Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Eagle Tree Systems

Eagle Tree Systems Onboard data loggers, telemetry, and OSD support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 02:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Altimeter Microsensor malfunctioning

I just bought an Altimeter Microsensor V3 for my datalogger. The unit seems to work in a really strange way. Or what do you say about this?

Has anyone encountered anything similar before? I have updated my EagleTree PC software and the firmwares for the data logger and the OSD expander. The loggin gear are on board a CopterX heli, powered by 3S 3000mAh batteries. I have contacted EagleTree support (who replied me at once on a Friday night at 21:00 ) but they have not figured out any solution or cause for my problem yet.
Trnquill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
3dz
Registered Users

I use one, but only as standalone, just curious, did the LED display the correct maximum altitude when you landed ? I would guess not, since from your display, it seems to keep resetting back to 0/1, then bouncing all over. Interesting to see negative too, because I think the instructions say it has to go above 60 feet to reset to a new high altitude.

BTW: What type of video camera are you using?

3dz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

Looks like something has to be faulty in the wiring or the unit itself, to get those random values. Did ET offer anything as far as sending it back for repair or refund?
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dz View Post
I use one, but only as standalone, just curious, did the LED display the correct maximum altitude when you landed ?
I didn't/haven't check/ed the LCD much, it's just all over the place. It usually displays a 4-digit number, not anything in magnitude of 65000 as seen on the video.

Quote:
BTW: What type of video camera are you using?
That's a RangeVideo DX201.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trexflyer02 View Post
Looks like something has to be faulty in the wiring or the unit itself, to get those random values. Did ET offer anything as far as sending it back for repair or refund?
We have not really talked about sending it back or anything with ET just yet, just one reply from them for now. But I guess we will continue the dialog tomorrow.

There's an ET graph of the video flight attached - boy my heli has a crazy climb rate!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	090828_osd.gif
Views:	80
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	112818  
Old 09-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh, I guess I was a bit too optimistic about EagleTree support. Have not heard from them since the first an so far only mail on last Friday.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
3dz
Registered Users

that sucks, I would think they would just send you a replacement, and have you send yours back ... after all, it's pretty light and tiny and fits in an envelope..
Old 09-02-2009, 02:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
that sucks, I would think they would just send you a replacement, and have you send yours back ... after all, it's pretty light and tiny and fits in an envelope..
Yep. And the unit is clearly malfunctioning. I also had the impression from the initial email that they were really interested on what would cause the unit function this way. And from that I'd believe they would like to have the unit back to examine it closer.

I was thinking of buying a GPS expander and OSD Pro but this case makes me have second thoughts. All I can do is continue waiting for a reply...
Old 09-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
3dz
Registered Users

You emailed them, right? because I see they say they have an auto-respond email...
I would probably call them, and ask them if they can send you another unit.
From their web site: "We strive to provide unmatched customer support."

and

If you prefer not to contact us with the choices above and woulld rather contact us by telephone, call us at 1-425-614-0450, extension 3. Our normal telephone support hours are 1 PM to 4:00PM, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, USA Pacific Time (GMT – 7). Our telephone support center is closed on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

because I've had pretty good luck calling most places. I will admit I've had issues with some, but most have been pretty good. But I do have better luck calling then via email.

hope you can get a working replacement ..., it would make sense they would want to get yours back to locate the issue...
Old 09-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

Email is a very unreliable method to contact someone, I would definitely try calling.
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
You emailed them, right? because I see they say they have an auto-respond email...
I emailed, yes. Got the auto-response and then a real response. But that's it, nothing after that for my next two emails.

I think ET is trying to say in their web page that they prefer contacting by email. And if that's not okay with you, then you can call. If they tell me to contact by email and don't respond in days... that's just poor customer service.

But I guess this will work out!

EDIT, 5.9.2009: Not too sure about ET wanting to sort this out anymore. I have emailed them several times during this week and the only replies have been the automatic "we will contact you during the next two days" autoreplies. The one and only reals reply I have from them was over an week ago. They asked what software versions I was using, that's all. I'm not impressed.

EDIT, 7.9.2009: Still nothing.

Last edited by Trnquill; 09-07-2009 at 04:22 AM..
Old 09-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Gee, if email isn't working... pick up the phone!

I have an altitude sensor and it seems OK, at least within reason for a barometric device who's opening is just hanging out there (no static port).
Danal Estes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danal Estes View Post
Gee, if email isn't working... pick up the phone!
Yeah, I know. It's just a matter of principle and stubborn ol' me. If a company asks customers to contact them by email as a preferred means of communication, that's just what I'll do. And I prefer email over phone on anything I would like to have documented and written down for future use, anyways. I guess replacing a malfunctioning product is a job for the seller, not the manufacturer. I was just curious to see if EagleTree had interest in debugging the "feature" or if they had some inside information on what might be causing it. I'm always curious to know why something is working the way it is rather than just swapping it for a new one.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I hear you. I prefer email as well, pretty strongly.
Danal Estes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in