Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to tell when you have a dead battery?

I finally connected up my align 3s1p 11.v 2100mAH pack to my TP1010 Charger. HGowever, when i tried to charge, it gave me a wrong polarity error. Before ti gives me the error shows a voltage of 4.4V. Does this mean that my pack is dead because my voltage is too low? I have checked the polarity on my Output cabels and they all match up.
thePreacher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do you have a multimeter? Is the total pack voltage 4.4V or is that a single cell?

Can you charge other packs?

What software version is loaded on your TP1010C?

How did the pack get down to 4.4V Was it sitting on a shelf for a year or was it accidentally discharged?

Assuming you had an accidental over-discharge, you can try setting the Lipo charge current to 0.3A, Increase the "init timeout" to 15 minutes and supervise the charge. If that fails, try Nimh / nicad mode at 0.3 - 0.5A until you get to 10V, then switch back to Lipo mode.
marchambault is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The 4.4 V is what shows up at the beginning of the charge cycle. This should be a 3 cell pack with 11.1 V total. The version of the software is 2.0 for the tp1010c. I do not have other packs avaible (this is my first time into RC Helis and my first pack).

As for how it got discharged, i didnt charge it the first time i opened it from the package (which i think is the cause of all the problems ) and used it for a few test runs.

I tried running at .3As no luck ill try it in NiCad/Mh mode next

btw thanks again for all your help marcham ! you are defintely a great asset to this forum
Old 08-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Let us know how that goes for you. Don't leave that pack unattented while charging.

Normally, we don't discharge a lipo below 11V (3 cell) ... if you can recover it without incident, it will have suffered a permanent capacity loss.

New packs never show up charged, they should be at 3.80 - 3.85 Volts per cell otherwise should be returned to the retailer.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do you have a balancer attached to the charger?
Old 08-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well its been confirmed the pack is dead ! htanks however for all the advice, as for the balancer yes i tried to connect it up but the problem was that the pack was an align pack and the balancer was a thunderpower connector so i needed some creative wiring which obviously didnt work either. In the end i picked up a new flight power 3s1p 2170 pack and its worked great. I did my initial charge 2 days ago, and it has worked great, im now up and flying and recharging again after my flight.

I do have a questoin tho about hte inital charge time out. I had it back on the original 5 minutes, but it has timed out twice. Should i just keep the intial charge time out as high as possible? to avoid needed to press the charge button over?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

5 min is more than enough ... my packs stay at initial charge for about 5 seconds, once the charger confirms the pack is above 3.5V / cell then the charge continues normally.

If you are hitting the initial charge problem it's because you are over discharging your packs. When you land, you should have about 3.7 volts per cell (10.8-11 Volts total).

As for the TP balancer to Align adapters, you have a few options:

http://www.readyheli.com/K10383A_TP_..._p/k10383a.htm

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5096

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in