Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default KDE PERFORMANCE TAIL CONTROL

Anybody installed the KDE upgraded tail on their Logo? If so, thoughts?

Link: KDE PERFORMANCE TAIL CONTROL
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's kinda all been said on RR's Mikado section. There is a post there about it already.

They use the same parts for a T-Rex 600 upgrade as well. See it on RCHR:

Bling is bling...

Edit: Sorry, I did what I hate when others do the same thing...and that is answering a post without reading it carefully. The original question was, "...Anybody installed..."

No, I haven't. So the only "fact" I can use in my answer, is that they DO use the same parts on their T-Rex upgrade.

(-: Dave
dahld is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahld View Post
It's kinda all been said on RR's Mikado section. There is a post there about it already.

They use the same parts for a T-Rex 600 upgrade as well. See it on RCHR:

Bling is bling...

Edit: Sorry, I did what I hate when others do the same thing...and that is answering a post without reading it carefully. The original question was, "...Anybody installed..."

No, I haven't. So the only "fact" I can use in my answer, is that they DO use the same parts on their T-Rex upgrade.

No worries. I figured it was just "bling" and not an actual performance upgrade. Oh well. Thanks Dave.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote, "I figured it was just "bling" and not an actual performance upgrade."

You know, until a bunch of guys buy it and try it, we don't really know. It could very well BE a performance upgrade...but if so, an expensive one for sure. Then again, the small increase in performance combined with the added weight and added parts count might not be worth the $$$.

I'm sure it will sell some. Many guys do like to "individualize" their helis...and nothin' wrong with that KDE has made a good living apparently offering such "upgrades" for others helis. But then again, those other helis might REALLY NEED the help (-:

dahld is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think i will be one of those people that fly as intended.... its still 99% precent pilot, 1% heli.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahld View Post
Quote, "I figured it was just "bling" and not an actual performance upgrade."

You know, until a bunch of guys buy it and try it, we don't really know. It could very well BE a performance upgrade...but if so, an expensive one for sure. Then again, the small increase in performance combined with the added weight and added parts count might not be worth the $$$.

I'm sure it will sell some. Many guys do like to "individualize" their helis...and nothin' wrong with that KDE has made a good living apparently offering such "upgrades" for others helis. But then again, those other helis might REALLY NEED the help (-:

I will most certainly keep an eye out for reports of its performance. Im not looking to downgrade my bird but dang that silver sure is purty.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Without having any experience with the KDE unit it's design on paper would appear to be an upgrade. Servos and brass slider may be happier as a result of the upgrade. Kind of like the counter bearing upgrade which may benefit some.
vteknical is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a downgrade for sure. Unless you dont mind extra friction between the slider and tail shaft.
There is more to it but just imagine with the slider in the left position in what direction will it move when there wasnt a tailshaft? The correct answer is towards the back of the heli. But the reason it doesnt move in that direction is because the tail shaft gives a opposing force. But this force also creates coulomb friction and that causes bad performance of the tail.
The friction is the highest with the slider to the left but it is there over the entire stroke.

So in theory this design is a lot worse then the original. You can also see in the video they chose the link lengths a bit strange. The last part of the movement to the left it will even almost lockup.
DannyvG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 03:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamgils View Post
This is a downgrade for sure. Unless you dont mind extra friction between the slider and tail shaft.
There is more to it but just imagine with the slider in the left position in what direction will it move when there wasnt a tailshaft? The correct answer is towards the back of the heli. But the reason it doesnt move in that direction is because the tail shaft gives a opposing force. But this force also creates coulomb friction and that causes bad performance of the tail.
The friction is the highest with the slider to the left but it is there over the entire stroke.

So in theory this design is a lot worse then the original. You can also see in the video they chose the link lengths a bit strange. The last part of the movement to the left it will even almost lockup.
I think you need to take another look at it. If the slider was to move to the left it would want to pull the slider forward, not back. That said remember the whole system is still rotating around a point so this friction you speak of creating 'bad performance' is a rather moot point. It would be no worse then the ball on the swash being driven up and down the mainshaft and in worse case remember the bearings in the slider are radial and are fully ready to take any radial loads thrown at them.

The idea of this part is to create a no comprise tail. The linkage setup KDE has chosen isnt the first time its been used, im pretty sure microheli made something similar a while back. That said this 'upgrade' elimiates the arc movement of a regular tail bellcrank on the pitch slider. This gives two main advantages, firstly it enables everything to be secured with a bearing race, promoting smoother movement under load and secondly, no slop
SBL1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBarless View Post
I think you need to take another look at it. If the slider was to move to the left it would want to pull the slider forward, not back.
Doesnt matter in what direction you are moving, the point is that servo forces contribute to friction forces between slider and tailshaft and it is the worst with the slider to the left.
Normally the fixed pivot point takes those loads but here you have a extra link with pivots so it can only take those forces when the extra link is extended fully in the direction of the tail boom either front or back. So in stead of the forces being taken by the fixed pivot it now is done by the slider on the tailshaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBarless View Post
That said remember the whole system is still rotating around a point so this friction you speak of creating 'bad performance' is a rather moot point. It would be no worse then the ball on the swash being driven up and down the mainshaft and in worse case remember the bearings in the slider are radial and are fully ready to take any radial loads thrown at them.
For a heading hold control loop it is bad news. First thing everybody says when you complain about a wag is how smooth the tail moves.
The extra pivot link and the fact that the fork is attached to the slider is what causes the extra friction.

Just make a free body diagram of the original and the KDE and you will see what I mean.

Last edited by DannyvG; 11-02-2011 at 05:31 AM..
Old 11-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamgils View Post
Just make a free body diagram of the original and the KDE and you will see what I mean.
I do understand what you mean and completely agree with you. Just understand that every design has compromises and this is no different. This design addresses issues that the orginal tail had however it obviously carries flaws of its own. Who knows if it will improve the tail response or degrade it, they only way you will know is by testing it. My experience will KDE tail upgrades is that they are better off left alone though.

Keen to hear from soneone whos used it.
SBL1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have same setup on my Mini Titan.
While it works well(when shaft is oil'd) and has zero slop I will not be putting Trex bling on my Logo.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have a picture of that tail, I am very interested in how it looks.

@slowbarless, I get your point now.
I am just wondering if they are aiming at correcting a problem that doesnt exist and create another problem in the process.
You only encounter play when going through the negative pitch, above and below the thrust force will take out the play.

Who actually has problems with the logo tail? And what are the problems?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Will grab a pic later. It is standard setup on Mini-Titan if you want to DL manual or cruise pic thread.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=29494
Old 11-03-2011, 04:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see, that surprises me. But as you pointed out, oiling the shaft improves performance so it just shows there is to much friction.

Still seems like a downgrade to me. Wont be spending 90USD to try it.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yup for sure the MT needs oil everyday out which would confirm there is some friction there. No slop though and it works.

I'm sure they're setup works well but I see no need for improvement over stock when properly setup and maintained.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in