Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dx7...should I buy it..

I am new to the hobby and was set on a dx6i but was reading that if I ever take up gas/nitro I would need, or highly recommended, 7 channels....

So, I did some digging and found a dx7 (not dx7s) for sale for 120.00...I am guessing I can get it for 100.00...it looks to be in great condition and still has original packaging. The seller has a dx8...that is his reason for selling.

(I am an "all or nothing" type personality...(probably a bad trait) but I don't want to buy a dx5 or even 6 and in 2 months buying a 7....)

Any thoughts are appreciated....
Flybiknight is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've used a Dx7 for the last 4 years fling nitro and electric helis and I love it enough that I dont plan on upgrading anytime soon, It does everything I need, So if you don't plan on using Telemetry like you can do with the Dx8 and some other radios then I'd say go for it !!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I currently have a DX7. I like it but I am noticing the lack of programming features. I would look into a Futaba 8FG Super. They have a lot more options for programing flybarless as well as a built in governor feature. Not to mention that you are really getting a 14 channel TX. The real question that you have to ask yourself is what kind of flying do you want to do? If you want to get into the more advanced stuff then you would benefit from the Futaba.
Trex 450 Sport FBL w/ SK540
Futaba 14SG
Vermillionx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your transmitter is just as important, if not more important, than your heli. Helicopters will come and go, but you'll keep the same transmitter, so buy the best you can afford. That way, you aren't selling your DX7 to buy a DX8 like the guy you're buying from.

$120 for a used DX7, not a bad deal.
Goblin 700 - RAWR!
txheli15 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

As folks have hinted, it's not strictly about the number of channels. For more advanced flying and for different kinds of models, some transmitters have features which you may find useful, such as large number of model memories, number and kinds of control mixes, back lit screen, 3-position vs. 2-position switches, faster frame rate, higher resolution controls, knob controls, SD card capability, telemetry, and more.

Clearly most if not all of the above will not matter to you for your first micro 4-channel heli, or whatever you end up getting, but as txheli15 said, at some point we tend to stop buying transmitters with each new heli and tend to stick with one, so it's nice if it is a capable one.

One the other hand, at first we often don't really know what we want and so trying something within budget is a good idea. You can typically sell it and upgrade to something better later once you know more about your own likes and needs.

Stuff to think about and confuse you more.... sorry!

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

i use that same radio.aside from it being a bit challenging to move around in and get where you want to go,i love it.the getting around part gets easier as you get used to it.with my 7 , i fly;trex450 pro,trex600le nitro and a trex550v2,3.0,and they all fly great.i'd get it if i were you!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

for me dx6i feels weird in my hands and feels like a toy. The DX7 is a very solid radio and was manufactured by JR. I would recommend the DX7 over the dx6i any day.
nartac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there

Just a little food for thought concerning a DX7 radio...
I have seven heli's programed into my DX7 - and all is well.

goblin 700

2 trex 450's

Trex 250

Raptor 30 - nitro

MCPX

NANO CPX

With that said, here are a few note worthy issues to keep in mind regarding Radio selection.

First off - The Spectrum DX7 uses DSM2 technology and therefore you will need dsm2 satallite receivers generally speaking. OR you can use DSMX satallite receivers if you ever own a heli with a flybarless control unit like Mikado V-Bar, for example, that has programing to help match radio and satallite receiver signals.

The Newer DX8 radio is DSMX signal technology and will require dsmx receivers

Next up - Flybarless helis using software features like "auto rotation recovery mode" require the switch on the radio used and labeled as the "Throttle Hold switch" to have 3 position.
The DX7's "throttle hold switch" has only two positions. This could be a problem for you down the road. ( maybe or maybe not - it all depends on your setups.)

Thirdly - The DX7 has a known "firmware issue" that you may or may not EVER have an issue with, but I learned about it the hard way, so let me give you the heads up on it.

What can happen is that if you get a low battery alarm and shut off power under certian circumstances it will cause a "glitch" in the radio and throw the radio into a powerfailure lock up. For example, what happened to mine was that the low battery alarm sounded while I had a cable connected from the back of the radio to my pc flight simulator. When I unplugged from the dsc port on the back of the DX7 radio it caused this (above mentioned) error alarm and locked up the radio.
Horizion hobby had to reset the radio to fix it, they said is was a known design flaw with the DX7 and therefore they would do the reset service for free (one time).
That was all good and well, and they even picked up the shipping cost, but what it also ment was that all seven of my heli configuration in the radio got wiped clean.

So if there was ever one super advantage to the new DX8 radio it is the removable flashdrive that allows you to store your configs. outside of the heli and make for sharing configs back and forth with other pilots super easy.

So there you have it, the DX7 is good and the DX8 is great!... (at only 3 to 4 times the cost of the deal that you are considering) LOL!!

I hope that this information is useful to you and other as well!
Wiz

Last edited by windwizard; 12-11-2012 at 08:34 PM..
windwizard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in