Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliSmith View Post
Ben,

Glad if I helped..

Iceman33,

I took the oppurtunity to green thread lock my top bearing in place because my top cap came off. I will clean up the shaft and use a very small amount when putting it back together. Maybe you will want to take both caps off?

P.S. My red threadlock failed even heating the bottom of the can a little and I had to really give it some shoulder to make it fail too. UGH! I red thread locked it BIG I think this will do it.
use a 450 main shaft that with the set ring to do this.it's easy.
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 08:18 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To do what Iceman33?

By the way I tried again and I heated the bottom of the can pretty good. The red thread lock on the top cap failed again. Disgusted with it I just put it back in the closet but I am thinking of CA now.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sounds like you need to find something to get a grip on the can. I remember sears craftsman had a comercial with a rubber strap that went around things. Then again, that rubber would probably slip. You could desolder your bullets and feed the wires through--that's probably what I would do. Bullets can be reused and if you are uncomfortable with that then they are easy to replace. The last thing you might try is drilling holes in the outer can so you have something to hold onto--but metal drill filings+motormagnets=bad so you'd have to be careful and clean the stuff out.
jared_of_atlanta is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Jared I believe I will just desolder the bullet connectors.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I dont think desoldering the bullets is going to work, because the bearing in that endcap can be a mother f'er to remove. Also, the housing is like paper thin and can damage easliy. I was pretty amazed how light it was.

Also, I highly recomend to not use the Align bearings. Why but the same inferior part back in? I just took a brand new Align motor, and installed a Ceramic bearing on the pinion side and a ABEC-3 on the other end. These bearings are available at Helidirect cheap! When I installed these bearing, WOW! It sounded like a whole different motor!
It spun so silently! by hand and under full power.

No doubt that align motor is stuborn motor to come apart.. but is well worth all the efforts.

Helismith, if you like, you can send me your motor and I will get it apart for you damage / marking free. Just pm me if needed.

Anthony
Aberdeen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just get a bigger hammer :-).
Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

mine came apart at the output end also, i was able to change both bearings without too much trouble. the hard part was getting the stator back in straight. and i did not desolder the bullets, the wires were long enough for me to get to the bearing for replacement
nickolai is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awsome, thanks so much. I can save a half decent motor by replacing the bearings with better ones. Great job on the Video Jarad !!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I now noticed a high pitch whine from my trex 500, which wasn't there before. It sound like its coming from the motor?

Is that the sound you hear when the motor bearings are starting to go bad. I only have 50-60 flights on my heli. I hope its not the bearings, but I can't think of any other source of the sound.

This motor does get pretty hot after a flight, I wonder if a nice heat sink would help save the bearings from the start.

Dan
dhoff002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

gear mesh might be tight.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jared I rebuilt a 600 motor and I wish I had seen your video first, it would have eliminated a lot of my frustration. I was curious though.do you locktite when you install the stator into the case. This is a source of failure on the 600 motor and when it lets go the wires spin and short out. Does anyone have a reccomendation what to use here? red locttite or epoxy. Thanks for the valuable information I think I will rebuild again to use better bearings.
newhelliguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Green or red loctite.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdeen View Post
Green or red loctite.
Yep.
I didn't rebuild my motor and fly it because I bought a scorpion so I can't tell you what worked for me but green or red (I think red is stronger) would do the trick.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoff002 View Post
I now noticed a high pitch whine from my trex 500, which wasn't there before. It sound like its coming from the motor?

Is that the sound you hear when the motor bearings are starting to go bad. I only have 50-60 flights on my heli. I hope its not the bearings, but I can't think of any other source of the sound.

This motor does get pretty hot after a flight, I wonder if a nice heat sink would help save the bearings from the start.

Dan
Mine started screaming after less than 100 flights. Once I noticed it, it got louder each flight. I checked it out and the bearings felt like they had sand in them (they didn't but they were far from silky). I may have had the pinion too tight, not sure, the main gear spun pretty freely.

I tried the bearing replacement. It didn't come apart AT ALL like the video. I had to torque on it so much to get the can apart that when I put it back together the motor was not the same. I bailed and got a Scorpion 1600KV. Love it. A lot quieter. Maybe a bit more punch.
raylepper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to hear. I think heating the threaded areas with a blowtorch for 10-15 seconds makes seperation easier.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_of_atlanta View Post
Sorry to hear. I think heating the threaded areas with a blowtorch for 10-15 seconds makes seperation easier.
Yeah, I eventually tried that, too. I did build a nice tool to get leverage on the ends. But I had distorted the can enough and the threads were so full of epoxy that reassembly was ugly. It's actually a fairly delicate assembly IMHO.
raylepper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2008, 06:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_of_atlanta View Post
I use a heat gun...... to keep it pretty.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:16 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

just replaced the bearings in my 500L but I still have the "scream"..................what gives?
grig is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #39 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Does Align warranty any of their motors ?

HELI-FREAK, You couldn't have picked a better place to land !
ChasHeliCop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by grig View Post
just replaced the bearings in my 500L but I still have the "scream"..................what gives?
Is it screaming "SCORPION!!!!!!"?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in