Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Please help, Play in main shaft what suppose to be there?

so got my new motor in and been trying to chase vibes every since it is lot better then with thebroken stock motor but still has vibes the carbon tail blades seemed to be causing lot of issue so i installed some MH green blades my father had they seem better they sure are lighter.

but i got to watching the main gear as it turns and it was just about to rub on the frame.. then i was able to push down on the gear and get it away from the frame, but the set collor on top is not keeping it from moving back up. it seems they must be a washer or something missing but the manual really dont show anything there.

anyone know what should be there?

again this is on top of the tail drive pulley is where it think it needs something.

another day worth work on this thing and its still not flyable.

found out from guy got it from it had been crashed before he got it and well i ended up having to replace all 4 of the main bade grip bearings

First picture is with the gear all way down where i think it needs to be. to be away from the frame.

2nd is with it all way up where is like right on the frame. and the tail belt pulleys.. this can't be right can it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 162.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	520114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 163.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	520115  

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just a few things to check the main bearings for play , main shaft could be bent
be sure the main gear is seated into the hub evenly. Some of the main gears tend to be
out of round. The stock dampers aren't the best. I run the lynx dampers with washers seems to tighten the head up. The collar on the main shaft may need to be adjusted and loctited. Nothing in between just bearings , shaft collar, tail drive gear ,
main gear hub and main gear. I use the lynx hub with bearing which helps absorb
some of the vibration flexing also running the lynx frame stiffner.
52Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Heli View Post
Just a few things to check the main bearings for play , main shaft could be bent
be sure the main gear is seated into the hub evenly. Some of the main gears tend to be
out of round. The stock dampers aren't the best. I run the lynx dampers with washers seems to tighten the head up. The collar on the main shaft may need to be adjusted and loctited. Nothing in between just bearings , shaft collar, tail drive gear ,
main gear hub and main gear. I use the lynx hub with bearing which helps absorb
some of the vibration flexing also running the lynx frame stiffner.
So your saying the main gear should be up all the way ? the top of the tail drive pully should be agaist the bottom main shaft bearing??? if so man that sure is close.

I already checked all 3 main shaft bearings. this is suppose to be a brand new main gear and main shaft.

I am uploading a video to youtube will post here when done its making some funny noises when i hold it and run it up not sure the belt is to loose. or what it is.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Shaft shouldn't have a gap on the bottom the gap should exist above the main
tail drive gear and middle bearing. Collar seems to be set wrong on the flat spot or
not on the flat spot at all probably above it.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Be sure the belt isn't twisted or damaged. I'll try to post a pic shortly. I've got
two of these crazy birds. One flies great one needs love at times.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should not be any up and down play in the main shaft since this can translate into pitch changes at the blades - less than desirable. You may need to shim between the belt gear and the upper bearing. Manual doesn't show this but they should always be viewed like the pirate code - more like guidelines. You have any 3mm shims?
BTW - I feel your frustration. Nothing like wanting to get a model in the air only to keep having to wait. Be patient - less than right can be dangerous.
numbermonkey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Should look like this Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2359.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	520127
Old 07-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Upper section Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2360.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	520131
Old 07-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hope the pic's help the gap is at the top above the tail gear and middle bearing.
Should only have a small gap at the bottom like in the pic's.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Heli View Post
Hope the pic's help the gap is at the top above the tail gear and middle bearing.
Should only have a small gap at the bottom like in the pic's.
hard to see what is making the gap stay there?
if i put a gap on mine ( gear all way down) then the set collor wont hold the gear down it will allow it to come up.. far as i know there was no washer on it. i try to use a reg washer but it was to wide and the bearing was rubbing on it.. I think I just found another issue i feel stupid now.. the tail drive belt got twisted so the tail blades were spinning wrong way, not sure how long it been like that Im super tired been up since 5am headed to bed I will mess with this thing after i get some sleep

thanks everyone for trying to help

Old 07-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

By any chance is your collar the wrong way around? Or maybe the flat spot is too high on your shaft. I have experienced the latter on the stock shafts once when replacing.
terryv83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

First, with or without mainshaft in place the main gear assembly with belt drive gear should fit quite snuggly between middle and bottom bearings. If not, either the frame has cracked or deformed so that middle and bottom bearings are more apart than normal.

Second, the mainshaft is limited from moving up/down by the shaft collar on the top bearing and the main gear hub on the middle bearing. The bottom bearing has NOTHING to do with limiting up/down play. Just install lower jesus bolt (never ever tight it more than just snug) and push entire assembly up against middle bearing than screw down top collar with it all the way down against top bearing. You can do this by pulling the mainshaft up while pushing the top collar down until no more slop then tighten top collar set screw. That way the mainshaft will not be able to move up or down. Forget about the placement of main gear against bottom bearing.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 03:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same thing, at least a mm gap made up a little shim, and that put the belt in a better position on the hub. Only noticed this gap after a crash so the frame must be deformed.But flying really nice at the moment best it is ever been. Peter
burkep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay, DoubleCH I did that, I pulled up on the main gear as i tighten the set collor. and there is no play. and it seem to work okay im just nervous cause there is only a hair space between the main gear and the frame at the front where the motor mount screw is on the left side. I don't know why but it seems its closer on the left side then on the right side of the frame.

