Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Hirobo Nitro Helicopters > Hirobo Electric Helicopters

Hirobo Electric Helicopters Hirobo Lepton EX, Quark and other Electric Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Lepton EX Vibrations. Advise needed.

Hello. I have recently finished my Lepton and am struggling with vibrations. I am running the Kora 15-14 with 21t pinion, mah blades balanced and 68mm balanced tail blades. I have been able to eliminate most vibrations on the ground but as soon as I go into a hover the vibration sets in. It is a high frequency vibration. I also noticed on spool down the vertical fin moves up and down a little making me think its in the head. I have oiled my dampers with silicone oil and checked all thrust bearings. I have also balanced the tail blades in the feild with small pieces of tape over and over again. I only tightened the belt untill it would not slip. I am starting to run out of ideas and would appreciate some advise.
Sorry guys I forgot to mention that I am running a 5S 3700.

Thanks everyone,

Nathan
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

High frequency vibrations are generally tail rotor related. So that's where I would start. Check:

Basic Balance Check: by removing the tail rotor assembly and use a High Point or Robart balancer.

Mechanical Check: by pulling the blade holders to make sure there is no free play. Twist to assure they mosve freely. I always oil my bearing with Triflow or similar light oil.

Blade Check: by verifying no blades are damaged and have a similar airfoil shape.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah - but the Lepton head is pretty high rpm
The Lepton dampers pinch the spindle very tightly
Many of us have had problems with this
Some of the Hirobo Lepton white blades are a contributing factor also

Gryphon field rep
Jafa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2007, 01:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

OK. Went down to the 19 t pinion with the 15-14 and 5s and vibes are gone. I think I was passing the rpm limit of the heli. Now all is good and I can confidently say Im a satisfied Lepton owner.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

t-rexm8 - what headspeed where you starting to get vibrations at? I'm basically interested in putting together a Lepton as well. so been looking at posts to see what problems people have encountered.

As basic add-ons, i understand that i'd probably need to buy

68 mm tailblades
new CF tail fin set to replace the stock plastic ones.

The setup i'm thinking is
Gyro & Rudder: G770 x DS3400G
Cyclics: 3xHS85BB or MG
Motor: Kora'15-12, 24T pinion
ESC: CC45HV
BEX: CC BECX 10 A
packs: FP 4S 25C 3700

I have two trex's and kinda used to HS of 3000+ rpms. I understand the Lepton has issues above 3000 rpm so i'm trying to get more info on it.

Appreciate the help, TIA,

Regards,

Rob
Picooz
Rush is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got vib problems above 2800 rpm. It comes and goes. One day yes, another one not. In fact it's more the HS the vibs appears that changes.

I think Hirobo is right about the 2600 rpm for 3D. i think 2800 is the upper reasonable limit.

Nicolas
rotodingo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had problems with my lepton anytime I exceeded 2900 rpm. At one point we tached my lepton at ~3200rpm. I also had +14 deg of pitch. Made for a real rocket ship. I fixed this problem by putting bungie cords on the landing gear to damp the vibrations. I have since changed pinions, reduced my headspeed and fixed my pitch range. I also switched to the Gaui Hurricane 550 landing gear. It was kinda fun to punch around but it wasn't much fun to fly. Now it is fun to fly and the flight times are much better.
prototype3a is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I get vibrations at 2600... I just oiled the dampers. Hopefully that will fix the problem and allow the spindle to move freely. Using Rotortech 430 mm CF blades and these balanced wo within 0.1 grams
Picooz
Rush is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in