Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 250 with GPro

I recently bought a FBL Trex 250. When I bought it, the listing saif it had a 3GXMRS, but when I received it, it had a Gpro and a separate receiver. I set it up last week but finally had a chance to try it out in the driveway today. The collective is really weird. At the same stick position, sometimes the collective pops pretty good and sometimes it doesn't. I seems like it is delayed. Also, as far as the gains go, do I change tail gain in the radio or in the GPro? Do I ever change anything in the radio or should everything be done in the Gpro?
jasonrusso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have u weighee your heli? If its heavy that could explain the delayed collective response. 300g including battery is a good target weight.

Mine is at 350g. A little bit heavy but has plenty of pop. Even went falling fast i can stop the heli almost instsntly with alot of collective.

Other than that is there any binding?

Im not familiar with the gpro. But most gyros u can use s channel to control tail gain from the radio. U will need to check the gpro manual.
bazsound is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2017, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok i looked it up. There maybe be expo in the grop for cyclic. Set it to 0.

Use your radio for cyclic expo. Thats whst i found i. Another thread.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'll weigh it later. I'd much rather use the radio for gain and expo. I'll try to set everything to zero in the GPro and use the radio. It's easier to keep track of.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know Gpro that well but there are some similarities to 3GX5.0.The default settings in 3GX5.0 have some cyclic expo, so I took all the cyclic expo out on my 250 Pro dfc setup.

My 250 with stock motor/esc etc, does not have the snap of either TREX 150 or 450L 6S. I think it is a power to weight thing with the 250 design.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its maybe a charactersistic of those gyros, i heard some people say similiar things with the vbar, though i think mine has plenty of pop. bang the collective and it shoots off.

ive heard some people say that in vbar paddle simulation helps or a little bit of expo to increase sensitivity around mid stick .
Old 01-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound View Post
Have u weighee your heli? If its heavy that could explain the delayed collective response. 300g including battery is a good target weight.

Mine is at 350g. A little bit heavy but has plenty of pop. Even went falling fast i can stop the heli almost instsntly with alot of collective.
How is that possible? Mine is 370g with the battery. There is nothing to remove to drop the weight. It's also flybarless so the head is very simple. It came with the GPRO and an Align R6GF receiver which combined weigh 15g. The 3GXmrs which it was supposed to have weighs 10g.

I redid my setup and found that the positive collective wasn't registering properly. I think I had the endpoints set wrong. It wasn't way off but I fixed it anyway. I flew it in the driveway and it felt better but still felt a bit sluggish when compared to my flybared with a scorpion motor. Maybe that's difference. There is less power, but I thought the more efficient FBL would make up for it. The Align is a 3600kV and the Scorpion is a 3900kV. Either way, I have to get it out to a field to try it out. I am too nervous in my driveway, there is a house, trees, a wall, plow sticks, etc.

This is my only electric heli. All the others are nitro so maybe I am doing something wrong. I set the ESC to governor mode and have the throttle curve at a flat 85%. Isn't this the way to get the governor to lock in?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrusso View Post
How is that possible? Mine is 370g with the battery. There is nothing to remove to drop the weight. It's also flybarless so the head is very simple. It came with the GPRO and an Align R6GF receiver which combined weigh 15g. The 3GXmrs which it was supposed to have weighs 10g.

I redid my setup and found that the positive collective wasn't registering properly. I think I had the endpoints set wrong. It wasn't way off but I fixed it anyway. I flew it in the driveway and it felt better but still felt a bit sluggish when compared to my flybared with a scorpion motor. Maybe that's difference. There is less power, but I thought the more efficient FBL would make up for it. The Align is a 3600kV and the Scorpion is a 3900kV. Either way, I have to get it out to a field to try it out. I am too nervous in my driveway, there is a house, trees, a wall, plow sticks, etc.

This is my only electric heli. All the others are nitro so maybe I am doing something wrong. I set the ESC to governor mode and have the throttle curve at a flat 85%. Isn't this the way to get the governor to lock in?
Stock ESC? Governor is crap. Use flat curves and give it high HS. Or dump stock esc and fit a Talon 15 it has a decent gov and BEC.
TREX 250 PRO,Talon15, GPRO, Zeal ----TREX 500 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ----2x TREX 450PRO V2, 1xGPRO&1xBRAIN, Talon35, RAIL , Zeal ---- SAVOX powered TREX500 EFL in Roban scale UH1-N ---- TREX 600 EFL PRO, GPRO, RAILS ---- DX9 ----
TR450ZS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2017, 12:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

370g!! wow that is heavy.

Yes its got an FBL head so theres not much room to shave weight of but yes it can be done, 250 is known to have heavy disc loading which will make it feel sluggish and heavy in the air.

Ive never flown a flybared heli but have read that there is something the flybar does that makes them feel a little more responsive. Something about acceleration. The vbar has paddle simulation which emulates that but i never liked it.

My 250 is lighter than yours by 20g and while it feels heavy it has plenty of pop unless its falling out the air fast.

Talon 15 esc saves a bit of weight its my next upgrade from the copterx esc im using.

The only other areas to save weight is the servos, canopy. Trimming wires. Also running a satalite reciever instead of a seperate reciever. My lemon RX only weighs 3.5g.

The scorpian mtor is probably making your FB heli more responsive aswell, when you get the headspeed up the become rockets. Mine at 100% flat curve is a bit of a handfull with 3400kv motor.

But they still benifit from trying to get the weight down.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe I'll try to turn the governor off and run a 100-85-100 throttle in idle up. Whqtc should I set the motor timing to? I have it on mid-timing now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Maybe I'll try to turn the governor off and run a 100-85-100 throttle in idle up. Whqtc should I set the motor timing to? I have it on mid-timing now.

motor timing im not to sure on. I think it depends on the mtor your running how many poles it has.

I have mine running high but thats with a copterx esc and copterx motor. it seems to run fine on mine. Again i dont know much about it. But high timing may gain you headpseed?

How much pitch are you running?? I have mine running about 12 degrees, and find it a bit soft. previously had it running 14 it was a rocket but tended to shake under heavy collective load.

Im considering going back to 14.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have it set at +/- 12. Maybe I can crank that up as well. I have lots of room left in the setup.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have it set at +/- 12. Maybe I can crank that up as well. I have lots of room left in the setup.

I searched alot about 250 pitch and alot of people said 10 was plenty.... I think i would struggle to do flips with 10 degrees of pitch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in