Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Curtis Youngblood autorotation class

This is a great video guys! Well worth watching.
Curtis Youngblood autorotation class (27 min 8 sec)
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree 100%!
Watched it earlier this past week but I didn't think about posting it.
Thanks for sharing it.
burgboyz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
This is a great video guys! Well worth watching.
Curtis Youngblood autorotation class - YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgboyz View Post
I agree 100%!
Watched it earlier this past week but I didn't think about posting it.
Thanks for sharing it.
If learning auto's I cannot recommend highly enough reading the "RC Flight School" forum, there is lots of information on autos there. (simple search).

Next is get a good sim. Auto' happen fast enough that you need to know what is happening before it happens. Lots of info available on tuning sims for autos. You want to make sim auto's HARD. Add lots of blade and drive train resistance you you have to work at keeping head speed high and have it bleed off quickly). Sims with best physics for auto practice I have found are RealFlight 6.5(or better), Heli-X, neXt then Phoenix (in that order).

One tip I had this weekend was:
In practicing auto's, practice the approach on normal power and listen. You should be able to get the rotor spinning faster than the motor is pushing it (it's called overspeeding). When you flare you will hear the motor pick up load again. If you can consistently get this overspeeding sound in the blades with the motor on. Landing with the motor off will be easy.
The Curtis Youngblood class video is excellent (worth the re-post).

I posted this in one of the threads a while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverinabout View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Electric 3D auto in a nutshell.

Pitch curve - ensure flying and hold pitch curves are linear (0,25,50,75,100).

An auto is a quick descent and land without the motor (OWB allows the blades to spin without the motor). The quick descent helps keep the blades spinning. Forward motion helps even more.

When descending, keep the rotor disc flat, but with negative collective (pushing DOWN). This keeps the blades spinning (Like blowing a fan). Keep forward momentum.

When near the ground pull back on the cyclic (nose-up). Do not change collective. This a flare. This stops the forward momentum, but increases blade speed. When no forward momentum. level the rotor disc off again for a straight descent.

Apply positive collective when very close to the ground to float down the last bit as the rotor slows.

Simple
This is a good concise explanation.

But, just to clarify, I fly with throttle on the left stick and elevator on the right. Im not totally clear which stick you refer to.

So, cyclic will be on my right stick (elevator?) with collective on my left (throttle) stick, yeah?
Cyclics is a combination of elevator and aileron. Mode 2, cyclics are on the right sitck, mode 1, elevator on left stick (forward/back), aileron on right stick (left/right). Throttle and collective are on the same stick (Mode 2, left. Mode 1, right).

So more Mode 2 (what I and most others here fly). Collective left, elevator right. Left stick slightly below mid point (-1 or -2 degrees collective) on descent, balance the disc with the right stick (ensure the heli has forward momentum). To flare, pull back on the right stick (elevator), nose goes up, DO NOT CHANGE COLLECTIVE YET (heli may even gain height as the forward momentum slows and rotor speed increases). Once all forward momentum gone (stationary in relation to ground), push right stick (elevator) forward to level heli again. Once heli level, then apply collective (push forward left stick) to float the last bit of descent (last couple of feet). Keep the heli balanced with cyclics (right stick).

Same again, but mode 1. Collective right, elevator left. Right stick slightly below mid point (-1 or -2 degrees collective) on descent, balance the disc with the left and right sticks (ensure the heli has forward momentum - elevator, left stick and rotor left/right balance - aileron, right stick). To flare, pull back on the left stick (elevator), nose goes up, DO NOT CHANGE COLLECTIVE YET (heli may even gain height as the forward momentum slows and rotor speed increases). Once all forward momentum gone (stationary in relation to ground), push left stick (elevator) forward to level heli again. Once heli level, then apply collective (push forward right stick) to float the last bit of descent (last couple of feet). Keep the heli balanced with cyclics (left stick forward back - elevator. right stick left/right - aileron).

Remember, all this happens very quickly faster than you can read either of the above scenarios aloud.

The real "tricks" to a good auto are:
  • Listen to blades to gauge rotor speed. This is the best guide you have.
  • Maintain head speed (forward speed, into wind, quick, but not too quick, even descent, leveled rotor disc). The smaller the heli, the faster the descent. (700's putter in, 450's look like a suicide run). Lose too much rotor speed close enough to the ground and it will be a crash, not an auto.
  • Control descent to where you want to land (sounds obvious, but the part I find most challenging during a quick descent - X5 is a small 550 class so it comes in a little hot).
  • Good flare to turn forward speed into rotor speed and stop heli relative to the ground (no sliding to prevent tipovers - unless deliberately trying to ski the heli to a stop). Remember, DO NOT ADD COLLECTIVE DURING FLARE. Flare should start at around 6 feet and may be quite abrupt (45 degrees or more for smaller helis is not uncommon). The smaler the heli, the more critical the timing due to speed and angle. This is the most nerve racking part of learning autos. Too late, you plow in. Too early, and you may not maintain enough rotor speed to float the landing. If you are early, sometimes maintaining (or slightly increasing) the negative collective till the last second may keep enough blade speed even in an extended vertical descent to allow a safe landing (try avoid this though). Too much negative collective can reduce head speed, so listen carefully for the rotor speed.
  • Only applying positive collective when almost on the ground (float the last few inches before running out of head speed (and lift)).

Hope this helps and makes it clearer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in