Also the tail drive pulleys ( chrome rollors) seem to be right on top of the main gear while the gear is up into this spot.

I have no clue guys about the flat on the shaft I was told its a brand new main shaft and gear.
it just is sooo close.. maybe I can figure this thing out today I am more awake now.

The set collar is on the way I would think it goes the flange part is down..

Also this thing is strange sometimes the main shaft gear head is really free easy to turn but then other times its really hard to turn i do not get it.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

This thing has still got a shake to it. I do not get it. when yo barley spool it up just enough for motor to run it looks almost like the head button is out of round but soon you spool up a lil faster it looks okay. then this is while no blades are on. it seems to have a slight vibration i can see the motor power wires with batt wires moving some...

with blades on it MH carbon blades it is shaking really really bad. its trying to dance all over the ground. and the head block almost looks more out of round and the swash plate seems to me moving around more, i got to noticing lastnight the swash felt like it had some play in it.

again suppose to be brand new main shaft and main gear. he said he sent me a new main shaft but if he did I don't know what i did with it, its not in my 300x box I have.

this thing is really ticking me off. now I wish i had just stuck to saying Don't buy one they suck nothing but issues. this reminds me of my 130X issues

I have the trex 450 tail hub on it now too.

Oh and my father took the main blades off his 300x with MH frame, head everything and his vibrates as much as mine or even more and his has a AR7200BX and it flys great 12 flights so far on it

How straight are the e flite main shafts? mine suppose to be new but looks almost bent very slightly.. does vibrations make them bend?

my swash plate moved up and down a lil the chrome part moves up and down from the black part can someone check there stock swash to see if you have any play in urs or not thanks

Last edited by Epoweredrc; 07-06-2014 at 10:58 AM..
Old 07-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've never had a problem with the stock eflite main shafts, and have bought 4 or so new ones since getting my 300x.

I would go through the procedure of this in order to see where the vibes are coming from:

1. Remove the tail and main gear and main shaft assembly, start with JUST your motor
2. Spool up your motor and check for vibes (obviously should not be an issue, I know you just bought a new scorp).
3. Next, add in the main gear, hub and main shaft. DON'T add in the belt. Spool up, check for vibes.
4. Now, add the swash and check for vibes
5. Now add in the hub and follower arms. Make sure the follower arms are snug, I had some vibes arise from loose ones
6. Now add in blade grips and feathering shaft. (And obviously at this point all your linkages should be in place)

Now if the vibes have not shown itself yet, now work on the tail:

1. Add in the belt and JUST the tail case (obviously with the gear cross piece in) and test now. If there are vibes here it can also be the rubber pulley, I my bird flung out of control a few days ago and I found out it was caused by the pulley partially snapping. It wasn't completely ripped but there was a crack almost all the way through one area.
2. Now add in crank lever, pitch slider and tail hub without blades. Test again
3. Now add in tail and main blades

Hopefully by this point you have isolated the parts that are causing the vibes. My best guess is either your tail belt may be having problems or you've got a slightly bent feathering/spindle shaft or main shaft

Hope this helps!
Tuvison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks that is kinda how i did it, i left blades off and ran motor alone with no pinion then i added pinion and with motor pinion and tail belt main gear it all seems fine the issue really seems to be when i add the main blades and there both weigh the same there a set..

Well finally was able to hover the thing, I had to up my % in the radio 50% TC wasnt enough to barly get off the ground. think im up to 60 05 65 now and i was able to hover it but man it sure is shacky it reminds me of my old blade cp pro..

I think I need a new swash plate at least, if not a new main shaft and a new head hub if nothing else maybe..

had to replace one of the arms that comes off the bottom of the head to the swash cause the link was bent at the swash ball.

I really think lot of my vids are from the swash. but it doesn't seem as bad w/o main blades on

Old 07-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would recommend Finesse video on blade balancing

http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...lancing101.wmv

Just because they weigh the same, doesn't mean their COG is the same.
numbermonkey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbermonkey View Post
Would recommend Finesse video on blade balancing

http://video.helifreak.com/?subpath=...lancing101.wmv

Just because they weigh the same, doesn't mean their COG is the same.
True
Darn my prop blancer is to big for these small 300X blades what do you guys use?

Old 07-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pull the collar of the main shaft and roll it on something flat table etc.
If its bent pitch it. Check the tail belt since it was twisted if there are worn spots
at the edge could be damaged. If the shaft is bent be careful as it could damage
a new motor if not replaced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in