Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Morphis opinions?

Anyone know anything about this kit? I like the idea of a gasser kit that uses mostly Align parts but has a direct drive belt tail (it uses either a Compass or a Mikado tail and a pulley on the mainshaft)
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Never heard of that one but always interested in new gassers. Can you share a link ?
Old 08-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
Never heard of that one but always interested in new gassers. Can you share a link ?
http://www.gasserheli.com/Morphis.php

Apparently it can use either a belt driven tail (which is of the Thunder Tiger / Compass / Mikado style that uses a belt pulley directly on the mainshaft) or an Align TT tail. It has holes drilled in the side frames to allow for either configuration. The belt driven tail uses a 25mm boom and is located slightly lower on the frame than the TT tail because it must be located inline with where the auto rotation gear is. It can use pretty much any belt tail unit that uses a 25mm boom and an XL belt.

As I like direct drive belt tails, but also like the idea of a gasser that uses commonly available Align parts this looks mighty appealing to me.

EDIT: I just noticed that their title picture up there is using a KDS Innova 700 head on it instead of an Align head for some reason (notice that the upper bolt is missing I had to do the same thing to put an Align FL head on my Innova 700 because there is a 0.5mm difference in the location of the bolt holes on the mainshaft)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	title_morphis.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	665760  
Old 08-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too have looked at that Morphis and interested, since it uses a commonly available parts. My JS helibug now is officially near death in service, parts are hard to source, the manufacturer doesn't reply email.

I did contact gassserheli once and inquire about the heli, his reply was quick and he did explain more than I expected.
whiskey29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2016, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey29 View Post
I too have looked at that Morphis and interested, since it uses a commonly available parts. My JS helibug now is officially near death in service, parts are hard to source, the manufacturer doesn't reply email.

I did contact gassserheli once and inquire about the heli, his reply was quick and he did explain more than I expected.
Looks like the frame set includes tail sideplates but not the clamps pulleys or bearings. In the pictures it looks like it's using Mikado tail clamps but there is no mention of that in the parts list. Also not mentioned is the belt idler pulleys but I expect it probably uses Mikado ones there too.

As mentioned before, it can also just use an Align TT boom mount and tail unit. I just wish you didn't have to pay for parts you won't need with the kit. If you are using a TT you won't need the pulley or tail sideplates and if you aren't using a lynx clutch you don't need those parts either.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Btw, somehow why do I feel that it would be a heavy setup with all that G10 slab. Its nice tho to have extra parts to go with any other option just in case if the parts become harder to source.
whiskey29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 06:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Stock Align nitro tank? It was a real pain for me with the swelling and pinching in the frame (in a Helix kit)
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

First red flag is that Ive never heard anyone mention this kit or gasserheli.com around here. Even a search turns up nothing. I'd like to hear from some of the expereinced guys like Carey, Raja, Doug, Tom if they know anything about it.

Second red flag - the product info page has some incorrect info. He claims that 61mm is a standard align 700 frame spacing.. but there are many different spacing and what he calls "47" is actually 57 and that's for the 700N DFC. The 57mm spacing parts seem to be easier to find than the old 61mm 700nitro pro parts.... especially the gears for the DFC.
(retracted with apologies for causing confusion - I should have double checked my numbers. 47mm is correct for the N DFC)

Same thing about the gears. He doesn't specify but it looks like a straight cut 115T maingear. Those are really hard to find and I had to hoard some for my Helix by ordering them in full gear sets. Tin is supposedly designing a new Helix based on the E DFC because of these parts issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey29 View Post
Btw, somehow why do I feel that it would be a heavy setup with all that G10 slab. Its nice tho to have extra parts to go with any other option just in case if the parts become harder to source.
Agreed. There is NO way this is building to the 5.5Kg (12lb) weight he claims with all that fiberglass unless he is flying it around Ansy-tized (inside joke for me & Raja) without a Canopy. Tin claimed you could hit 12lb on the HelixHeli conversion (which has lighter G10 frames) and I had a hard time doing that even with my special order carbon frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawiev View Post
Stock Align nitro tank? It was a real pain for me with the swelling and pinching in the frame (in a Helix kit)
Agreed!!! This is one of the biggest pains in the a$$ for the Helix. The fit gets so tight that the tank starts foaming like a washer on spin cycle. I had to route out my frames to mitigate it and if I flew it daily it would probably get so bad I would look at options to jury rig a dubro tank.

