Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 700 DFC tail issue

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but I was doing the maiden hover and the tail shaft snapped where the tail rotor attaches. I was only a few feet off the ground when it happened so there is no other damage than what you see. It is a bummer because I am leaving on vacation tomorrow and as planning on taking this one with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tail1.jpg
Views:	2836
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	341119   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail.jpg
Views:	3032
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	341120   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail2.jpg
Views:	3365
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	341130   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail3.jpg
Views:	2304
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	341131   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail4.jpg
Views:	2249
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	341132  

dennisb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you have the same issue with the other member who posted here:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...423238&page=22

See post no. 215 by brwilkins.
what-d-heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same exact problem I've had. I had 2 of them break on me. The first time the entire heli had to be rebuilt minus the electronics. The second time I was able to auto it down. So, I'm on my 3rd tail rotor shaft now. I hope this isn't a bad batch of steel or something.

I noticed on the two that snapped on me, the little plastic arms that connect the grips to the slider broke. I wasn't sure whether that was a result of the tail shaft breaking or the other way around, but to isolate them as being the potential problem, I ordered the tail upgrade kit from KDE that replaces those arms with metal ones. On my first to shafts, it took about 6 flights before the shaft broke, so we'll see how this one does with those new arms.

You might want to contact somebody at Align or Assurance RC. I sent my first broken shaft to Assurance but haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Please keep us posted on your progress with this. I'll do the same on the thread linked above.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone tried a 600 tail box on the 700? I think the last few mm milled from the shaft has weakened it to the point where it snaps, where the 600 is one continuous piece.
Cascade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I called Assurance today but they asked me to call back Monday and ask for Tim. I ordered a replacement rotor shaft today from HD. If you look you can see I am using the KDE upgrade. The problem now is that when the shaft broke it blew 2 of the bearings in those KDE arms. Not sure how easy it will be to find those. I will keep you posted how this turns out.
dennisb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
Has anyone tried a 600 tail box on the 700? I think the last few mm milled from the shaft has weakened it to the point where it snaps, where the 600 is one continuous piece.
I think I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Align changed the tail ratio on this one, so I'm not sure whether a 600 tail would work.

I put 3 flights on mine this morning since swapping out the linkage to the KDE. So far, so good. I'm nervous flying it though, just waiting for that shaft to snap off again. Hopefully third time's a charm.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail ratio should be identical, there's no reduction in the rear TT gears so it's 1:1 .
If the load on the tail is purely from the tail grips transferring to the shaft it would make a lot of sense to use the 600 box without the weak shoulder.
The gears are slightly smaller OD however the 600 tail spins faster.
Both 600/700 use the same TT fitting and the 600 tail is lighter so CG should be better.

I'll try to get photos of the 600 and 700 tail boxes later.
Cascade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail

Uh ohh. I noticed the tail assembly is kinda loose like..so i better be careful..wilwl i be. Ok to sport fly or hover. ..just maidened hovered today went ok..but now iam worried?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail

Uh ohh. I noticed the tail assembly is kinda loose like..so i better be careful..wilwl i be. Ok to sport fly or hover. ..just maidened hovered today went ok..but now iam worried?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

tim was out at ircha all week and i think will be in the office on tues
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Maiden today ,,suddenly auto at 20 foot,,lol

So lovin the power and sport flyin,,all i iwant to do so far first flight,,and about three minutes in. Power cuts off nothing at about 20 ft. So glad i been practicing my auto rotations. Just baby ones at 5 feet. But now it paid off big time. So i iforgot to turn into wind. Cause panic set in slightly,,lol and landed it fine but grass Ground was uneven and tipped over ,, no damage ,, but we hovered it few minutes later to check it it was fine. Tail was fine etc ..maybe esc got hot. It was very hot sunny south florida 90 plus degrees..?? Hmm.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have the ESC logs to see what the temp was?
HarveyR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

did you set the motor timing a stock 5 and you should be at 12kpm

what is your head speed and what kind of packs are you running need more info
Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Harvey. No i dont. How can i do that ? Thankyou
Don
Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dino. My my local guys at store set up program. I will ask him if he did thank you. Don
Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If this is the CC ESC then you require the USB interface to download the logs and make changes to the advanced settings (governor etc...). I would suggest purchasing one as they are rather inexpensive compared to the ESC (like <$30, I got mine for $20).

IF the timing is not set appropriately this could increase the ESC temp and cause the shut down, this can be viewed in the log output as mentioned.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dino. I know initially i set my pitch to 14 degrees and first hover did not like it then set to 13 ,, now i see book says 12 on the castle specs ,, so i will change that when i get home in two weeks.. And also purchase a log setup. I have specktrum telemetry but not installed.. I have the temp sensor and brushless rpm sensor. Should i use that ?
Old 08-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you need to get the adapter and look at the logs to see what happened and then check (or do) the setup to see exactly what's happening. In my opinion you can hardly hope to use the CC on a demanding application (700 size heli) without a setup through the adapter (there are many little parameters which are important, and you can't access them through the beeping setup routine).
HarveyR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

for now keep things simple i will post a vid of the setup of my CC so you can see it
Old 08-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok thanks much.. Appreciate it.. I plan to get a new charger also for mainly 6s batts etc.. But would love to charge and see what the batteries are doing ea cell etc. on the screen ..opposed to just charging on a paraboard unless you see everything on a screen from the ea battery etc. looking into it slowly.. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in