Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thunder Power 820 CD Problem

Hey guys, I just bought a new 820CD from my LHS, and I've been waiting to get the thing up and running. I just hooked it up, and when i go ahead and plug in just a NiMH battery, and start the charge cycle, I get the error that the battery voltage is too high. I have been trying everything for the past 3 hours, and i have no idea what could be causing this, and I'm hoping that someone has some kind of advice for me.

Thanks guys,
Cameron Frank
Awesome1994 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Make sure you have the correct number of cells selected. If it is a 7 cell NIMH then you have to have that selected along with the correct mAH of course.

Good luck

Wizzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have had the same problems and more with the charger on Nim and NiCad. I have decided to send mine back to tech. On storage charge it put over 2000MAH in a 3s 2250 battery. Sometimes it will not cut off and states battery voltage too high. At this point I have decided that something is either seriously wrong with the programming or the charger or both. So it is going back to get checked out. the batteries work fine on the 1010c charges.

To be fair, I want to give TP a chance to rectify and figure this out.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Response

Well it's been a few months since I've even logged into the site, but I thought that I would come back and check around. I completely forgot that I had posted this question, and I did figure out what was wrong with it.

Wizzard was correct in saying that it was the cells. I just hadn't gone through all of the steps that i should have when i was originally setting up the charger. Strangely enough, this charger doesn't seem to automatically detect the number of cells in the pack.

I did eventually get it all working again, and after about 6 months of use, the charger is still working beautifully. I have been using it basally daily, and i still haven't found any faults with the system.

Good job Thunder Power!!
Awesome1994 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The other day I charged my 2100 life rx pack and it did not stop at 7.2v it went up to 8.5 v for some reason. Well this resulted in the battery puffing up. I kept an eye on it and went to charge today and noticed the amperage would bounce back and forth up and down. It even spiked to 25 amps! This only happens on port 1 and only on the life setting I charged 3 or 4 lipos today with no issues. What is the problem and should I send it in?. Not to happy as I've only had this charger a week and was convinced by one of the guys at my lhs to go with this charger rather than the brand/model I was going to get. I would appreciate it if we could get this figured out.
gbiggs1986 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What firmware version is on your charger?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am wanting to say 4.3 but it doesn't matter I returned it today at my lhs in favor of the voltz 101k the product I went in to buy the first time. He talked me into the dual port because he doesn't like parallel charging. Well needless to say I used the voltz to single charge my life packs and parallel charge my 6s lipos without any issues. I would noit buy another thunder power charger no matter the cost. I have a video and pictures of this 20 amp per port charger peaking a 25 amps on a 2.1 charge rate. I also talked to bobby smith who owns rre models and he told me he had the exact same charger go up in smoke. I should have just went with the voltz in the first place. Thunder power makes great batteries but I would not trust their chargers.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yea, I understand. The over-amping bug is a firmware bug that does not affect all chargers. I had the same thing happen with one of my TP820CD chargers (I have two of them). I told TP about it and they exchanged it for a new one.

For others reading this thread...the 4.3 firmware has bugs in it. They'll be coming out with a new version really soon.

Also, I parallel charge 2 to 4 packs with my TP820CD and didn't have any problems because of parallel charging.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've heard from others that the 3.9 version is much better than 4.3. However this is a big issue to me and can no longer trust any thunder power charger. I was laughing at bobby smith (owner of rre models) when he was hesitant to even plug it in at his shop. I now understand why. On a second note I've been using the voltz 101k for the last 2 days on life, Lipo and to charge my deep cycle with zero issues. Thank you voltz for putting out a quality product that I can trust.

Tags
820cd, charger, dual, power, thunder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in