Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question Question on batt and chargers

Okay

My Protos is for the most part completed and Now I have to make a few big decisions. But I could use some help you guys.... I have a T14 pinion on my Protos 500 and I only plan to hover and work on basics for now. I read low head speeds 1800 - 2000 are most likely the best for hovering and long flights. What mah / C rating batteries do you suggest.. I'm new to the lippo ratings and I had been a way for a while..

Next Question is Chargers what's the best for charging at home and safe.. I plan to have a few packs that I will charge at home and take to the local field to fly.

Set up
CC100A Lite
BeastX
T14 Pinion
Hyperion 880kv
Non stretch

Thanks
Happy Holidays
Solex
solex227 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can only tell you what I use and that has worked well for me. Lot's of good chargers and battery's out there, so you will get many reply's. I use SKY LIPO 2650 mah 40c battery's from Hobbypartz, and were only about $35.00 ea. So far, so good with them. I use a HiTECH X2 charger, 2 ports, up to 10 amps per port, and got it from a LHS for about $149.00 and has worked great for over a year. the only other thing I can point out is there is a pinion/Batt. chart that was in the Protos manual, and it shows for a 6s 2650 LIPO, that between 2400 and 2500 RPM for ' SPORT ' flying. I just followed their chart and it works OK for me. Of course others will have good opinions on this. I seem to get everything working pretty darn well, but there are others, better qualified than I to give you suggestions. Just giving you my 2 cents.

Happy Holidays to you !
ROGER G is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 02:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ran my stock protos at similar to above (2400-2600) rpm with a 2600 mah gens ace battery and with just sport flying i would get around 6:30 flight times...im sure you could get away with lower headspeed but dont know if it will extend hover time.

As for charger..I have an x2 and a i306b..I would buy another icharger in a heartbeat. Other good chargers are fma(powerlab) or hyperion. I beleive these are the common high power charger. I would buy one of these if you havent already so you dont have to buy again later. I loved my x2 but now im running a 12s 600 sized heli and the x2 just cant keep up.

Happy Holidays!

Sent from my Galaxy SIII with Tapatalk...spelling will be bad
Old 12-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also use the Gens Ace 2600 6S and I am very happy with them. Personally I would never go as low as 2000 rpm HS - below about 2400 it feels really sluggish to me. With packs only costing $40 or so, if you want more flight time just buy an extra pack or two and keep it flying nicely - just my 2 penneth.

Cheers,
Mike.
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thank you for the advice I found the motor pinion chart page in the PDF instructions for the carbon. What about running without a governor? good or bad Idea? Im not doing any 3d just hovering and some FF....

Gen ace brand lipos are top of my list but they are sold out everywhere.. I may try Nano tech If I can get my hands on the Gen Ace when I'm ready. how much weight should I look for in a 6s batt .. I see some weighing in at 500 g range.. what would be considered too heavy with the non stretch.

Chargers I will look into the ones mention so far.. have any of you heard of or own a IMAX B6 DUO charger? I was looking at Imax b6 duo and being 6s is going to be the max size batt I plan to charge for now it seem pretty good? I didn't compare it yet to the brands mention. Also, on the Hyperion charger what model should I be looking at?

Thanks again for the help

Happy Holidays
May we all a get new Heli combo under our tree this year!!!
Solex277
Old 12-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have seen two or the imax charged s catch fire. I had a bantom charger that apparently works pretty good (sold it) but the balancing mode isnt adjustable and can take for ever. If you are gonna spend over 100.00 on a charger save little more amd buy a good one and buy once...check progressiverc.com or epbuddy.com. the hyperion chargers are pricey but good and can be bought at amainhobbies. I said I would only be running 6s machines at most also and I still am just running 6s but one takes two 6s packs to run. I have two helis that run on 6s and I can charge 6 packs at same time with no issues. Quickly if I want. You will quickly exceed the limits of the lesser chargers.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrceo View Post
I have seen two of the imax chargers catch fire. I had a bantom charger that apparently works pretty good (sold it) but the balancing mode isnt adjustable and can take for ever. If you are gonna spend over 100.00 on a charger save little more amd buy a good one and buy once...check progressiverc.com or epbuddy.com. the hyperion chargers are pricey but good and can be bought at amainhobbies. I said I would only be running 6s machines at most also and I still am just running 6s but one takes two 6s packs to run. I have two helis that run on 6s and I can charge 6 packs at same time with no issues. Quickly if I want. You will quickly exceed the limits of the lesser chargers.

Okay.. Imax who?... I know I do not want a fire in my house. I think I will go with the Icharger306B also with the PowerMax PM3-45 45a continuous, 600w.Power supply. Now only if It was in stock like the batts I would start shopping but I guess it will be better to wait prices might be better maybe. thanks smrceo and every one else.

Last edited by solex227; 12-22-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Old 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been very happy with the Hyperion EOS0615i DUO3. It is a dual port charger. I can charge or store 8 5000mah packs at once (4 in // on each side). I'm using a P350 power supply with it (from RC Power). I think I got the power supply (and also // charging cables ) from progressive RC:

http://www.progressiverc.com/

Chief
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in