Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default HDMI to Composite A/V converters?

Hi all,

I finally bought a new camera, it's the new Sony NEX 5R but it only has an HDMI output.

I need an HDMI to composite A/V converter so I can use the new camera as my FPV camera as well as for video and stills.

Are there any mini versions that will work?

Even it's not a mini version, I can hack it down for size and weight purposes but it would be nice if it were already a small unit to start with.

I'm currently using the Iftron 5.8ghz 500mw Mondo Stinger tx.

I would really appreciate any information on a good converter!!

Thanks in advance!

Joe.
Camera Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is what I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o03_s00_i00

Make sure to get a THIN and short mini-HDMI to mini-HDMI cable.

If you can't find that cable for cheap (and thin), get one for normal HDMI to mini-HDMI cable and get this one: http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Univers...I+to+Composite
Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Wesley,

I was looking at one like the one you just recommended that has the standard HDMI port and I found a thin 18 inch cable with a standard plug on one end and right angle mini plug on the other end. The cable is at this address: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200691669989

So I'll order the second one you recommended so I can use that short right angle cable. The right angle end will work great on my camera.

I found some info on hacking it to power it from my A/V tx (The output that's meant for a mini camera for FPV) and another hack for the output to the composite side of the converter by using a servo extension (Ground, video and audio). I'll only need one audio channel so I can hear my voltage monitor buzzer from the monitor.
I'm pretty fair at doing hacks and soldering so I'd prefer to hack it and mount the converter on the gimbal along with the A/V tx..

I've been working on all of the custom parts and was getting real close to needing this converter so the timing of your reply was perfect.

I still wasn't sure if it would work or not, I was going to just try it and see what happens.

Your reply lets me know that it WILL work so I'll definitely go ahead with the order.

Thank you so much for the response and info!!

BTW, how do you like the DJI Naza H GPS? I bought one for this machine for AP work

Thanks again!

Last edited by Camera Pilot; 01-20-2013 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: .
Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The HDMI thing doesn't seem to need power. I used it for a Contour+ and didn't need power at all and it just worked. I have a new Sony NEX 5R as well, but I haven't tried it with the HDMI box yet.

The DJI Naza H GPS was nice. It does exactly what it advertised, which is A. Hold and GPS Hold. Nothing more. Since I have a NAZA M for multicopter (which does a lot more), and also a Skookum GPS on order, DJI Naza H just seem... not enough functionality. So I sold it.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley888 View Post
The HDMI thing doesn't seem to need power. I used it for a Contour+ and didn't need power at all and it just worked. I have a new Sony NEX 5R as well, but I haven't tried it with the HDMI box yet.

The DJI Naza H GPS was nice. It does exactly what it advertised, which is A. Hold and GPS Hold. Nothing more. Since I have a NAZA M for multicopter (which does a lot more), and also a Skookum GPS on order, DJI Naza H just seem... not enough functionality. So I sold it.
I'm willing to bet the converter doesn't need external power because it's getting it's power from the HDMI connection from the camera. I just thought about it and most camera HDMI ports are for wired remote control of shutter and other functions as well as A/V output.
That's great, that means I'll only have to hack the output.

The Naza H will fit the bill for me just fine, all I need for it to do is hold position and altitude while I'm panning and tilting the camera for video and still shots. The rest of the time I'll do the flying. Been doing it with an HC3 SX for nearly a year so just position and altitude will be great! Most of my video is done while on the move by FPV and a spotter. Sometimes I go a little higher and just pan and tilt at the same time but it can be a handful if the heli is drifting with the wind, that's when I need the hold part. No need for waypoints for me. I always keep the heli well within site and tx range.
I'm glad to know you had good results with it (for what it was designed for anyway).

Thank you so much for the info and the response!!
Have a great day, Wesley!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in