upgrade only good for the newer 550's?

Please can anyone advise me as my 550 is now down and my tail is in pieces until I get this sorted out.

I can go back to the stock control assembly but if I do this I will not install the KDE components and will return them. I am happy with the first upgrade, after tweaking the fit (light filing to free up the brass bushings and eliminate binding at extremes). but will not tolerate modding the upgrade to make it work for the price I paid.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Well I did some additional research and this is what I found;

The KDE control upgrade is not compatible with the V1 components period. IMO this should be on the distributors website as a V2 only upgrade as significant changes to the tail are required to allow this to work. I see a lack of clarity in the advertisement info, I checked around, none of them tell you V2 only, this is not a V1 upgrade with out replacing tail parts at additional cost.

An additional concern is since I have converted my tail to a belt this upgrade will not function as advertised. I can purchase the correct slide bushing to work with the KDE bearing assembly but the overall dimensions of the upgrade reduce throw by several mm (3mm to be exact I think), this reduces tail authority in my book by reducing overall pitch available. Also part of the travel on the tail shaft allows the busing head to recess in the tail case a bit, with the new bushing this will more than likely not be the case due to larger dimensions.

I do wish manufacturers would come clean on this stuff and state the short comings of their product. Instead marketing wins and they lie through omission. AARRGGHH!

I can go the alternate route and install some corrected bearings in the bearing slider, Boca sells them for $6.99 each, this would make the existing bushing work but I still loose about 1.5mm in overall throw due to the increase size of the bearing slider, better but I still loose some pitch in the tail.

So my options are;

1. Return the unit to Readyheli for a refund (not sure I can do this since it is opened and was partially installed).

2. Keep the unit and replace the bearings (7x11x3mm to 6x11x3mm) to allow me to use the V1 parts and maintain most of my travel in the control linkages as well as modify the secondary linkage to avoid rubbing the screw head on the tail case.

3. Purchase the Pro pitch assembly (basically the same $ as the bearings) and loose an additional 1.5mm in travel on the shaft (total of 3mm loss of travel) as well as the tail case change (probably will not work with the belted mod on the 550).

I refuse to eat the cost on this one at over $50 for the upgrade, if I am forced to KDE can kiss my business good bye.

For now I will revert to the stock assembly so I can fly. I will say in the future I will not, and I repeat, will not purchase anything from KDE unless I get 100% disclosure and a guarantee it will function. I am tired of getting ripped off.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry you are frustrated, I tried my best to post the information for the requirements to the website page: http://www.kdedirect.com/TREX550600PTC.html and vendors are welcomed to pull any information they need from the pages. There are two documents listed that help to explain the requirements, and I've also attached them here for reference. There are numerous versions of the "V1" kits and the "V2" kits (not all kits are the same, as new designs from ALIGN are released), so it's not easy to clarify exactly what kits the AT550/600-PTC is directly compatible for an easy install without listing all the required components.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in