Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 360 as a 3s

Hello, i have an old tired trex 450 pro and i think im done with it, don't really want to spend the money to fix it up. Just wondering if anyone has used the electronics/batteries from a 450 in the warp 360 to any success. Eventually i would upgrade to 6s.
Jrbman31 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I too had a 450 Pro which I got rid of to get this heli. I kept my ESC and got rid of the rest (except LiPos, I use those in a plank now).

I am not too confident that you will be able to find a 3s motor with the proper kv to run in this heli at 3s.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think that 6s on this heli is one of the things that make it as good as it is. 6s on a 450 may give the impression that it will be manically 'over powered' but this is not the case.

I use a YGE to provide a governed head speed and bank switching on my ikon. The Warp flys well at a wide range of headspeeds so by using a combination of the two it will do calm or alert equally as well. It'll also do 5 mins + of mixed which is one of the things I really like about 6s on this heli.

Also on 3s, I'd suspect 325 blades would be the order of the day. As this is a larger 450, this may dampen it spirits somewhat - I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this
Old 06-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's. I would love to get the 360 it's just that I have quite a few 2200 3s batteries. I may go for the mini protos.
Jrbman31 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your lipo's are 35mm x 105mm x 27mm max, then the JR Forza 450 looks to be an ideal 3s 450. It's brand new, so like the Warp, is slightly larger, uses sturdier components and being JR of high quality. If you're keen to use your 3s lipos, i think this may be a good option to consider.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could always get the Warp with the stock motor... transfer over servos and FBL and stick a 50-60A ESC in there and run the stock motor on 3s. This will give you roughly half the HS with the same pinion. You could fly that way until you have a chance to move to 6s packs.

I was going to try some 3s packs yesterday, but my ESC is only 40A and I didn't want to mess around with a potential thermal shutdown on the ESC (not sure it would just didn't want to try). 50-60A should give you plenty of headroom though.

edit: you would get about 1850 rpm w/ 16t
1960 rpm w/ 17t

Saje Marvin - Citizen 125
Raz0rSh4rp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarvin View Post
You could always get the Warp with the stock motor... transfer over servos and FBL and stick a 50-60A ESC in there and run the stock motor on 3s. This will give you roughly half the HS with the same pinion. You could fly that way until you have a chance to move to 6s packs.

I was going to try some 3s packs yesterday, but my ESC is only 40A and I didn't want to mess around with a potential thermal shutdown on the ESC (not sure it would just didn't want to try). 50-60A should give you plenty of headroom though.
I seriously doubt many people would enjoy flying this heli at 1500 RPM... not even sure it would fly at all.

My low RPM is 2700, and it flys well, but I cant see going that much lower.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

here is a vid:

Warp 360 , amazing low head speed !! (2 min 57 sec)

3d on a 10% throttle curve. Not saying its easy... just saying its doable and was something I was considering.

1850 (16t) is plenty more than a 10% throttle curve on 6s... (trying to find a HS # for some reason I am thinking it comes out somewhere around 1400rpm)

Old 06-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

1850 is assuming 100% efficiency with a flat 100% throttle curve. We both know that's not the case. Realistically, running the stock motor on 3s you will probably see around 1500-1600 in the beginning of the flight, diminishing to like 1300.

Remember the comments about this video? He said it would 'barely loop'.

Just saying, its not a great idea. For experimentation sure, eat your heart out, but I would never recommend somebody to fly like this until they can afford to upgrade. It's not easy flying low HS like this.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see your point on not recommending it... I just did because this is something I considered in the beginning. I ended up just buying a battery with the kit instead. There is another user that has been doing this with success.

Maybe pm him about it: Generalx5

I'd have some anecdotal evidence, but I don't wanna push it with the 40A speed controller. He's running a 60A.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

One more thing: That video was shot with 18 t pinion, and if i remember correctly with a motor around 1500 kv.
Should be around 50% with stock setup (1320 kv+16t pinion).
Old 06-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only way I would do a 3s Warp would be with the KDE motor if you can gear it properly. I have a stretched 450 pro v2 setup with the same esc and servos as my Warp, Radix 350mm mains, and the 450xf 3500kv motor at 10:1 and it doesn't bog, it flies great.
Danny Dugger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you had to choose, does fit fly as good as a 6S Warp though?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well that really depends. If its set up for 3s in a way where you get full headspeed (not 6s running on 3s) then it should have similar performance. I say similar because its less efficient, so it will not run as cool and you may have a little less power, but overall, it should fly pretty similar.

Now 6s setup running on 3s, I don't see how it will fly 'as well' considering you will have only half of the headspeed. I'm sure it will still fly well, considering the fact that this is a great heli...

I do fly low-ish headspeed, just not that low. This heli is in fact surprisingly good at low headspeed (the 450 Pro flew like crap at 2800), I just did a flight at 2700 about an hour ago in 15+ mph winds and it was nice.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its an interesting comparison. I find the warp on 6s a bit like a small car with a power engine, It's really flexible. I can effortlessly use the power for low headspeed practice in the garden or equally make it scream like a banshee given the room. It will do either well without breaking a sweat. This to me is the benefit of 6s on a 450. Before i tried it i wasn't sure 6s was reqired but once i had, it made perfect sense. There are so many dileamas with this hobby
Old 06-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: 360 as a 3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinskUK View Post
If you had to choose, does fit fly as good as a 6S Warp though?
The best choice is definitely 6s. The tail on the pro cannot hold a candle to the Warp, and the Warp is a much tougher machine. Believe it or not I cant tell much difference in power between the two helis, the KDE motor is that strong. On 3s the ice lite 50 esc draws twice the current and naturally runs hotter. You might have trouble finding proper COG depending on the weight of your 3s batteries. The warp has a heavy tail.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Danny Dugger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Normal 3s lipos are around 175g if I remember correctly. I'm running 265g 6s lipos and have the battery pretty far forward to get proper CG. I think you'd have to hang your 3s lipos on a fishing pole out in front of the model for proper balance. I would say that 3s 2500mah or 2650 lipos might be a better fit, but that doesn't help as you'd still have to get new batteries.
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in