Last edited by rdlohr; 08-25-2016 at 08:49 AM..
jharkin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
First red flag is that Ive never heard anyone mention this kit or gasserheli.com around here. Even a search turns up nothing. I'd like to hear from some of the expereinced guys like Carey, Raja, Doug, Tom if they know anything about it.

Second red flag - the product info page has some incorrect info. He claims that 61mm is a standard align 700 frame spacing.. but there are many different spacing and what he calls "47" is actually 57 and that's for the 700N DFC. The 57mm spacing parts seem to be easier to find than the old 61mm 700nitro pro parts.... especially the gears for the DFC.

Same thing about the gears. He doesn't specify but it looks like a straight cut 115T maingear. Those are really hard to find and I had to hoard some for my Helix by ordering them in full gear sets. Tin is supposedly designing a new Helix based on the E DFC because of these parts issues.
As far as I know the 700E frame has always been 61mm, though that just changed with the 700X which has an upper frame that looks like it's somewhere around 32-40mm

The only 700N parts it seems to be using is the clutch bearing block and it says in the parts list that the 57mm version can be used with spacer plates (though I'm not sure if those are included)

I asked a few questions in email, supposedly there will be a slant pinion.

I agree about the Align tank, it would have been better to design it for a Dubro tank. I think I'll suggest that to him in email he seems pretty receptive to feedback.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
'd like to hear from some of the expereinced guys like Carey, Raja, Doug, Tom if they know anything about it.
before this post I'd not heard of it before. Looks like the URL has been around for at least 2 years though registered to Lorenzo De Angelis (Loz for short) and it appears his company is in Australia.

From the photo it appears to be built around a Trex 700 but may use parts from other models. Maybe Loz can post in here and answer your questions.

carey shurley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rather than a specific gasser conversion think of the Morphis as an adaptable gasser module that you can customize & personally tailor.

The Morphis will be available in kit & file format opening up a wide range of possible setup options & peace of mind with part & component availability.
Advanced Additive manufacturing will start to take a greater place in its component development.
Router & print services will start to be listed.
Parts replacement cost , parts availability ,shipping time, discontinuation of Specific models & lack of adaptation are key concerns that have been voiced by emails & taken into account.
In its current kit format the Morphis is specifically designed & tailored to run standard & blueprinted G290RC format engines without adverse effects to the air frame & performance, it is not only an ideal big bore kit but a solid reliable commercial base.

Weight questions
In its kit format with 2.5mm G10 frames, aluminum XL gear, 1mm aluminum tail boom, heavy duty servos, zenoah clutch & regulated 3 cell lipo my weight is hovering at 6.0kg with the can muffler you will be over 6.0kg with the Rjx muffler.

How to achieve 5.5Kg flying weight .
As stated on the web page 2mm composite frame components (carbon fibre) in addition to the following;
G240RC (standard muffler & air filter)
Standard align clutch stack system with Lynx gasser clutch
Bearing block HN7083 (plastic)
2mm carbon frames. One pinion alignment plate can be used for alignment whilst the opposite side is tightened, then omitted.
3dp XL tail gear & anti-rotation bracket,
0.5mm thick 25mm carbon fire tail boom
selected tail system

Please note this setup will only work effectively on a G240RC. Expect early component failure & undesirable vibration if the same setup is substituted with a G290RC.

Answers to additional question.

With the adaptation of a KDS head, the top hole on the main shaft is reamed a little, then a Jesus bolt fitted. No bolts are omitted. The emphasis is that compatible 12mm heads & swash plates such as RJX, KDS, 12mm scale mechanics & the new Align Tri blade head (ideal for commercial use) can all be adapted for use depending on personal preferences.

