Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Eagle Tree Systems

Eagle Tree Systems Onboard data loggers, telemetry, and OSD support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Eagletree and Apple Mac's?

Does the Eagletree software run under Parallels on a Mac or would I have to use Boot Camp?
J-S-Q is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think I saw mention of success under Parallels. I decided to skip Eagletree altogether when they flatly refused any openness about the data protocol so I could do it without Windows at all. Data is data, let me write my own analysis tools, and leave MSFT out of it.
halley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Having 'skipped' Eagle Tree, have you come across any kind of alternative that would work with a Mac?
J-S-Q is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by halley View Post
I think I saw mention of success under Parallels. I decided to skip Eagletree altogether when they flatly refused any openness about the data protocol so I could do it without Windows at all. Data is data, let me write my own analysis tools, and leave MSFT out of it.
So you find yourself to be a helpful contributor in the Eagle Tree forum in what way?

I do not have to be politically correct. I am not a politician.
K-50 / 500ESP /450SEv2 /H200SD / mCX / RF4.5 / 10C 2.4GHz
Ecklund1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running my eagle tree on my Mac...but on the (boot camp) windows side...so far it's pretty flawless...
Yardape is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by halley View Post
Since you "skipped Eagle Tree" why here at all...or ya just hoping .....
Old 05-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You know, there is another thread that talks about the actual protocol. There are notes from an eagle tree rep discussing future improvements to the protocol, and making it more openly accessible see the post from billpa it looks promising.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=134319
nexgen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I haven't been able to get it to run under the latest release of VMWare Fusion. No reaction when its plugged in.

So right now, I'm using my little EEE PC to download data. Not very optimal.

Looking forward to a Mac version of the software.
"Tarbosaurus" HDX-450 SE v4 flown 96x crashed 7x 2221-8 v2; D202MGs; 2100T+DS290G belt cp 450 fl/cr 35:11x HK-450fl/cr 22:4 e-smart 600 fl/cr 13:1 Lama V4 fl 7 HK-T500 fl/cr 5:1 3026-1210; HS-225MGs DX6i Total flights: 171; crashes: 24 "Accident Free for 1 Flights!" --- www.tarbosaurus.org
nasukaren is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm using Boot Camp on a MacBook Pro 15".

I started using Boot Camp because Real Flight G4.5 doesn't work well under any of the other virtualization systems like VMware or Parallels.
Never had any issues other then the normal Windows crashes and Blue Screens that everyone just excepts as normal.

AJ
Flightlutions is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am running the V3 logger under VMware just fine.

I just got the system and so far its great.

I have the OSD Pro on order also but July 15th I think is the data.
Trex 600 ESP, Gaui 425
edhall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Eagletree and Apple Macs

Thats cool that mac percentage has gone up that much I think they are getting more popular in UK now too with more Apple Stores and such being opened. Deimn guys! Black eyed peas - Boom boom pow has blowed my brain ))) try it and write me PM your mind)
bigpipe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hi,

Just a quick note on Parallels. Parallels 3.x worked fine, but Eagle Tree equipment (and apparently other "HID" based USB devices) stopped working with Parallels 4.x.

We sent equipment to Parallels, and it works now with their latest 4.x, but apparently problems occur when the Mac is suspended. A reboot is required to recover from that issue.

We have informed Parallels of this and hope they get it fully functional soon.
billpa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Another vote for a mac version. At least provide an export raw data utility, the rest the community can do happily. Or re-write the app as a web service and we could just dump the data under an account to your website and create (and share) the graphs and data there. It is mostly what people want to do anyway. Then you don't have to bother with complex host based software, it becomes just a data extraction utility that can easily run under any OS.
nyc863 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using EagleTree in the following 3 arrangements:

on a macbook (13.3" white) with Mac OS X version 10.5.6.

1) I am using Parallels 4.0.3844, hosting Windows XP sp2 and about 10% of the time EagleTree works with it, but most of the time, EagleTree's datalogger is not found by Parallels when it is plugged in. the real reason I have Parallels is because RealFlight runs quite well, I am flabbergasted why Parallels can find the Interlink controller, but not the EagleTree. Parallels in this setup also is incapable of finding the CastleLink hardware.

2) Windows XP sp2 inside VirtualBox 2.1.2, It works 90% of the time, occasionally VirtualBox will not see the USB device, and will not pass it along to Windows XP, but it is much better than parallels

I am also using it on the following setup,:

3) Dell Mini 9 upgraded to 2gb ram, and a runcore 32gb SSD, running Mac OS X 10.5.7 and VirtualBox 2.2.4, hosting Windows XP sp2 this works 100%. Using VB 2.1.2 on this setup worked about 30% of the time. This setup won't work with Parallels 4.

I think it is the combination of 10.5.7, and 2.2.4. I am going to update the MacBook to 2.2.4 and see if it gets 100%.

I also use virtualbox on the dell mini 9 to let me run the CastleLink Software.

I too hate the fact that neither Castle Creations nor EagleTree have mac software. I would buy it immediately if it were available.
timsenecal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Agreed. In this day and age......

I use a Harmony remote, what I like about it is that it apparently uses a java app on the Mac/PC to communicate to program it. It makes for a very easy port to different platforms.

I think EagleTree or CastleCreations should both think about using Java as the base for their applications, rather than Microsoft .NET.

K
"Tarbosaurus" HDX-450 SE v4 flown 96x crashed 7x 2221-8 v2; D202MGs; 2100T+DS290G belt cp 450 fl/cr 35:11x HK-450fl/cr 22:4 e-smart 600 fl/cr 13:1 Lama V4 fl 7 HK-T500 fl/cr 5:1 3026-1210; HS-225MGs DX6i Total flights: 171; crashes: 24 "Accident Free for 1 Flights!" --- www.tarbosaurus.org
nasukaren is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 12:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Boot camp for me as well. I have this old laptop that I can bring to the field, or I can use the lcd screen.

EatMorePizza is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in