Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
A true 450 swings 325mm blades, the warp will actually swing 360mm to 400mm, so nearly getting to the size of a 500!

I like, I like.......
It was my impression that this model would swing 370s, max. I may be mistaken?
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know it's not a 600 or even a 500 but, if I'm reading correctly, the thing won't have tail authority in an auto. Doesn't look like it has much of a vert stab to give it weather vane effect so, how would one auto this heli?

John

Compass Knight 600E, Blade 450, Blade 400, Blade SR, Blade mCPx, Blade 120, Blade mSR, Blade mCX, Blade CX2
johnopsec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnopsec View Post
I know it's not a 600 or even a 500 but, if I'm reading correctly, the thing won't have tail authority in an auto. Doesn't look like it has much of a vert stab to give it weather vane effect so, how would one auto this heli?
I would imagine, thottle hold and then go pick it up where ever it went down.

It is pretty small. Most helis that size really don't auto very well.

With an SK-720 I would just flip the auto-level on and just feather it on the way down.

This is an interesting little machine. I'm curious how much of this design will eventually work its way up the chain.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
A true 450 swings 325mm blades, the warp will actually swing 360mm to 400mm, so nearly getting to the size of a 500!

I like, I like.......
I dont see any reason it wont fly on 325s allso.
Its lighter and can suport higher headspeeds then a Trex 450 so 325 blades should not be a problem.
Exo 500
Mr.Andersen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
I would imagine, thottle hold and then go pick it up where ever it went down.

It is pretty small. Most helis that size really don't auto very well.

With an SK-720 I would just flip the auto-level on and just feather it on the way down.

This is an interesting little machine. I'm curious how much of this design will eventually work its way up the chain.
This is a big misconception, usually from those who never owned an old school non-driven tail helicopter. You CAN steer one during an auto. All those who are complaining about the lack of a driven tail, do you do aerobatic autos with your 450? If not, I really don't see the need but, from looking at it, it should be an easy upgrade part if they decide to offer one.
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
This is a big misconception, usually from those who never owned an old school non-driven tail helicopter. You CAN steer one during an auto.
Do tell how you have tail authority when the tail is not being driven to spin? Teach us Grand Pu-bah of Old-School.

John

Compass Knight 600E, Blade 450, Blade 400, Blade SR, Blade mCPx, Blade 120, Blade mSR, Blade mCX, Blade CX2
Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could save the sarcasm. You are correct, it does not look like there's much vertical fin and, naturally, you have no tail control. But you can still steer, just as you can an aileron-only plank...the turn may look a little uncoordinated, but it's possible. If you're headed downwind, you're going to have to try and maintain a lot of forward ground speed...bank and turn into the wind before you run out of altitude. Sure, it's a compromise but if you're doing autos for fun, it's usually into the wind when you hit hold. I have only one helicopter left that's bigger than a 450 and like to practice "normal" autos. It's doable with a 450 but would be much easier with more margin for error with a non-driven tail. While the stopped tail blades will help weather vane, they may have to offer a vertical fin with more area if it's not enough...hopefully not to the point where it affects tail gyro performance.

And, like I mentioned earlier, it shouldn't be too much of a big deal for them to offer an option for a driven tail in the future...simple parts mod would be all that's necessary there.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

I should add that mkovalcson said that he would try to keep it level, and cushion the impact with collective. I'd think it would be more effective to maintain some forward motion until the flare. I've never tried to do a totally vertical auto with a 450, or a larger helicopter for that matter, but I suspect a 450 will hit hard. He also said "most helis that size really don't auto very well." I can't argue with that but most helicopters this size also have a driven tail. Makes sense to do away with the driven tail?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my post regarding autos, I specifically noted "no tail authority". In your post, you said it could be done and that it was a "misconception" by those who have never owned "old-school" helicopters with non-driven tails.

I've owned plenty of helicopters that had non-driven tails. I also know that none of them have any form of tail authority in an auto.

I know how to fly a heli like a plank too but, without a nice BIG tail fin to help with weather-vane effect on the tail, I might be able to steer the flight path of the heli flying it like a plank but I'm not going to be able to predictably point the nose. There is much more likelihood of carnage when the heli meets the ground as a result of unintended and undesired lateral momentum causing a dynamic roll-over.

Give me tail authority and I will yaw the helicopter to convert that that lateral momentum to fore-aft momentum and the skids will simply slide to a stop instead of grabbing the ground and rolling the heli over.

In a full-size (REAL) heli, the complete loss of tail rotor (or even NOTAR control) can be compensated for by using transmission drag to yaw the helicopter. We can't do that with one-way bearings though.

I do realize that this is a 450. If I lose drive power during flight, I want the BEST chance possible of setting the helicopter down in as close to "controlled flight" as possible though, even if it is a small helicopter.

John

Old 01-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

I like, I like.......
I'm pretty sure this heli is made for 325-370mm, not 400mm... if you want that just get the Atom 500.
RCHO Flying Field, Knightdale NC
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnopsec View Post
It's a prototype...I assume they'll test it's ability to auto. In the end, they may have to increase the fin size or give it a driven tail...who knows? You asked how one would auto this helicopter. I stated it can be done. Maybe you're not one of them (and I didn't even direct my post towards you), but there are a few people who think you HAVE to have a driven tail to auto.

Think about this...if you lose power and the approach is crosswind back to your landing spot, how much rpm is this going to rob when your gyro tries to keep the tail straight? I figure you're going to have to increase your descent rate to maintain rpm quite a bit, possibly ending up in a worse situation. Anyway, enough chair flying for me! I'm just waiting here impatiently for this little guy to hit the market so I can buy one because I love the design!

For me, I can't see a 450 if it's too far away so I just fly low and close and away from myself...any failure and it's going in the dirt before I could save it so, driven tail or not, it won't matter to me. But practicing autos would be a lot more fun if the tail was not.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

I want this heli to come out all ready lol I need a new heli to build
Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverse View Post
The anti rotation bracket is very TDR-esque, the rest of it just looks German.
Look at the SJM325

Exactly the same, German, design cues.
Sure, there are similarities, but there are between all helis.

You mean from the time we saw the solidworks drawing until it was prototyped.
I'd suggest the drawing we saw was the final layup and has been on the drawing board for a while.
this thing is fugly lol what the hell is this a bunch of scrap parts made into a heli
kachur779 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah I'm gonna have to agree with the butt ugly guys on that heli.what is that conected to the tail fin?
TEAM KBDD
fenderstrat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderstrat View Post
what is that conected to the tail fin?
Ambilical Cord
Old 01-31-2012, 03:07 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

looks like old school 72mhz ant.
AMA#948801
Elios000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 03:47 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderstrat View Post
what is that conected to the tail fin?
Thats the auto belt tensioning device, quite forward thinking.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Look what i found

looks MUCH better with blades on it
AMA#948801
Elios000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #79 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Looks like the microbeast and maybe if that front plate will prevent the servos from being removed easily ?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe it would be easier to remove the entire servo mounting plate? Looks GREAT!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in