Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Kosmik 200/770 loss

My 5th flight on brand new 770 and had huge fire 2 mins into flight. Other then exterior damage (cant use again) from kosmik flames All the cells are good on the pulse 14s packs. Took bunch of photos of the battery and connectors. All solder connections are still in tact. Can't get kosmik log because its completely burned up. Maybe I can pull something from v bar log. Brand new so i updated to version 4 before maiden and was the crusing around tuning my tail. No hard moves just sport flying when it went up. All the nuts and bolts are still together so nothing shorted externally. Crushes me becuase this was my dream machine and I was very proud of the build and electronics used. I'm hoping I can save at least the v bar and sats. But its just about a total loss otherwise. Quantum 4530/450. Torq servos. Pulse14s 65c/5000 packs. Kosmik 200. 770 kit. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368738769849.jpg
Views:	1927
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	420745Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1593
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	420823

Last edited by The Dentman; 05-17-2013 at 10:33 AM..
The Dentman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

That is terrible write to Kontronic and stay on top of them
Kjones3181 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man that sucks, were you running the fuse that is supplied with it?

What modes were you running, what motor and were you running internal or external gov?

I was talking to a guy at a hobby shop in LA a couple of weeks ago who said he had seen a kosmik go up in a 7hv with results similar to yours.

I hope it doesn't become a common occurrence.
waxman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bye Bye Kosmik 200

That looks like it's just come back from a bomb crater.
Groucho_ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Bye Bye Kosmik 200

im interested.to know your setup as i am about.to put a.kosmik in my goblin.....i have two kosmiks running in other.heli.flawless....what version was your firmware.and software.etc..and what motor....gear ratio batteries head speed etc...were you using the.built in bec or.external.....cheers...

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2
Madryan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Re: Bye Bye Kosmik 200

Torq servos. Quantum 4530/450 stock pinion kosmik bec 8volts. Mode 4. 65-70-80 throttle curves. V bar log shows perfect health.. then just high vibes upon crash. But no voltage problems. Gonna email kontronik tonight and take the proper steps to see what they can do for me. Was version 4.0 my other kosmik was doing great on 3.2
In my 700. I've just recently gone all kontronik in my goblins (jive 100lv-500 kosmik 200 in my 700 and another kosmik 200 in my 770.. all have been recently purchased.) I'm hoping I can just get assistance for kosmik 200. It's a few thousand dollar loss on the other equipment but I understand they can't be financially liable for that.

Devastated emotionally but sooner I can a put this behind me the better. I still believe in kontronik.

Last edited by The Dentman; 05-16-2013 at 07:10 PM..
The Dentman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to see this Dentman. I can feel ur pain. This month I crashed twice. Once on my 770 which was pilot error n my 700 which was mechanical.
jchen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry for the loss, k will take care of you im sure, that is the first kontronik i ever seen burn since i toasted an old powerjazz with a scorpion 5020 motor that incidentally did not want to run on jive. Its strange this fire as since jive they have so many protective devices built in it seems impossible. For sure a quantum 4530 should not cause this so something went wrong somewhere, did you use internal bec or seperate pwr supply. Think im gonna stay with old software for sure. Ive been running 2 kosmiks on 14s and handwind motors previous software, so far so good
Old 05-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Kosmik 200/770 loss

Using internal kosmik bec.. I'm already working with kontronik so hopefully they can help. I think you can count on one hand the problems they've had with possblle fire's. I've got a lot of good pics and video I'm gonna send them to see if we can pinpoint cause. It bothered me to even post this accident but I wanted to report the incident. Only few people I've dealt with from kontronik have been magneto and Charles and both have been very supportive and helpful. Oh and jamin for helping with logs.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Holy shit!!! That is ridiculous.
Flooznie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow- I've never seen an ESC burn up so utterly completely like that- that must have been a very intense fire- one has to wonder what was fueling it in this manner.

Very sorry for your loss- that's a very tough spill to swallow- brand new VERY nice heli.

It almost sounds like the BEC was powering your VBar at least until the crash?
T-Rex 700 HV DFC w/VBar, Kosmik 200 & KDE700XF - My muscle heli
HFMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry for your loss - sounds like it was a sweet setup.

I've been switching my fleet over to Helijives, but I've never used an internal BEC, Kontronik or otherwise, on any machine bigger than a 500. After seeing your pics I never will - I don't care how great the BECs are supposed to be.

2S Lipo or LiFe ONLY for electronics; especially HV setups!

I've been using Gens Ace 1300 mAh Lipos for my HV setups - something to consider...

Goblin 500
silas3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So your lipos were fine? Looking at the photos I would say the lipos went off and burned everything above. You are SURE it was the Kontronik? So sorry for the loss of your heli.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Shocking to see those pics. I hope you get looked after.
Were you using the fuse with the esc?
Looks like a very rare Kontronik fiery failure. We all feel your pain!
rebeltrousers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 02:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
So your lipos were fine? Looking at the photos I would say the lipos went off and burned everything above. You are SURE it was the Kontronik? So sorry for the loss of your heli.
+1. Strange the overheating cut off protective function did not function to prevent it going up in flames.

Very sorry to see this. In my experience K are very good at looking after their customers.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dentman View Post
My 5th flight on brand new 770 and had huge fire 2 mins into flight. Other then exterior damage (cant use again) from kosmik flames All the cells are good on 14s packs. Took bunch of photos of the battery and connectors. All solder connections are still in tact. Can't get kosmik log because its completely burned up. Maybe I can pull something from v bar log. Brand new so i updated to version 4 before maiden and was the crusing around tuning my tail. No hard moves just sport flying when it went up. All the nuts and bolts are still together so nothing shorted externally. Crushes me becuase this was my dream machine and I was very proud of the build and electronics used. I'm hoping I can save at least the v bar and sats. But its just about a total loss otherwise. Quantum 4530/450. Torq servos. 14s 65c/5000 packs. Kosmik 200. 770 kit.
Hi Brian. this is devastating to see

I see you have had contact with the factory after I have been speaking with Daniel this morning.

Please can you send the Kosmik in to them so they can inspect this and see what they can find out. As you know the Kosmik has many built in protection features to stop this happening so they are keen to get this looked at. Hopefully they will be able too salvage enough to see what has gone on.

The dust covering the heli is also consistent with li-po fire isnt it? If you check over pics like this of lipo fires you will see this dust everywhere. Can you also supply info on the packs as Im sure this will also be relevant. There has been some serious heat there to do that damage to the Kosmik
At this point K need all the info you can supply with pics as well please and they will do their utmost to resolve this for you Brian.

Last edited by jamin_00; 05-17-2013 at 05:14 AM..
jamin_00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What surprised me after the devastating loss was seeing the batteries internally fine. Even my ec5 connections. What I can mostly gather is seeing the negative wire lead nkw separated from unit still having the internal mounting tab attached. All exterior connection still good and battery cells fine. The esc took most of the damage. But its flames affected the exterior of many things as shown.

It has crushed me emotionally. As everything was brand new. And I was ready to attend some fun flys all proud of the big machine and its equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368787409778.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	420835   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368787427929.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	420836   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368787475506.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	420837   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368787498490.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	420838   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368787516624.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	420839  

Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Kosmik 200/770 loss

Im really sorry for your loss ! What packs were you using Thunder Power ?
robbarnes1098 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

:beer:
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
tomroarh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry for your loss. These electronics are taking a beating with all of the power demands we're putting on them these days.

So something other than a CC went up in flames, you go with the best and still can have problems.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in