Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thank you all for the kind words, I really do appreciate it. I consider this payback time for me, a lot of people helped me here as well when I started this superb hobby, and I learned a lot, included some knowledge of Shakespeare’s language, which I needed badly.

To be honest, I couldn’t decide where to post all this in the beginning, the Futaba or Spektrum subforum didn’t seem the best place, as the post is about both these systems and more. Silently hoping that this info won’t be lost, the sticky suggestion is very nice to hear, and I hope to add more graphs in the future, as more people at our local club will be prepared without a doubt to let me measure their Multiplex, Aurora, dual ACT S3D (2 x 100 mW!) and other brands of transmitters or plug in modules.

Back to business, and as promised, a graph of a Spektrum DX8 in DSMX mode, at normal power. The system will now switch between 23 randomly selected channels all the time, instead of using only two channels in DSM2 mode, so after a very short while we get this picture on the analyzer screen when it’s set to memorize max values:

The peaks measure around -10 dbm or 0,1 mW, exactly the same as in DSM2 mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9_DX8_normal_DSMXmode_klein.png
Views:	1387
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	259714  
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very nice write-up Redbird. While it's a lot to take in (I would imagine it's somewhat indecipherable for non-electronics backgrounded people), it's very honest and very un-biased, which is pretty tough to do. Like you said in the beginning, there will be the fanboys who like to use the info about their system to magnify just how great it is, but that's to be expected. In reality, they're all very, VERY good and solid systems and the problems people have are typically related to user error or power supply system on the individual models themselves. It's a truly rare case when it's 100% the radio's fault, so it's funny to see some of the animosity on both sides of the fence.

Anways, the best antenna position is roughly 90* to the surface you are modulating to. Very little of the signal come straight out of the tip of the antenna, so it's best to bend it off to one side. You can leave it at a bit of an angle if you'd like, but the majority of your flying should be done as cloe to perpendicular to the antenna as possible to ensure maximum signal strength.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Interesting, Raf. It gives me an impression that S FHSS uses narrower channels compared to F. Could this explain why my DX8 goes through its stock NiMH battery pack 2-2.5 times slower than the 8FG?

Would the wider channels (more energy pumped in the air) have any bearing on the maximum range, or it's just a plain and pure waste of radio energy, defined by the SS algorithm in use? The peak power is exactly the same...
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
jperkosk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

We are working on sticking this somewhere. GREAT POST! It's just where to stick it. I proposed my tech forum but what do you all think?

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
We are working on sticking this somewhere. GREAT POST! It's just where to stick it. I proposed my tech forum but what do you all think?

Bob
(chanting) sticky..sticky..sticky!! I think the tech forum is a perfect spot for the post.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

So be it!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice post. So that nobody gets confused, there are a couple of typos (or probably font symbol issues) here:

"The formulae to calculate x [dbm] as a function of P [Watt] is:
x= 10log10(1000P) or x = 10log10P + 30

And the formulae to calculate P [Watt] as a function of x [dbm] is:
P = 10(x/10)/1000 or P = 10(x-30)/10"

The first formula should be
x = 10logP + 30, where "log" is the base 10 logarithm
The second should be
P = 10 ^ [ (x-30)/10 ], where "^" is read "raised to the power of"
Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks,
A basic lesson on how to set up the transmitter antenna was sorely needed. And I really enjoyed the explanations of the different signal patterns.
I learn a lot on this form.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #29 (permalink)
Formerly BarnStormer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in