Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Counterbearing with scorpion motor

I have a counterbearing installed along with a scorpion 4025-1100 on a logo 500se. I have only test hovered it for 4 minutes. After the test flight, I noticed that the counterbearing and the pinion were super hot. I've read that this is expected with the scorpion motors. Do I need to be concerned or should I fly it without the CB?

Thanks
ToddM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My 4025 was very hot after the first few flights... It seems like after the belt and gear get broken in it started to cool down some... Make sure it's close to full power so the fan is spinning... But the pinion is connected to the core so it's always going to get hot, and the counter bearing might as a heat sink
michael88997 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael88997 View Post
My 4025 was very hot after the first few flights... It seems like after the belt and gear get broken in it started to cool down some... Make sure it's close to full power so the fan is spinning... But the pinion is connected to the core so it's always going to get hot, and the counter bearing might as a heat sink
Good point. Thanks for the feedback. My concern is the excessive heat will be transferred from the piņon to the main gear causing a melting situation.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ya I was concerned about that as well especially for when summer hits... I'm up to 10 flights and it seems to be running cooler than the first few and the pinion isn't to bad... I couldn't find any 100% silicon lube spray so I ended up buying some Teflon spray... I put that on my main and tail shaft and my main gear... It dries instantly but seems to work well, the only thing is it does dry white so my gear looks like its been in a snow storm lol... Not sure if that helped the temps or not
michael88997 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Believe me it is not that hot when it is running. Usually when the motor stops the cooling is off and it gets hot real quick. To be sure it is best to use IR thermometer and measure the temperature while it is running. How's your gear backlash btw ?
Old 12-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Make sure your pinion is not rubbing on the counter bearing, seen that happen more than once were the counter bearing moves up into the pinion..

Scorpion motors tend to run hot and in our 95f summers they run 160-170F. To help keep the main gear cool use a little plastic grease on the main, mollykote EM30L. Also lube the counter bearing with triflow.

Logo 480 / Logo 600sx / Logo 690 / Logo 700 / Vbar Control
Mentalic is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalic View Post
Make sure your pinion is not rubbing on the counter bearing, seen that happen more than once were the counter bearing moves up into the pinion..

Scorpion motors tend to run hot and in our 95f summers they run 160-170F. To help keep the main gear cool use a little plastic grease on the main, mollykote EM30L. Also lube the counter bearing with triflow.
I'll have to get an IR thermometer and give it a read once the weather cooperates here in the East. The backlash is set with a piece of plastic bag run through the main and the pinion as Finless and OICU812 suggested. A little backlash, but not much. I see I can pick up 1oz Molykote on ebay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in