Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Melted my Paraboard

So I'm plugging in my batteries (three 6s lipos) to run a storage discharge on them. As I'm plugging them in, I see a little puff of smoke and smell something burning. Turns out the insulation & the copper "tracks", on my paraboard melted.

I had just finished charging a 3300mAh batt at 6.6amps and forgot to put it back up to 30amps. Would that have caused the paraboard to fry as I plugged in all three batts?

Any suggestions on what might have happened? How can I prevent it from happening again?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paraboard.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	306135  

Last edited by hidiver808; 04-08-2012 at 10:42 PM..
hidiver808 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Usually this is because of plugging in backwards on one of the batteries (either the main lead or the parallel lead). Was the parallel board plugged in to the charger at the time? If it wasn't then the plugs could touch each other and short. There is a more expensive parallel board that will help prevent this things from happening, I ended up getting one of these after burning several wire leads and melting connectors (all my fault):

http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-mul...xh-t-plug.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidiver808 View Post
So I'm plugging in my batteries (three 6s lipos) to run a storage discharge on them. As I'm plugging them in, I see a little puff of smoke and smell something burning. Turns out the insulation & the copper "tracks", on my paraboard melted.

I had just finished charging a 3300mAh batt at 6.6amps and forgot to put it back up to 30amps. Would that have caused the paraboard to fry as I plugged in all three batts?

Any suggestions on what might have happened? How can I prevent it from happening again?
dtabuenc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If only one or two traces are melted, you may be able to repair with jumper wires.

The board from Progressive looks nice, but is a bit pricey.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I only got it after accidentally burning out a few batteries/boards. If you are careful enough I guess you don't need it, but I thought I was careful, but guess just not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastflyer20 View Post
If only one or two traces are melted, you may be able to repair with jumper wires.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

+1 one on getting the MPA.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtabuenc View Post
Usually this is because of plugging in backwards on one of the batteries (either the main lead or the parallel lead). Was the parallel board plugged in to the charger at the time? If it wasn't then the plugs could touch each other and short. There is a more expensive parallel board that will help prevent this things from happening, I ended up getting one of these after burning several wire leads and melting connectors (all my fault):

http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-mul...xh-t-plug.html
The charger (iCharger 3010B) and the paralboard have been permanently plugged together since the day I bought them. I have a little charging station setup and they dont ever come apart. As for the batteries....both the main lead and the balance connectors are keyed so I couldn't have put them in the wrong way. Prior to this incident I've charged my batts on dozens of occasions without incident.

The only thing I did differently was that the charger was setup to charge the 3300mAh batt that I had just finished charging (set to 6.6amps). Normally, when I charge or discharge all three batts, I crank up the amps to the full 30amps. Could that have been the problem?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastflyer20 View Post

Any suggestion on what gauge the wire jumpers would need to be? Solid copper or braided?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Since they are balance leads, you can use a multi-strand wire from a dead servo or servo extension. I was able to easily solder to the copper foil on the two ends.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome! Thanks for the help I'll give it a try.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nah, shouldn't be a problem unless you are actually running the charger while doing this. It could just have been a short inside the board or something. One other incident I had myself is plugging in a 6s battery with a 3s accidentally, or maybe even plugging a fully charged battery with a discharged one (to a lesser extent). Other than that, if it can't be explained another way I'd be careful to keep using that board. Maybe send it in or get a new one.

Quote:
The charger (iCharger 3010B) and the paralboard have been permanently plugged together since the day I bought them. I have a little charging station setup and they dont ever come apart. As for the batteries....both the main lead and the balance connectors are keyed so I couldn't have put them in the wrong way. Prior to this incident I've charged my batts on dozens of occasions without incident.

The only thing I did differently was that the charger was setup to charge the 3300mAh batt that I had just finished charging (set to 6.6amps). Normally, when I charge or discharge all three batts, I crank up the amps to the full 30amps. Could that have been the problem?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would plan on getting a new board. You can keep the one you have and repair it but you'll need to find the source of the failure before you use it again. The last thing you want to do is repair it only to find that you didn't resolve the problem.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1

It's not worth the risk of burning down your house to save $20.
don-dadda is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I still have not determined the original problem. I have already repaired the break by soldering wires on but what’s to prevent it from happening again? I figure those little copper strips will act like a fuse and burn up again if there is still a problem.

I did a VERY closely monitored charge last night and then a discharge. The repair seems to have worked and the charge/discharge went without incident. I still don't trust it though.

Good news, Dale from EPBuddy says they will be coming out with a board with fuses on it. I hope it will be cheaper than the one suggested by a previous post.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
That’s exactly what I was thinking. I still have not determined the original problem. I have already repaired the break by soldering wires on but what’s to prevent it from happening again? I figure those little copper strips will act like a fuse and burn up again if there is still a problem.

I did a VERY closely monitored charge last night and then a discharge. The repair seems to have worked and the charge/discharge went without incident. I still don't trust it though.

Good news, Dale from EPBuddy says they will be coming out with a board with fuses on it. I hope it will be cheaper than the one suggested by a previous post.
Oh that is good news! competition is a great thing sometimes!

I love my Paraboard but do wish it would do sustained 40A like the FMA and have fuses at all points.

CeeveeSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Quote:

If you get a chance look at the MPA board up close, I don't really see how anyone could make this board any cheaper.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicD View Post
If you get a chance look at the MPA board up close, I don't really see how anyone could make this board any cheaper.

Oh I agree with you...it’s a great looking board. I'm sure its worth every penny but I'm a cop...I have to live off of peanuts and spend money wisely. I see nothing wrong with comparison shopping. If the board from EPBuddy isn't better or significantly cheaper, I will end up splurging on the MPA board.

It will be worth the peace of mind.

The other problem is that I only see it in a T plug. I use XT60 plugs.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Use little adapters to convert the plugs from the board to whatever different plugs you use. I also find it useful to have extenders for the balancer leads, this makes it easier to plug in a lot of batteries without getting all crowded and keeping the wires neat.

Quote:
Oh I agree with you...it’s a great looking board. I'm sure its worth every penny but I'm a cop...I have to live off of peanuts and spend money wisely. I see nothing wrong with comparison shopping. If the board from EPBuddy isn't better or significantly cheaper, I will end up splurging on the MPA board.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

Yup adapters.. I always get deans on the boards but have adapters to everything basically

CeeveeSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I spent a couple hour the other day twisting up my adaptors.

Well worth the time.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I did this to my hobbyking board, the right side burnt but i still use the left side with no problems (can only para charge 3 batteries now).

I wish the days lasted longer so i could spend more time in the air dreaming and making the dream come true!
southwind is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in