H7NB010XXT 47mm wide component is another option for use with two 7mm spacer plates if the current 61mm stock dries up. Plates are currently not supplied as stock is currently abundant for 61mm clutch blocks.

Trex 700 tank foaming issue.
This issue was also experienced & is due to a number of factors & not necessarily one. Heat ,vibration & tank deformation. To combat this issue the tank is installed on isolation frames creating an air gap & also dry storing the tank helps reduce the foaming issue. You can never eliminated it 100% as you would need to eliminate the engine but the isolation frames greatly help. You also have the option to install the tank directly into the frames without isolation frames if you are chasing grams & not worried about the foaming. A suggestion has been forwarded to have an alternative isolation frame for a Dubro tank.

The red flag remark in regards to component dimensions, please check your facts sir there are serious flaws in your allegations & knowledge base.

M1 spur gearing question.
Given all factors are equal; mass, material & physical dimensions, the spur gear is actually a stronger more efficient option than the helical gear in this scenario. This was debated & cross referenced .
Due to popular demand the helical option more than likely will start to be introduced.

My personal preference was to eliminated gearing completely & replace the pinion & main gear with a belt & pulley alternative.
However this concept started to raise concerns & confusion (red flags, yellow cards & the book thrown at you) as you would need to rethink & change your helicopter dynamics. It would involve flipping the blade grips 180 degrees due to reverse gyroscopic procession, reversing the collective, & tail dynamics. Another disadvantage is you would also loose the graphics on some blades & blade grip engravings.

As the name implies the Morphis is not a fixed or rigid concept.
You may contact me through the website for any additional information & future development suggestions.

Kind regards Loz.
heliloz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2016, 06:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliloz View Post
The red flag remark in regards to component dimensions, please check your facts sir there are serious flaws in your allegations & knowledge base.

Ok I double checked. I was wrong on the 47 vs. 57... I was using the boom mounts in the aligntrexstore catalog to check the dimensions and find part numbers that fit my frames (61mm). the blocks for the N-DFC mention a bunch of dimensions both 57 and 47. Looks like the 57 number is the size of the plastic block and the 47 is the size of the spacer.

So its an honest mistake and I'll retract it, don't get worked up.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'd like to hear from some of the expereinced guys like Carey, Raja, Doug, Tom if they know anything about it
Just saying, I am not one of these guys and i have heard of and looked into his stuff.Also i like to think i have a fair amount of experience.
ocr231 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocr231 View Post
Just saying, I am not one of these guys and i have heard of and looked into his stuff.Also i like to think i have a fair amount of experience.
Oh gosh... its not some official list. I was just thinking of people who post a lot and appear o be involved for a long time.

I think I'm gonna take a break from the fourum. Lately seems like you can't have an opinion on anything without somebody taking offence.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default jharkin

Yeah sorry,

I was not offended.I guess what i was trying to say did not come out that good.
ocr231 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Personally... I thought the names we're referenced to create a nice "average" gasser guy considering he listed two really smart guys and two real door knobs.... Me and Tom certainly know which side of the door our knobs are on!!!!

TRM Power - RC Racing Engines - - Blackout Mods Conversions - - VP Racing / Powermaster Fuels - - Gas-Powered-Helicopters.com
Doug Darby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Morphis kit

I decided to give this conversion a shot, it arrived pretty quickly considering it came from Australia, about 15 days. Haven't started build yet but will post more as I get into it.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameyp View Post
I decided to give this conversion a shot, it arrived pretty quickly considering it came from Australia, about 15 days. Haven't started build yet but will post more as I get into it.
Don't you like how well everything is shrink wrapped.

I'm build one myself. It a budget build so when I get the funds I build until I run out of parts. I'm waiting for Loz, to make the generator gears then will be putting a jewel generator on it too.

Good luck with you build
Jeff
Old 01-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I will be looking for a new heli build once finished the helibug build, I hope some build info happens
Neal
neale is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Double post
neale is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in