Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default fbl advice

hi all, could you guys help me out wich fbl controller would be easy to set up and use on my scale body trex 500, align or beastx as my only experience with fbl is a blade mcpX thanks.
jimhawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhawkdown View Post
hi all, could you guys help me out wich fbl controller would be easy to set up and use on my scale body trex 500, align or beastx as my only experience with fbl is a blade mcpX thanks.
IMO the easiest to use and setup is the VBar. The Mini VBar fits great on the 500 and flies awesome!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've never used either of them, but I have read countless threads/posts on this topic. From what I have read, there seems to be a *general* consensus (meaning majority view, but certainly not unanimous) that the beastx is simpler to setup and doesn't require the use of a computer. Obviously, there are/will be many that have a dissenting view. vbar users tend to vigorously debate the ease of setup, probably because (like most everything in life) once you get used to it, it doesn't seem so difficult anymore. But judging by the many posts on this topic, new FBL users *generally* tend to find the beastx a bit easier to deal with out of the box. That's certainly not a knock on vbar, because most would say (perhaps rightfully so) that vbar is currently the standard by which all FBL systems are measured.

Personally, I opted to go with the CGY750, and I found it ridiculously easy to setup. As I have posted elsewhere, with the default settings on the 5 built-in flight modes, the 750 is literally and legitimately fly-able right out of the box.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've only used Vbar so I can't speak for the others. All I can say is the Vbar is easy to setup and works as advertised.
Yes you need a computer to set it up and make some changes at the field but you can use the radio for flip/roll rate and gyro gain if you use the Express version. It does cost more to upgrade to the Pro version of firmware but IMO it's well worth it. With the Pro version you can utilize Bank switch and have 4 different setups which you can switch on the fly. Literally while flying you can go from a docile machine to crazy mad flying or anywhere in between with the flip of a switch.

Maybe not what you need for scale but it's a very nice option.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Excellent response so far guys very informative :>] thanks
Old 07-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will never rip the BeastX off of my 500. This same heil had a Vbar on it. I also have a SK720.

This is my practice heli, when I need to make a change or crash it, I never have to plug in the computer to reset pitch, tail, etc. Simple, vibration tolerant, least expensive and it flies fantastic, easy decision for me.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly both the BeastX and the V-Bar (four of each, although one V-Bar has yet to be installed).

As stated above, the BeastX does not require a computer to set up, so you can set it up in the field (although I would still prefer to do it at home on the bench). You can also make tuning changes to the BeastX in the field, without a programmer or a computer, which is nice.

I like both, and have flown both quite a bit now. I tend to like the V-Bar (with the 5.1 Pro software) better than the BeastX by just a bit, and the BeastX better than the V-Bar with 5.0 Express, by quite a bit.

The V-Bar, again with 5.1 Pro has more tuning parameters and can be more finely adjusted in different areas, so you can adjust the feel and performance of the helicopter a bit better. I was fortunate enough to receive some serious mentoring from a friend to get the parameters set right (it would have been very challenging to try to do this by myself).

BeastX is working on a new software load that will improve the capabilities of the MicroBeast. They have already added tail pre-compensation-I am not sure what all will be in the next release.

You can send/post your V-Bar files to others for duplication on their machines or analysis, if you have a problem.

This is another subject that is very highly subjective-both work and both work very, very well.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I fly Vbar, have set up Turnigy, 3G, 3Gx and now 2 beastx units

I can set up and get a vbar flying in less time than any of the rest. And in Express its pretty much set and fly, little tuning required, and certainly no lappy at the field once you are happy

I can get a vbar right, out of the box every time (90% tuned) and unless you are a serious 3D master type, you will not know the difference to it fully tweeked.

And I can get the heli flying in under 10 minutes.
Deet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Sk720 is also super easy to set up. I'd never messed with FBL before setting up my 500 with the sk720, and it was super easy. Basically, you center the servos at 90 degrees, level the swash at midstick, and the GUI based wizard takes you through all the setup step by step. Mine flew perfectly the first time out. With the sk720, you get the self leveling/bailout feature which is great. It's a little more expensive than the Vbar and definitely more than the BeastX, but the SL feature is worth it IMHO.

Blade mCX2, mSR, 120 SR, mCPx, 450 3D
T-REX 500 ESP FBL -- Skookum SK-720
tech10002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 05:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Beastx is more easier to setup.
kouasupra is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Im leaning towards the beast... any difference, apart from size in the micro and normal ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in